rugbyunion
Latest News:
We are The Warriors! The Mighty Worcester Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

northstand warrior
Chris Pennell Cited
northstand warrior (IP Logged)
03 December, 2018 16:47

MESSAGES->author
Re: Chris Pennell Cited
IanRed (IP Logged)
03 December, 2018 17:46
A difficult one this. There didn't appear to be any intent, but looked awful on the replay.

Whispering_Death
Whispering_Death (IP Logged)
03 December, 2018 18:36
It was very clumsy, thatís it. Sharples landed on his side. For me itís a clear yellow no more. Canít really believe itís a citing but I clearly donít understand the laws of the game.

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
03 December, 2018 19:58
I rather thought that Sharples had put himself in that position by jumping so high. I was still surprised though that it was not a red.

SimonG19
SimonG19 (IP Logged)
03 December, 2018 21:11
Quote:
Whispering_Death
It was very clumsy, thatís it. Sharples landed on his side. For me itís a clear yellow no more. Canít really believe itís a citing but I clearly donít understand the laws of the game.

But it's not the laws is it? It's the interpretation of them which at the moment is to take action against players who come in to contact with opponents in the air be it clumsy (as I agree it was in this case) or malicious.

gmem
Garym (IP Logged)
03 December, 2018 21:40
Itís the lack of consistency that gets me. A player in the sarries - wasps game was tackled in mid air x penalty only and no subsequent citing.

Whispering_Death
03 December, 2018 22:18
Itís the outcome not the action anyway isnít it. I thought red was only if the player lands on their head or head and shoulder. Any ban for that would be crazy in my view. Was good to see them slap hands as Pennell went off.

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
03 December, 2018 23:03
I can see the citing panel go like this:

Panel: So you recklessly tackled Sharples in the air
Pennell: No, according to the laws you can't tackle a player in the air or without the ball, so I wasn't trying to. I was trying to catch the ball
Panel: But you upended Sharples
Pennell: That happened because he jumped higher than me.
Panel: You can retire while we consider
Panel: Verdict - According to the laws, you made contact with Sharples in the air, thus with mitigating circumstances and as we have to uphold the laws of the game, you will receive a one match suspension

Whispering_Death
04 December, 2018 07:30
If there is a suspension is that the panel effectively saying it should have been a red?

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 08:10
Apologies - I wasn't at the game nor have I seen a replay of the incident.

Was that incident referred to the TMO at the time? Did the referee have an opportunity to see what happened on the big screen?

shrewsburyman
shrewsburyman (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 08:24
Yes he saw the replay on the screen.

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 08:27
Quote:
Whispering_Death
If there is a suspension is that the panel effectively saying it should have been a red?

Yes.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

Brummagem Bertie
04 December, 2018 08:45
Having watched the lowlights I think any suspension for that would be incredibly harsh.

Whilst there is a duty of care this isn't a situation where the ball goes in the air from a kick and you expect a player to be jumping to catch the ball. It's a pass where Pennell initially seems to go for the intercept but misjudges. As he turns to try to get back out to where the ball is going Sharples, who has seemingly also seen the potential for an intercept, is coming infield, and jumps to catch a ball that would otherwise be going over his head.

As such, he's blindsided Chris and I don't think Chris has any expectation that Sharples will be in the air or any opportunity to avoid the collision.

To me, it's just an unfortunate collision in what is, after all, still a contact sport.

Whispering_Death
04 December, 2018 11:43
It was right in front of us and the TMO was asked. I think itís rediculous that itís even a citing. Blame whoever threw the rubbish pass!

Villages12
Villages12 (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 13:04
It was also directly in front of me and very close to us. I was also monitoring on reflink.

The conversation between TMO, linesman and referee was very clear. The incident was unfortunate but clumsy. No intent and simply a yellow card.

So one person, the citing officer, disagrees and Chrisís fate is now unpredictable.

My own thoughts. Sharples jumped much higher than Chris expected. He was advancing at speed trying to time his arrival correctly and put his hands up to protect himself from boot in the face.

