rugbyunion
Latest News:
We are The Warriors! The Mighty Worcester Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

Warr-i-ors!
Dean Ryan set to replace EJ?
Warr-i-ors! (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 08:15
A few Tweeting this is happening...

Alex Shaw (Rugby Journalist)

“Given all the future England head coach speculation at the moment, it’s going to be really anti-climactic - media-wise - when Dean Ryan gets promoted”.

David Flatman

“So happening”.

usa warrior
Re: Dean Ryan set to replace EJ?
usa warrior (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 08:37
Did you see Marler's response? (Sm22)

Very simply... "F**k that!"

Might not be so far fetched as McCall and Baxter have both ruled themselves out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2018 08:45 by usa warrior.

Warr-i-ors!
Warr-i-ors! (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 08:45
I did, excellent.

Offa
Offa (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 08:59
Good grief!!!!!
He may eventually find players who can understand Hoggy's system. Or maybe not.
In all seriousness, I couldn't see him coping with the level of scrutiny that would come with the job.

I totally fell for his hogwash when he was with us, but retrospect shows him to be only slightly better than Hill - and that was a pretty low bar.

Some of our Celtic members may be chuckling if this pans out.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 09:24
Fair comment Offa.

Talks a good game does DR.

I've had Alfa Romeos that were more reliable.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 09:25
He never did find that pesky magic wand, did he?

Could’ve made all the difference I feel.

TVM Rides Again....Again
TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 11:01
Quote:
TeflonTed

I've had Alfa Romeos that were more reliable.

I bloody loved my Alfa. Don't you be mean to them....

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 11:34
I've only sat in one Alfa. It was in the showroom when the dealer was on Hylton Road. I seem to remember spending more time putting the inside trim back on than looking at the car. Surely not even a die hard Alfa fan would say they were well made and reliable.

Eternal optimist
Eternal optimist (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 12:03
Having owned several Alfa’s and Lancias, they were well engineered but lacked finish.
Although saying that, my old Lancia was both well engineered and very well finished, but it was a pre Fiat Lancia

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 12:07
I had two cracking Lancia's

JP

samlee99
samlee99 (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 12:18
Dean Ryan will have the full support of real rugby fans.

In Wales, in Ireland, in Scotland, in France, in Italy ....................

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 12:27
Would you rather have borthwick though?

His name is being mentioned too.

Whilst Ryan was disappointing for us Gloucester looked good under him and it does seem like he got our academy back on track.

Whispering_Death
Whispering_Death (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 12:40
I wonder why Bater isn’t interested

MESSAGES->author
Grasshopper (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 12:52
My only brush with an Alfa was when I wanted to have a trial run in a diesel version at the local dealership. I had asked for this during an initial visit and turned up for the agreed appointment a few days later. There still wasn't one available (A complete waste of my time) but they promised they would get one quickly and would give me a call when it was in. I got a call about 6 weeks later, by which time my shiny new (Different make) car had already been delivered....

Very similar to DR - Promises, promises.

TVM Rides Again....Again
06 December, 2018 13:05
Quote:
Fiver
I've only sat in one Alfa. It was in the showroom when the dealer was on Hylton Road. I seem to remember spending more time putting the inside trim back on than looking at the car. Surely not even a die hard Alfa fan would say they were well made and reliable.

Oh it was utterly dreadful smiling smiley I once woke up half the street as the fuel injectors weeped slightly, and when I started the engine the inlet manifold blew clean off the side of the engine!

But despite the fact they are objectively s*** - if you get it you love them more than life itself.

And that is where the similarity with Dean Ryan ends winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2018 13:13 by TVM Rides Again.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 14:12
My secondhand Ford Fusion is very reliable...

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 14:34
Quote:
Whispering_Death

I imagine he's happy with things at Exeter and I would think it's more secure long term than the England job.
Hopefully it's a bluff mind.

I'd like it to be Baxter next or, failing that, dean Richards.

MESSAGES->author
Abberley (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 16:18
Daily commuting to the likes of Cowley, Reading and Guildford (before the M40 extension) was an absolute joy in my 1970s Alfa GTV (flat-4 at the front, gearbox in the rear axle).

One morning I was in solid traffic on the A40 Witney bypass (everyone travelling at the [then] regulation ACPO 2+10% mph) and noticed a police Panda several cars behind. Five minutes later, he flagged me into a lay-by - and spent the next fifteen drooling over the engine etc. - even sitting behind the wheel pretending to drive it.

Eventually, he said, "Sorry, I'll have to give you a ticket to cover my time..."

(Sm16)

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 16:27
I do like this board. A serious topic, as the title suggests, but we are off down my cousin, the A40, before you know it.

Back on topic, there are times when internal appointments are appropriate; there are times when they are not. It all depends on the worth of the candidates and their previous track record.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 17:35
I completely forgot I once drove a 156 hire car. I had to work in Liverpool and halfway there the engine warning light came on and it told me to find a dealer.

