rugbyunion
Latest News:
We are The Warriors! The Mighty Worcester Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

Warrior7
Today
Warrior7 (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 14:51
Really need to carry it lower into contact and the support work needs to be better - we're going to be run out of the match if we can't keep the ball more than this.

MESSAGES->author
Re: Today
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 15:39
Sounds like our forwards and the lineout are not fit for purpose!

JP

Warrior7
Warrior7 (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 15:40
To be fair the backs have wasted the ball also. We are tackling far too high to be able to compete in this game.

MESSAGES->author
01 December, 2018 15:41
We dont even sound like we have any input on the game, poor, poor, poor,, performance AGAIN.

JP

MESSAGES->author
01 December, 2018 15:43
Predict we will concede at least 2 more tries and score none.

JP

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 15:47
what's the score?

Warrior7
Warrior7 (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 15:48
Maybe everyone should just pass it rediculously high so you can't tackle the winger and they score everytime.

Warrior7
Warrior7 (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 15:48
22-9 with Pennell in the bin, Barry and Cox in the backrow.

MacWarrior
MacWarrior (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 15:54
What a complete joke, embarrassing !

Warr-i-ors!
Warr-i-ors! (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 15:55
36-9. Dear oh dear.

MacWarrior
MacWarrior (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 15:56
There goes our positive points difference

Underdog
Underdog (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 16:10
Hard to judge from Twitter but they seemed to give up a lot of penalties on their line with no real punishment.

Gloucester have been a very complete side for the past two seasons, missing only consistency. This season, they have found some of that, and have improved in attack to boot. It's not like we should expect losses, but neither should we expect it to be easy against the top teams.

Sounds like we've copped a beating, but the team were still going at the end. As long as the coaches react and we improve, I can live with it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2018 16:17 by Underdog.

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 16:14
We need to get some fresh players in I think on short term contracts. Especially in the forwards..theyíre driving me nuts

I worry we might have lost a bit of form while the teams below are picking up form

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 16:15
Glaws scored 4 tries in 14 mins at start of second half (what was it you said JP?)

Warrior7
Warrior7 (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 16:18
We somehow need to find a way of reeling the players in because when we have the ball we just want to offload constantly - need to know when to not offload. Also improve the forwards. Then we might be able to hang onto it.
What has happened to Ethan Waller's scrummaging since last season?

Underdog
Underdog (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 16:21
Quote:
AJWarriors
We need to get some fresh players in I think on short term contracts. Especially in the forwards..theyíre driving me nuts
I worry we might have lost a bit of form while the teams below are picking up form
Great as Hill has been (and I'm really not laying any blame at his door), he's 19 and a great prospect. We have definitely missed Mama. Faosiliva and Fatialofa should help enormously.

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 16:22
Falcons could still win. Camped on Saints line

Falcons win.

We need a kick up the ass. We seemed to have relaxed a little which is nothing new. Teams below us are reeling us in and are on form.

Hope Solly gets a few people in

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2018 16:26 by AJWarriors.

Simba
Simba (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 16:27
Could be bottom by end of play tomorrow.

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 16:30
We canít

Simba
Simba (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 16:32
Your correct. We canít. Must try positive thinking.

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 16:37
We need this euro window to do some serious work and hopefully a bit of recruitment. The depth isnít as good as I thought it was.

The forwards are becoming our Achilles heel at the moment in key positions

MESSAGES->author
01 December, 2018 16:40
We will end up 9th after today's disaster.

JP

Malvern Man
Malvern Man (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 17:05
No, we'll be tenth. Either Sale or Bath must get four points.

We need the heavies back for the Northampton game.

Whispering_Death
Whispering_Death (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 18:02
Gloucester will probably be a top four side come the end of the season. But we were ponderous in attack, we couldnít keep hold of the ball for any length of time, and our first up tacking for pretty much all their tries was rubbish.

I really canít figure out where we are as a team. We seem to have gone backwards with our attack over the last few weeks, but I guess after making progress history tells us we always go backwards.

WorcesterSauce
WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 18:57
We have no depth. Our first 15 is pretty good but there are such weak players if you scrap just slightly beneath the surface.

Black
M Williams
Phillips
Barry
Heaney

Are simply not good enough. The only one of them who may get there is Heaney. When you are missing Mama, Hougaard and Lewis we struggle. We still capitulate away from home like we simply dont do at home. It hasnít been sorted and itís frustrating.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2018 18:58 by WorcesterSauce.

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 19:19
Bit harsh on Phillips, I still think he could make a decent premiership player but I do agree with your post.