AndyMGlos
Lebowski (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 13:34
As a Glos fan my views are it was either a yellow or nothing at all depending on whether Pennell was reckless or completely taken by surprise by Charlieís jump. The ref obviously thought the former but only Chris knows! Heís not a malicious player and I suspect it was actually the latter. I think a citing is ridiculous but sadly there seem to be a lot of ridiculous disciplinary decisions these days.

If it was deemed reckless then yellow was correct because Charlie managed to break his fall with his arm. Had he been less athletic and landed on his head it would have been red, regardless of the intent or recklessness. That is the law and IMO it is so stupid that I am surprised even World Rugby could come up with it!

B-road
04 December, 2018 14:03
Why is the player who jumps in the air absolved of all responsibility.

If Sharples had kicked Pennell in the face, then surely by the letter of the law he should be sent off !

gmem
Garym (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 14:10
Quote:
KenDoddsDadsDogsDead
Why is the player who jumps in the air absolved of all responsibility.
If Sharples had kicked Pennell in the face, then surely by the letter of the law he should be sent off !

I said that at the time, needless to say the Glaws fans around me didn't agree smiling smiley

AndyMGlos
Lebowski (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 17:06
Players who jump in the air shouldnít be absolved of responsibility, especially where they put up a knee or a foot to protect themselves. However to suggest Charlie did anything wrong in this instance is, IMO, extremely silly.

gmem
Garym (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 17:13
Quote:
Lebowski
Players who jump in the air shouldnít be absolved of responsibility, especially where they put up a knee or a foot to protect themselves. However to suggest Charlie did anything wrong in this instance is, IMO, extremely silly.

It was said with more than a touch of irony at the time ....

Brummagem Bertie
04 December, 2018 19:23
Chris must be before the beak now, as Eastmond got 4 weeks.

Brummagem Bertie
04 December, 2018 19:30
Banned for two weeks, apparently.

just got into rugby
Big Bird Warrior (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 19:39
Importantly, free to play from 18th December!!

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 20:12
OK for SainjP

Malvern Man
Malvern Man (IP Logged)
04 December, 2018 21:22
Phew. Nice little rest for him.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 06:07
I've only seen it once, but I must admit that I'm leaning to the side that it was an unfortunate collision. Had it been a kick I'm sure Chris would have expected Sharples to jump, but not necessarily a pass.

I used to get tipped over regularly back in the day when I was on the wing or full back, it bl00dy hurt and I agree with the laws. However, on this occasion I think the game may be going a bit too soft. Perhaps I need to watch it over and over again, from all angles and in super slow-mo where everyone ends up looking like a serial killer.

Freypal
Freypal (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 07:00
Watching the replay, to me it's clumsy from Chris and yellow was deserved. A 2 match ban I don't agree with... at least it's the euro games he misses not premiership.

The inconsistency of these things is what grates. Considering the likes of Kerevi wasnt even carded for a late shoulder to the head of Halfpenny in the Wales v Aus game who is now still out with concussion weeks on.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 07:16
Quote:
Freypal
Watching the replay, to me it's clumsy from Chris and yellow was deserved. A 2 match ban I don't agree with... at least it's the euro games he misses not premiership.
The inconsistency of these things is what grates. Considering the likes of Kerevi wasnt even carded for a late shoulder to the head of Halfpenny in the Wales v Aus game who is now still out with concussion weeks on.
Good point there about Kerevei.Forgot about that.Shows up the lack of consistency with the refs and the interpretation of the laws.
Was thinking Chris would've got a longer ban as he's Worcester and Eastmond Wasps but there's no denying Eastmond's offence was worse.

EDIT: I meant Eastmond is Tigers,not Wasps!

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2018 11:03 by w4rriorz1980.

TVM Rides Again....Again
TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 09:31
Quote:
w4rriorz1980
Quote:
Freypal
Good point there about Kerevei.Forgot about that.Shows up the lack of consistency with the refs and the interpretation of the laws.
Was thinking Chris would've got a longer ban as he's Worcester and Eastmond Wasps but there's no denying Eastmond's offence was worse.

I think there is also an element of Worcester fans feeling 'picked on' that doesn't actually stand up to scrutiny.

Sheldon
Sheldon (IP Logged)
05 December, 2018 16:48
How about we will plead guilty if Chris can be back for the Northampton game?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net