AVIS told me the car had spent most of it's life at the dealer.

The only dealings with Lancia was a company car my dad had a few months, a Beta. He liked it and fortunately we moved to Germany before it had a chance to rust itself to death.

MESSAGES->author
Jim H (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 19:43
Quote:
Faithful_City
I had two cracking Lancia's

Sub frames and chassis legs?

MESSAGES->author
06 December, 2018 20:37
Beta 1800 saloon and Beta 2000 Coupe

1976 and 1977

JP

Eternal optimist
06 December, 2018 21:12
Fulvia Coupe here plus a Guila GTJ and Sud TI. Still miss the Fulvia

Warr-i-ors!
Warr-i-ors! (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 22:58
Quote:
Whispering_Death

Three letters - R F U.

Apparently he has no intention of working with or for them.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 23:23
JP, I notice the first Beta lasted a year, how long did the second survive for before you woke up to see a pile of red scales on the drive?

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 00:04
OK, I started the Alfa chat so here’s my story. Got one in 98/99 as a company car. Bright red (of course) with dark red leather interior.

Handled like a dream, until a recall on front suspension caused a visit to the Hilton Rd mob. Picked it up mid afternoon, decided to get back to Droitwich the pretty way via Hallow. Nearly ended up in the hedge on the bends near Grimley, went straight back with it.

10 minutes in the workshop and the service guy said it should be better now we’ve refitted the anti-roll bar we sort of missed.

Other than that, quite liked it, except it ate tyres, but hey Ho, not my bill! Reverted to German engineering soon after, and have not strayed since.

Southstand(again)
Southstand(again) (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 06:20
Had a Lancia Delta HF Integrale 16V (1992) once that sat on my drive for almost three years.
It used to get more visitors than me. Nice to look at, but a b***er to keep on the road.

TVM Rides Again....Again
07 December, 2018 06:54
I am in awe at the message board car pool! It's lovely smiling smiley

It has to be said that, I think one conclusion has been reached and that is that - if Baxter and McCall cannot be tempted from their respective jobs...the cupboard is pretty bare coach wise.

Eternal optimist
07 December, 2018 07:20
The question may boil down to, who actually wants the job as it seems to be a bit of a poison chalice

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 07:37
Quote:
Southstand(again)
Had a Lancia Delta HF Integrale 16V (1992) once that sat on my drive for almost three years.
It used to get more visitors than me. Nice to look at, but a b***er to keep on the road.

Absolute legend of a machine. I think you've summed up what I've always though, I'd rather drive one than own one.

As for EJ's successor, not a clue.

MESSAGES->author
07 December, 2018 07:49
The 1800 saloon was a great car but as we were just marries with no kids living in Germany decided to swap for the coupe which we should have bought in the first place

The coupe was a fantastic car once warmed up. It used to misfire slightly for the first mile or so after that it was a super car and quick.

JP

TVM Rides Again....Again
07 December, 2018 08:20
Italians always do lovely engines. The twin spark 2.0 in my GTV was lovely and peaky and sounded much better than a 4 pot should (when it wasn't trying to blow itself up).

A quick DVLA check shows it has since gone to the great Italian town square in the sky - sad

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 08:32
Quote:
TVM Rides Again
It has to be said that, I think one conclusion has been reached and that is that - if Baxter and McCall cannot be tempted from their respective jobs...the cupboard is pretty bare coach wise.

Baxter and McCall have expressed unavailability, but they would say that wouldn’t they. There’s a real chance DR will slither in there.

As to the car pool, don’t get me started on the TVR which was the play-car for 10 years, soldiered on well past it’s sell-by date (they don’t come with best before dates) and was adopted by an optimistic friend who said “that’ll be grand with a few issues sorted....frequent battery death/water ingress/trim disintegration/random electrics/tendency to point the wrong way on bends..........

As far as I’m aware it’s still in the barn of a friend of a friend just off Offerton Lane.....he’d probably take 20 quid for it if anyone’s interested.

TVM Rides Again....Again
07 December, 2018 08:41
Quote:
TeflonTed
Quote:
TVM Rides Again

Baxter and McCall have expressed unavailability, but they would say that wouldn’t they. There’s a real chance DR will slither in there.

As to the car pool, don’t get me started on the TVR which was the play-car for 10 years, soldiered on well past it’s sell-by date (they don’t come with best before dates) and was adopted by an optimistic friend who said “that’ll be grand with a few issues sorted....frequent battery death/water ingress/trim disintegration/random electrics/tendency to point the wrong way on bends..........

As far as I’m aware it’s still in the barn of a friend of a friend just off Offerton Lane.....he’d probably take 20 quid for it if anyone’s interested.

Never turn down the prospect of an interesting hill climb project......what model?

