rugbyunion
Latest News:
We are The Warriors! The Mighty Worcester Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

MESSAGES->author
Team news - Pau
Powick Eastander (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 11:27
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DtuypyEXQAEbfsZ.jpg:large

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg Warriors Rugby Supporters Club http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2018 08:55 by Powick Eastander.

WorcesterSauce
Re: Team new - Pau
WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 11:32
I think we are actually trying to throw the game/qualificstion.

Oh well, who wants to win trophies anyway!

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 11:35
I think that my prediction in the round was pretty good.

MSR-Worcester
MSR-Worcester (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 11:36
Like it. Good smattering of youth with experience. 2/3 of the those players did a job on Stade back in October. Hopefully we can repeat the same. However I expect the weather and a big french pack might make a difference.

Interesting that Baldwin is firmly out of the picture.

Also presumably Taufete'e, Mama, Kirwan all still out.

Freypal
Freypal (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 11:41
Good to see a few returning from injury. Makes sense to give them what should be a highly competitive run out.

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 11:44
It is not beefed up enough with 4-5 1st xvs. It will be some mighty performance to get away with this one including the spilt milk of teío

Ake1985
Ake1985 (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 11:47
Can Cutting or Miller play in any other positions? We have 4 guys in the squad who can play hooker

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 11:48
Not a bad team in the circs.

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 11:50
Quote:
Ake1985
Can Cutting or Miller play in any other positions? We have 4 guys in the squad who can play hooker

Cutting can play at 8.

WorcesterSauce
06 December, 2018 11:55
Quote:
Patgadd
Not a bad team in the circs.

Really? Other than in the back row our injury problems are not that bad. The bench is horrifically weak.

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 11:59
I like it, plenty of players with points to prove, plus hopefully our future first choice 10, 12, 13 if butler comes on for Oliver.

Great to see Kitchener playing after that injury scare.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 12:00
Well this lot did pretty damn good against Stade Francais, we are far from throwing the game!

15	Perry Humphreys				
14	Dean Hammond				
13	Ollie Lawrence				
12	Ashley Beck				
11	Tom Howe			
10	Jono Lance
9	Michael Heaney				
1	Ethan Waller				
2	Niall Annett				
3	Simon Kerrod				
4	Andrew Kitchener				
5	Pierce Phillips				
6	Ted Hill			
7	Matti Williams				
8	Matt Cox

Replacements
16	Joe Taufete'e				
17	Kai Owen				
18	Gareth Milasinovich				
19	Justin Clegg				
20	Tom Dodd				
21	Luke Baldwin				
22	Jamie Shillcock			
23	Wynand Olivier

Ake1985
Ake1985 (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 12:01
Quote:
AJWarriors
Quote:
Ake1985

Cutting can play at 8.

Really?? Not that I've seen a huge amount of him but he seems to small/lightweight to be an 8.

What's happened to Dodd, thought he was quite highly thought of.

Good to see miller and butler fit and getting some game time

WorcesterSauce
06 December, 2018 12:05
Quote:
Faithful_City
Well this lot did pretty damn good against Stade Francais, we are far from throwing the game!
15	Perry Humphreys				
14	Dean Hammond				
13	Ollie Lawrence				
12	Ashley Beck				
11	Tom Howe			
10	Jono Lance
9	Michael Heaney				
1	Ethan Waller				
2	Niall Annett				
3	Simon Kerrod				
4	Andrew Kitchener				
5	Pierce Phillips				
6	Ted Hill			
7	Matti Williams				
8	Matt Cox

Replacements
16	Joe Taufete'e				
17	Kai Owen				
18	Gareth Milasinovich				
19	Justin Clegg				
20	Tom Dodd				
21	Luke Baldwin				
22	Jamie Shillcock			
23	Wynand Olivier

The teams are similar (although for Stade we had a much better 10 and 6) but crucially the bench was much more powerful for Stade. I dont know anything about the Pau team but to play a weakened team in the first game is an unneccessry risk in many ways, IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2018 12:06 by WorcesterSauce.