Today the second row and the backrow were outplayed so the backs didn't get enough ball, at the same time their backs were at least as good as ours (Woodward looked the most dangerous back to me and comprehensively outplayed pennell).

I thought Gloucester should have had a yellow card for the amount of penalties they conceded close to the line in the last ten minutes but the ref was pretty fair and we deservedly lost, imho only sarries and Exeter have looked better than this Gloucester side.

Only way we're going to win games like this is with a better pack, injuries really hurt us but even full strength our second row is pretty weak (although hopefully our kiwi will help).

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 19:52
Now back from the usual chastening experience of a game at Kingsholm.
Putting it bluntly we were outmuscled, I will excuse Bresler in this as he put in some mighty tackles.
At H/T we were in the game ( with some fortune ) but in the second half against the wind, with 14 men for 10 minutes ( Pennell could have seen red )and a more clinical Glos side we saw the result and the scoreline that the teams on paper would have predicted.
We seem to have lost some our execution and the ability to stay calm. In the final minutes we should have scored another try but we seem to have resorted to panicking. Glos could have had a yellow card for persistent penalties.
Is Pennell the only player who can catch a high ball?
At both our own and Glos re-starts we always handed the ball to Glos.
Williams is not as yet a GP openside.
Our lineout, whilst better, is still not perfect, especially in attacking positions.
Then scrum was pretty solid though.
I agree with dkexile that apart for Sarries and Exeter we will not meet a better side, who today did not play especially well to beat us.
Two weeks break, but then another vital home game.
I think that the likelhood of getting any reinforcements AJWarrior is pretty remote, so we have what we have.

shrewsburyman
shrewsburyman (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 20:59
Back from the match and as Rollo says we were simply out muscled by a more physical Gloucester pack. Their backrow and locks were immense and their defence was very quick. Heinz was in a different class from Heaney whose box kicking was not great. With several jumpers in our lineout I was surprised to see us shorten the lineout

kiddykid
kiddykid (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 21:29
I have yet to see the highlights ( unfortunately I Could not go)but comments abou squad depth are not far off the mark. However, with Hougaard, Lewis, Mama, etc in the mix we ARE a pretty good team so managing injuries is key. Would having Teo made a difference? Should Waller have a run as first choice ? Let's get our new lock into action sooner rather than later.
I don't think we have serious problems but we just need some luck and some continuity. We did not have negative thoughts after the Brizzle and Quins games - and they were not that long ago.
Keep the faith!

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 21:54
Quote:
kiddykid
I have yet to see the highlights ( unfortunately I Could not go)but comments abou squad depth are not far off the mark. However, with Hougaard, Lewis, Mama, etc in the mix we ARE a pretty good team so managing injuries is key. Would having Teo made a difference? Should Waller have a run as first choice ? Let's get our new lock into action sooner rather than later.
I don't think we have serious problems but we just need some luck and some continuity. We did not have negative thoughts after the Brizzle and Quins games - and they were not that long ago.
Keep the faith!
We don't tend to have negative thoughts after we win.

WorcesterSauce
01 December, 2018 21:56
Thing is we need to beat Pau twice to qualify. Next week is actually a really big game. Iíd be tempted to play the first team and finish Pau off (in the group). Then for the reverse fixture they should have lost interest and we will probably be able to beat them putting out a weak side. The French are notoriously terrible away too.

Oh, and based on today Arr is above Heaney.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 22:20
Quote:
Malvern Man
Won't we be 11th if Bath lose but get a BP?

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
01 December, 2018 23:42
Quote:
w4rriorz1980
Quote:
Malvern Man
Won't we be 11th if Bath lose but get a BP?

No, weíd still be above Saints and Falcons, whatever happens between Bath and Sale. If Sake win and Bath get a bonus point weíll be 10th.

Not that it matters much anyway.......a few days ago we were being told we could be headed for top 4, which was technically correct!

And if my auntie had nuts sheíd be my uncle.

gmem
Garym (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 09:53
As I said a couple of days ago, we would be outmuscled and we were. Interesting that the Evening News says two bad performances either side of the Quins game. Common factor for both of these games were the size/strength of the packs (may both same on the paper, but they were physically stronger). Quins pack we played looked more like ours and we were able to compete. Val P-R is a good example, he was on the bench for them, while for us, he would start every single week, he also warmed up on his own, lets try and get him back!

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 10:16
Iíd like Val back too. We had a decent pack when he was with us. We need to really do some serious recruitment with the pack,especially the second and back row. I hope we can come out of the Euro period and get back on track and get Fatialofa in there asap too.

Things change so quickly in the Prem that I donít think the players realise?