MESSAGES->author
07 December, 2018 08:49
Here's one similar to mine up for sale in Germany. Mine was RHD with a velvet interia

Lancia Beta 200 Coupe 1978

JP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2018 08:51 by Faithful_City.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 08:50
I've never dared purchasing anything from the Italian marques, I did once own a Porsche 944 which had a fuel consumption almost matched by it's oil consumption. The plus side was that it didn't actually break down and no trim fell off.

Since then I've only ventured into the older car market once, having run a 10 year old Saab which ended up costing me around £2000 in repairs over seven months of use. Luckily the 25k I added over that time paid for the repairs in mileage claims.

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 08:57
Now the Morris Minor. It's in the news today - because a survey has found that Morris Minor drivers are, proportionately among the worst drivers when it comes to drink and drug convictions last year.

The key word is of course "proportionately" because there can't be many MM drivers about and percentages can prove or try to prove anything.

Now in 1965 there were quite a few of us (sober) on the roads. EGF 849C went well until overtaken by the Mini and sold on. Oh, the nostalgia for the first car - whatever it was.

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 09:48
Apart from the cars, we’re talking year from now. How many people agree a job 1 year in advance?, especially those who have top jobs already

MESSAGES->author
Abberley (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 10:03
Quote:
A38
Oh, the nostalgia for the first car - whatever it was.

1935 Morris 8 Series I (chrome radiator).

Benefiting from modern wonders such as hydraulic brakes, electric windscreen wipers, and a 'digital' speedometer.

Saw me through final year of Sixth Form (used to give my Maths teacher a lift to school, and had to wear my cap in the car) and first two years at Uni.

Sadly abandoned outside our digs in Sheffield (21b Bates Street - might be worth checking if it's still there?) when a friend working at Longbridge offered us a brand new Mini Van (staff discount, no Purchase Tax) for £360. (Sm18)

(However, have to admit that the Mini Van served as a much more practical passion wagon - and that may have influenced the decision).

Eternal optimist
07 December, 2018 10:07
[c1.staticflickr.com]

My old Fulvia.

Succession planning shouldn’t be rushed hence yes it can take a year in advance. But like I’ve said before who will actually want the job maybe the main issue

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 10:58
How many employers would be happy for you to give notice one year in advance? It doesn’t work that way

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 11:03
I do like looking at a Fulvia, which is pretty much what I believe all their owners get to do.

Regarding DR, if he left his current role would it be halfway through his expected tenure?

TVM Rides Again....Again
07 December, 2018 11:06
Quote:
Eternal optimist
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2912/14541324051_dda1dfebc0_n.jpg
My old Fulvia.

Succession planning shouldn’t be rushed hence yes it can take a year in advance. But like I’ve said before who will actually want the job maybe the main issue

That's blydi lovely, that. Very narrow angle V4's - a 1.3 I seem to recall?

Mine was identical to this one

[bay2car.com]

All very valid points about the 12 month notice.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 15:02
Quote:
TVM Rides Again
Quote:
TeflonTed
Quote:
TVM Rides Again

Never turn down the prospect of an interesting hill climb project......what model?

S2 theFord V6 Cologne lump with a re-engineered head and manifolds. Dark cherry red.

Abmatt
Abmatt (IP Logged)
08 December, 2018 16:46
Quote:
centrethere
How many employers would be happy for you to give notice one year in advance? It doesn’t work that way

The MoD are.

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
08 December, 2018 16:55
Speaking about Dean Ryan, I happened to come across on Youtube the recordings of the 2011 Championship Play Offs: Worcester vs Cornish Pirates.

Dean Ryan was commentating. He made the point several times about the strength of the Worcester pack dominating the game and not letting the very quick CP backs into the game that much. I paraphrase.

That's quite ironic on several levels but the basic point of the need to have a strong dominant pack will not I'm sure be lost on AS and his coaches as they go about the recruitment process.

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
10 December, 2018 16:29
Quote:
centrethere

Warren Gatland gave a couple of years notice to the WRU and Wayne Pivac told Scarlets in the summer that he would be leaving at the end of this season.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

MESSAGES->author
knightstemplar (IP Logged)
10 December, 2018 20:38
Alfasud Ti was my dogs danglies

Eternal optimist
10 December, 2018 20:43
Quote:
knightstemplar
Alfasud Ti was my dogs danglies
Loved mine as well, handled like a dream just didn’t like deep puddles as the plugs would get wet and you’d have to wait 5mins whilst it dried out and off you’d go again.

Eco Warrior
Eco Warrior (IP Logged)
11 December, 2018 08:25
I had an Alfa Sud Ti as well. Went round corners like it was on rails. Boxer 4 engine, in-board discs, 1100 cc engine (I think) N reg, Ahh those were the days/

Boot filled with water when it rained - talking of which I left it out in the rain once and the front wings turned to ferrous oxide. Don't think it rained much in Italy.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
11 December, 2018 10:27
That was the cunning plan by TVR.

Equally likely to take on board as much water as a kayak on a white water run, but constructed of grp so no rot.

Pull out the carpets, leave in garage to dry out, put a towel on wet seat, roof off and off you go.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net