Frammers
Mantis Mirth (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 12:12
Anybody travelling over to watch the match?

lawnsman
lawnsman (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 12:23
7 of Pau's team started against Lyon last week and 15 out of their 23 man squad this week were in the squad last week. So they are hedging their bets as well?

Whispering_Death
Whispering_Death (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 12:38
Why does it suddenly matter if we progress in this comp. We are two points off bottom in the prem so surely the prem has to be priority. Seems a very sensible selection to me.

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 12:49
Answer: we put much more stress /pressure on ourselves at home the week before Saints if we lose; as opposed to confidence / feel good / momentum if we have won.

Warrior Al
Warrior Al (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 12:50
FC, that's my point exactly we are in the position where we are in this comp thanks to a similar sort of team. Bearing in mind Pennel is banned, Teo swanned off, Lance, Beck, Du Prez, Mama, Joe T, Bower are all injured. Nick, Jack, Houggi, weir, Joshy and Bryce are rightly being protected. What/ who else do we have better? Ok Mills and Vents could play but I rightly think Lawerence and Olivier deserve a chance in midfield. Don't forget if we progress in this comp but lose key players through the process relegation isn't too far away.

WorcesterSauce
06 December, 2018 12:56
Exactly centrethere.

There are a few point as to why we should want to qualify.

1- We have got ourselves into a great position where 2 wins vs Pau will almost see us home. Why jeopodise this? We never do well in anything, we may as well give it a pop.
2- Pau will be much, much stronger at home than away. IMO we should be looking to ensure we win at their place first and foremost, knocking them out in the process, and then putting the seconds out at home (remember french sides are awful away, particularly an already knocked out one) and winning anyway.
3- as centrethere says, a stronger team this week would then allow us a 2 week break going into Saints. If we play the first team vs Pau, we are only giving the players 5 days break before Northampton. Haven't our very own players argued that this isn't enough in the past?
4- If we lose this week Pau are right back in it, and may fancy it against us at home. Nevertheless, if we lose this week i'd argue we are out as we have to travel to Ospreys, so may as well play the seconds vs Pau anyway.

We may win but it's a stupid and needless risk that not only jeopodises our once chance in, what 10 years(??) of european qualification, but also could jeopodise our very important game with Northampton if we pick up any injories/knocks in the Sixways game as there is no way players will come back from any sort of knock in 5 days. I'm not doubting we should be resting players but we have got the wrong week.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2018 12:57 by WorcesterSauce.

TVM Rides Again....Again
TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 13:03
Quote:
WorcesterSauce
Exactly centrethere.

We may win but it's a stupid and needless risk.

Hedging your complaining bets there WS smiling smiley

I think you'll find that if they win it was a perfectly judged risk.

WorcesterSauce
06 December, 2018 13:05
Possibly TVM - it'll certainly help, but actually i think you'll find that, regardless of the Pau result, if more first team key players then get crocked in the Sixways leg and end up missing Northampton it will have not paid off at all. It's just a silly and needless risk.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2018 13:14 by WorcesterSauce.

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 13:06
So had the grumble. Wish Wynand can lead the boys to victory. Speed and intensity will win this game, not getting stuck in the mire.

MESSAGES->author
Powick Eastander (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 13:16
We may be 2 points off 12th but we are also 2 points off 6th..

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg Warriors Rugby Supporters Club http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 14:27
We have to build squad depth if we're to improve and if this side cannot win then our squad is not good enough to compete in Europe and the premiership at the same time.

Rotation and competition for places will help us as the season goes on, if the players were as beat up after Gloucester as AS said then playing them against Pau could have been a far greater risk of losing.

Sir Mills
Sir Mills (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 14:48
5 of us are heading to Pau tomorrow morning, should be a good evening!! Got white water rafting the morning after which should help the sore heads

Frammers
Mantis Mirth (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 14:54
5 of us are going tomorrow morning too - see you there Sir Mills!

kiddykid
kiddykid (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 15:42
I don't have the table to hand, but I think we could lose tomorrow, pick a stronger team (not the strongest) for the return game and still head the table for the ko stages - or have I got it wrong?
This cunning plan depnds - of course - on winning the return match.

kiddykid
kiddykid (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 15:43
I don't have the table to hand, but I think we could lose tomorrow, pick a stronger team (not the strongest) for the return game and still head the table for the ko stages - or have I got it wrong?

kiddykid
kiddykid (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 15:44

Warrior7
Warrior7 (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 15:58
A satisfying triple post if I ever saw one - one for each minute.