WorcesterSauce
02 December, 2018 10:22
Our second rows are up there with the worst weíve ever had. Compare them with the likes of Blaze, Kitchener, Spencer, Gallarza, Gillies, Rawlinson and Collier and itís just embarrasing. There is no beef and no resly size. Bressler is just about ok but we really need Fatialofa involved asap. The front row is extremely lightweight and take GJ out the back row and so is that.

MESSAGES->author
knightstemplar (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 10:47
Depth of the front five and injuries in the back row as we predicted preseason I guess.

Very frustrating though to watch!

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 11:17
Quote:
WorcesterSauce
Our second rows are up there with the worst weíve ever had. Compare them with the likes of Blaze, Kitchener, Spencer, Gallarza, Gillies, Rawlinson and Collier and itís just embarrasing. There is no beef and no resly size. Bressler is just about ok but we really need Fatialofa involved asap. The front row is extremely lightweight and take GJ out the back row and so is that.

GJ isnít really the biggest 8 in the world either. I think heís only something like 17st 2 or around that. Ted is one of our biggest back rowers at 17st 5 and heís 19 and will get bigger,but I think Faosiliva is the biggest but he has hardly played. Completely agree with the second row assessment,itís really poor hence why we donít have a settled partnership at 4 and 5. Theyíre all inconsistent bar Bresler so far.

We need a pack like Exeterís and sort out the depth in the front row. Saying all this makes you realise thereís an awful lot of work to be done with recruitment

gmem
Garym (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 11:23
Quote:
WorcesterSauce

At least we should be safe from Tigers nicking anybody this season (Super Ted excepted)

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 11:43
Maybe we could nick some back? Kitch is out of contract at Tigers this season.

gmem
Garym (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 12:05
Quote:
AJWarriors
Maybe we could nick some back? Kitch is out of contract at Tigers this season.

Given the contempt he is held in on the Tigers forum, they would love to see him go!

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 12:09
Oh really?..maybe not then!

Ake1985
Ake1985 (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 12:30
AJ, you're normally pretty knowledgeable about player availability. You mention we need reinforcements. Any ideas?

We all knew the 2nd row was going to struggle this year as without Spencer it is weak. I don't really think Black is good enough but Waller doesn't seem to be pushing at all.

As others have said, apart from Lewis, Mama and Hill we need some real work in the pack.

MESSAGES->author
02 December, 2018 12:46
Whats frustrating for me is this was obvious preseason.

We need front 5 depth and without injuries and Du Preez back its not that bad in the back row.

I think we need a good 9 also asap even as cover when FH is crock. If FH had a long term injury we'd be stuffed I think.

Maybe a cover 10 also till Lance is back. Anyone of 4 could go down this season including us on yesterdays form.

rossi
Mr_Worcester (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 12:52
Going to stick my neck out and say that anyone in the current bottom 6 could go down. Bath certainly arenít safe and Tigers seem to have a toxic environment and are performing poorly even with all their internationals.

Iím hopeful that our game against Northampton at Sixways is a great chance of a bonus point win.

Losing away to a very strong Gloucester team that will finish top 4 is no reason to revert to our usual doom and gloom.

Itís been a good season so far but the Saints game is now very important. Iím backing us to beat them comfortably at Sixways. Hopefully we should have a full strength 23 by then including Fatialofa and Teo.

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 13:33
Quote:
Ake1985
AJ, you're normally pretty knowledgeable about player availability. You mention we need reinforcements. Any ideas?
We all knew the 2nd row was going to struggle this year as without Spencer it is weak. I don't really think Black is good enough but Waller doesn't seem to be pushing at all.

As others have said, apart from Lewis, Mama and Hill we need some real work in the pack.

This is a list of players that I know will be off contract this season. Whether we can can any of them is a different story though. I think thereís a possibility of a few out of that list we could target such as Coetzee as it was our attack coach who signed him for Ulster,but now LCD is close to signing a new deal at Chiefs too,so I donít really know?

Waisake Naholo
Tavita Li
Eben Etzebeth
Siya Kolisi
Sam Lousi (possible..Fatialofaís best friend)
Jack Conan
Liam Squire
Curwin Bosch
Don Armand
Amanaki Mafi
Victor Vito
Ardie Savea
Val Rapava Ruskin (possible..still close to a few in our squad)
Luke Cowan Dickie
Olly Woodburn
Sam Simmonds
Tomas Francis
Dave Atwood
Nathan Hughes
Marcell Coetzee (possible due to links with our attack coach from Ulster)
Graham Kitchener
Gabriel Ibitoye (linked with him in the Rugby Paper)
Chris Vui
Oli Kebble
Zander Ferguson
Matt Mullan
Grant Gilchrist (possible..played under Solly at Edinburgh and Solly really likes him)
Thomas Du Toit (Iíd personally love him to come..plays loose and tighthead)
Kieran Read
Elliot Daly
Dilyn Leyds

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2018 13:36 by AJWarriors.