On topic, who is to say we won't win? Pau have a fairly hefty team up but so did Stade and Pau are worse. Granted they've got a few decent players but the only one I'd take is Slade and maybe some forwards. As players normally get slower when they go to France, we should be kicking it in behind Halai as he was slow at Wasps to start with.

Pau:
15 Charly Malie
14 Frank Halai
13 Benson Stanley,
12 Florian Nicot,
11 Watisoni Votu,
10 Colin Slade,
9 Thibault Daubagna (c),
8 Antoine Erbani,
7 Martin Puech,
6 Baptiste Pesenti,
5 Daniel Ramsay,
4 Fabrice Metz,
3 Malik Hamadache,
2 Lucas Rey,
1 Jamie Mackintosh

Replacements: 16 Laurent Bouchet, 17 Ignacio Calles, 18 Nicolas Corato, 19 Julien Delannoy, 20 Giovanni Habel Kuffner, 21 Matthieu Ugena, 22 Julien Blanc, 23 Antoine Hastoy

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 17:00
I heard a great interview with a player, whose name I've forgotten, who talked about playing in France. They have a culture of winning home games and seeing away games as something you have to go and play. Also, the cup games aren't a priority and if they've started poorly then they're not very interested.

We might find Pau going through the motions a little, I'm sure the league is their priority.

just got into rugby
Big Bird Warrior (IP Logged)
06 December, 2018 20:19
And if we go there and win, what does that do to team confidence and morale?!

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 11:05
Hope Howe gets a decent run after a stellar game vs Stade and that James Scott has a big game

MESSAGES->author
Re: Team news - Pau
C.M.O.T. Dibbler (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 11:44
Does anyone know if the match is on tv anywhere

Light thinks it travels faster than anything, but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds that darkness has got there first, and is waiting for it! - Terry Pratchett.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 12:44
Not to my knowledge although very happy to hear if anyone finds a stream.

WorcesterSauce
07 December, 2018 12:49
Doubt theyíll be a stream as i dont recall there being one for the Stade away game

silver warrior
silver warrior (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 13:03
There was definitely a live stream for the Stade game.

WorcesterSauce
07 December, 2018 13:09
Oh actually yeh youíre right, was a French broadcast and i couldnt get it to work cause of my IP address. The normal betting sites certainly didnít have one

WorcesterSauce
07 December, 2018 13:12
Just had a look and we are heavy, heavy outsiders to win this at 4/1.... donít they say the bookies are never wrong?

WarwickEastie
WarwickEastie (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 13:21
I think the selection is spot on. We need to gear everything to winning against Saints on 21st. Our first teamers need to recuperate.
As others have said, a similar team came away with an unlikely away win at Stade. If we lose, no big deal as we knew it was a tough challenge with 2nd string players.

The flip side is it gives development opportunities for the youngsters and for the likes of Cox and Lawrence to stake a claim in the 1st team. I think it's been really successful in doing that with Hill benefiting....

TVM Rides Again....Again
07 December, 2018 13:47
Quote:
WorcesterSauce
Just had a look and we are heavy, heavy outsiders to win this at 4/1.... donít they say the bookies are never wrong?

Even by your standards you are being apocalypticly defeatist today!

They say the house always wins....which is very different. It refers to long term patterns not one off wagers.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 13:53
Quote:
WorcesterSauce
Oh actually yeh youíre right, was a French broadcast and i couldnt get it to work cause of my IP address. The normal betting sites certainly didnít have one
Yes,someone kindly put the address up for the Stade game.Can't remember,will look back.

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

WorcesterSauce
07 December, 2018 14:44
Quote:
TVM Rides Again
Quote:
WorcesterSauce

Even by your standards you are being apocalypticly defeatist today!

They say the house always wins....which is very different. It refers to long term patterns not one off wagers.

Haha just putting the bookies odds which i actually think are very very generous and for any gamblers out there is probably worth a flutter. There must be a reason why the odds are so high mind.

TVM Rides Again....Again
07 December, 2018 15:10
I think odds are generally a function of not only the bookies perception of liklihood, but to a certain extent will reflect the flow of money too.

The best example I have used for this is that - say when you had Hamilton and Rosberg both racing a dominant Mercedes. ONE of them will win the championship, but which? Well in the UK the money would probably (mostly) go to Hamilton. So given the similar possibility, the bookies might lengthen the odds on Rosberg slightly, to pull a bit of money that way as all of a sudden it will look a good deal - this covers their exposure on Hamilton, or at least mitigates it a bit.

You may well have seen the opposite situation in Germany/Finland (delete as preferred).

So - it may be that French team at home, Worcester's poor record on the road (Stade win or not) will mean that they will have Pau edging it understandably. However, they may be feeling over-exposed on Pau depending on betting patterns, and wish to spread the money to Worcester by providing fairly long but not outrageous odds.

Freypal
Freypal (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 19:21
7-6 to Pau at HT. From the Twitter feed seems worcester have been on the defensive again against the larger Pau pack.

MESSAGES->author
07 December, 2018 19:29
14:6 now

Not looking good

Freypal
Freypal (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 19:31
Seems there have been more lineout woes too...

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 20:08
The game not on French tv,no commentary on H&W either.Twitter it is.
Not even on the BBC Sport Rugby site.Only challenge cup game stated is Agen v Grenoble.

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

MESSAGES->author
07 December, 2018 20:17
Lost 21:6

Handling and line out word, remind you of anything?

JP

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
07 December, 2018 20:24
We will win next week.

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

MESSAGES->author
07 December, 2018 20:57
Agreed

JP

WorcesterSauce
07 December, 2018 22:15
It doesnt matter as we now almost certainly have to beat ospreys away. What a silly way to throw away qualificstion

Ronster
Drahm for England (IP Logged)
08 December, 2018 12:18
Really? I'd have thought two home games against Stade & Pau will see us through!

rossi
Mr_Worcester (IP Logged)
08 December, 2018 13:21
Quote:
WorcesterSauce
It doesnt matter as we now almost certainly have to beat ospreys away. What a silly way to throw away qualificstion

Incorrect

WorcesterSauce
08 December, 2018 13:59
Quote:
Mr_Worcester
Quote:
WorcesterSauce

Incorrect

Ospreys win today (likely) they will leapfrog us, they then go to a Stade team knocked out next week, if they win that then beat us they will probably be home and dry.

MESSAGES->author
08 December, 2018 14:05
They have 2 away 1 home

We have 2 home 1 away

JP

WorcesterSauce
08 December, 2018 14:35
Yep, hence why i said we would need to gonand beat them at their place. Remember their 2 away games wil be against 2 teams knockes out. Ours against a team who need to win to (probably) secure a QF spot.... big difference

Whispering_Death
08 December, 2018 14:38
We donít need to win the group to qualify. We are still very much in it, and could easily still win the group.

Latecomer
Latecomer (IP Logged)
08 December, 2018 14:45
Quote:
WorcesterSauce
Yep, hence why i said we would need to gonand beat them at their place. Remember their 2 away games wil be against 2 teams knockes out. Ours against a team who need to win to (probably) secure a QF spot.... big difference

Touchť Saucie, touchť !
(Sm100)

WorcesterSauce
08 December, 2018 16:27
So Ospreys beat stade with a BP and virtually knock Stade out in the process. If (as expected) we beat Pau at Sixways next week it wonít matter what Ospreys donaway at Stade, theyíll know that beating us at home will be enough to put them back on top before the last game against Pau.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
08 December, 2018 17:05
Iíve been following this debate with interest for the last 2 pages.

Iíve decided itís time to remind myself that in the wider scheme of things I donít really care too much what happens in the ECC.