MESSAGES->author
02 December, 2018 14:03
I guess it depends what budget is available from the new owners on rugby playing staff and their premiership ambitions?

Ronster
Drahm for England (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 15:00
Just a thought, did we deliberately recruit lighter, more mobile forwards to fit in with our fast, offloading game plan on our artificial surface?

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 15:21
A couple of people over the last month have mentioned we signed a huge forward, possibly South African. Given that all of the SH games have finished, I wonder if we'll hear something in the next week or so. Failing that, it was pure nonsense. Anyone heard anything?

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 15:36
Yea I did hear we had signed a lock from the Lions in SA called Andries Ferriera and he is big at 19st which is what we need,but still not all that tall at 6í5 unless they pair him with Fatialofa

I did hear that a few months ago though along with Amanaki Mafi,but he had just got arrested for beating up his team mate lol

BishBash
BishBash (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 16:06
Quote:
Drahm for England
Just a thought, did we deliberately recruit lighter, more mobile forwards to fit in with our fast, offloading game plan on our artificial surface?

Not sure about recruiting for such a scenario but we certainly appear to have a squad designed to be more nimble and less bulldozer. This is all very well, but if we don't produce quick ball or create space to build up a head of steam, our lighter weight pack is just going to get shoved around and turned over at the breakdown. Compare to the like of Reg, Tevita T, Aleki etc of not that long ago, they had bulk. I don't mind a faster, more athletic 4&5 or back row just get them on the pies a bit!

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 16:57
Quick and nimble might work on our pitch, but away from home on grass pitches in winter.......

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 19:11
Quote:
AJWarriors
Quote:
Ake1985

This is a list of players that I know will be off contract this season. Whether we can can any of them is a different story though. I think thereís a possibility of a few out of that list we could target such as Coetzee as it was our attack coach who signed him for Ulster,but now LCD is close to signing a new deal at Chiefs too,so I donít really know?

Waisake Naholo
Tavita Li
Eben Etzebeth
Siya Kolisi
Sam Lousi (possible..Fatialofaís best friend)
Jack Conan
Liam Squire
Curwin Bosch
Don Armand
Amanaki Mafi
Victor Vito
Ardie Savea
Val Rapava Ruskin (possible..still close to a few in our squad)
Luke Cowan Dickie
Olly Woodburn
Sam Simmonds
Tomas Francis
Dave Atwood
Nathan Hughes
Marcell Coetzee (possible due to links with our attack coach from Ulster)
Graham Kitchener
Gabriel Ibitoye (linked with him in the Rugby Paper)
Chris Vui
Oli Kebble
Zander Ferguson
Matt Mullan
Grant Gilchrist (possible..played under Solly at Edinburgh and Solly really likes him)
Thomas Du Toit (Iíd personally love him to come..plays loose and tighthead)
Kieran Read
Elliot Daly
Dilyn Leyds
I'd give my left arm for Kieran Read! Woodburn would be an excellent replacement for Heem/Adams.

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

Ake1985
Ake1985 (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 20:03
Quote:
AJWarriors
Yea I did hear we had signed a lock from the Lions in SA called Andries Ferriera and he is big at 19st which is what we need,but still not all that tall at 6í5 unless they pair him with Fatialofa
I did hear that a few months ago though along with Amanaki Mafi,but he had just got arrested for beating up his team mate lol

Despite Mafi seeming to be a bit of a nutcase, both players are almost exactly what we need. Big, heavy, aggressive ball carriers who break the line

WorcesterSauce
02 December, 2018 20:58
Heard weíve made a very strong bid for Kieran Reid. Must be true as itís the same bloke who told me Manu Tuilagi wa joining.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
02 December, 2018 21:42
Quote:
WorcesterSauce
Heard weíve made a very strong bid for Kieran Reid. Must be true as itís the same bloke who told me Manu Tuilagi wa joining.
(Sm126)

AndyMGlos
Lebowski (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 11:51
Re Val:

I think most Glos fans expected him to be our first choice LH but he has been very unlucky with injuries whereas Hohneck has been incredibly durable and consistent. I donít believe he is in any way out of favour, he simply hasnít been fit for more than a couple of weeks at a time. We are all hoping he can stay fit for an extended period.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net