We get to 6th in the prem for a couple of weeks and get all starry eyed about senior European qualification for next season, and progressing in the Challenge Cup this season.

Well, as the bottom half of the prem table takes on an all too familiar look, all we really need to worry about is a real escape from the bottom third. And we donít look secure in that for me.

Premiership first, second, and last. And if by some major miracle we did achieve senior European qualification next season weíd really find out what lack of squad depth can do.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
08 December, 2018 17:16
Is it 2 to qualify from each group or top teams and best runner up?

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
08 December, 2018 17:26
I'm very much with TT here. We simply do not have enough squad depth this season to worry over much about Europe. It's not about ambition, it's about prioritising. If it happens, it happens but hopefully not at the cost of more injuries to key players.

We have already lost Lance and Du Preez. We can't really afford to lose too many more of their standard for an extended period.

Whispering_Death
08 December, 2018 17:43
I think itís the five pool winners plus three best runners up.

WorcesterSauce
08 December, 2018 18:43
The thing is i dont actually disagree with resting the players for one of these two european weeks, i just think that the wrong week has been picked if we want to qualify which of course we perhaps donít want and also for protecting players for Northampton. Youíre quite right TT - the premiership takes precedent above everything. So if our squad is as knackered and so thread-bare as Solomans says it is, surely it would have made more sense to have rested the guys the week before Northampton, rather than risk them in whatís transpired to be a relatively nothing game for us as minor knocks could keep players out for Northampton. Worth remembering they will also only have a 5 day full rest period, which if you ask any top player is far from ideal

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
08 December, 2018 19:13
Can we assume the same Warriors team is going to play at home and would they be expected to win?

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
09 December, 2018 08:30
Quote:
centrethere
Can we assume the same Warriors team is going to play at home and would they be expected to win?

I'm hoping some forwards like mama and the NZ lock whose name I can't currently remember, will be brought in to get them up to match speed for saints, which would help as it seems like the forwards were second best.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
09 December, 2018 10:28
Simple choice in principle for Solly isnít it.

The Saints game is quite obviously the priority.

Field first choice players for Pau to get them match hardened, and/or to win the game, and risk injuries, or protect them from possible harm and have them fresh for Saints, and risk a touch of staleness.

I know what Iíd do, but Iím not Solly.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
09 December, 2018 10:41
Quote:
TeflonTed

Field first choice players for Pau to get them match hardened, and/or to win the game, and risk injuries, or protect them from possible harm and have them fresh for Saints, and risk a touch of staleness.

What would you do Ted?

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
09 December, 2018 12:50
Quote:
w4rriorz1980
Quote:
TeflonTed

What would you do Ted?

I'd save the big guns for Saints.

Tell you what, bet he steers a halfway course and fields a mixed squad.

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
09 December, 2018 12:54
In AS's defense, excluding Bath and Tigers, our home games where there are '10-pointers' are Saints and Sharks. So this Saints game coming up is very important. He is keeping his powder as dry as possible, and I think he will continue to do so now for the home leg vs Pau.

MESSAGES->author
09 December, 2018 13:12
I think many of the team to play Saints will play this weekend, they need to be match alert ready for Saints

AND

Should give us a 5 pointer for Europe

JP

Whispering_Death
09 December, 2018 14:45
Yup I think it will be close to our saints fifteen, less those with niggles he feels need another week. We canít go in cold to that game, theyíve had a rest.

Ronster
Drahm for England (IP Logged)
09 December, 2018 16:47
Still expect us to take 10 points from the remaining two home ECC matches, giving us 19 points before travelling to Ospreys. We're currently the best 2nd placed team, can't see that changing after two home games. I think we'll qualify but not as group winner.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
09 December, 2018 19:46
I'd probably look at playing 1st XV players where we have depth, 2nd XV where we don't.

Sutton Warrior
Sutton Warrior (IP Logged)
10 December, 2018 13:36
They gave it good go and we lost. This competition is as Ted said - not vital to us at all. DOes our second tier winning mean anything to the players who were not there? All about the Prem all day every day

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net