rugbyunion
Latest News:
We are The Warriors! The Mighty Worcester Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

Hallowed Warrior
A wonderful chance wasted
Hallowed Warrior (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 00:06
Tonight was so disappointing.

We had the chance to earn a home cup final at Sixways

We had a chance at Silverware against Saints or Newcastle at Sixways - who I would have backed us to beat

We played a disjointed and second string team to concentrate on the premiership dogfight

If we wanted to save our Ďbig gunsí why risk Weir for 20 minutes at the end?

Surely the mindset of every professional sportsman is to win one of the competitions they are competing in - why did we not just go for it?

Come on Solly this was a marvellous chance wasted.

AJWarriors
Re: A wonderful chance wasted
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 00:15
I have to disagree. Considering how many injuries we picked up tonight itís a good job we didnít pick our first team players. Donít forget we are in a relegation dog fight and only 4 points off the bottom. If Solly picked a full strength team and we had those knocks to the likes of Black,Chris Pennell or Heem Iím not so sure youíd be saying the same to be fair...I know I wouldnít!

The Challenge Cup and Premiership safety are the number one priorities in my eyes and the Premiership Cup was/is meant to be a development competition. I think we learnt an awful lot tonight without any great cost and the coaches will now know whoís good enough to keep on at the club and who isnít.

The guys that took to the pitch should have been well up for the fight because in their mind it was ďtheir semi finalĒ and they didnít take it. In terms of ability tonight showed me in particular the depth of our group isnít great at all,especially up front in particular. A lot of work needs to be done their and Solly has the opportunity to use this window to recruit solidly now.

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 00:17
[quote AJWarriors]I have to disagree. Considering how many injuries we picked up tonight itís a good job we didnít pick our first team players. Donít forget we are in a relegation dog fight and only 4 points off the bottom. If Solly picked a full strength team and we had those knocks to the likes of Black,Chris Pennell or Heem Iím not so sure youíd be saying the same to be fair...I know I wouldnít!

The Challenge Cup and Premiership safety are the number one priorities in my eyes and the Premiership Cup was/is meant to be a development competition. I think we learnt an awful lot tonight without any great cost and the coaches will now know whoís good enough to keep on at the club and who isnít.

The guys that took to the pitch should have been well up for the fight because in their mind it was ďtheir semi finalĒ and they didnít take it. In terms of ability tonight showed me in particular the depth of our group isnít great at all,especially up front in particular. A lot of work needs to be done their and Solly has the opportunity to use this window to recruit solidly now.

Also we had to use Weir because Nick David went off injured so we had no other choice

just got into rugby
Big Bird Warrior (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 01:28
I'm with you AJ.

HW, have you considered the beating those guys took just 5 days ago?

I bet some struggled to get out of bed until Wednesday!!

Old Col
Old Col (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 09:18
I totally disagree with the unneccessary neagative comments. We fielded the team we had to field. There were many positives . We scored 3 tries against one of the best organised defences I have ever seen at Sixways .The lineout was excellent . We never gave up right to the last moment -no lack of fitness or endeavour by anybody . A really gutsy dispay when outweighed against a highly experienced pack . I thought our back row 3 playing as a unit together for the first time -one short of game time and another playing the his first full time after such a bad run of injury ,played very well . Nick David (so sorry he was hurt when one of us fell on top of him as he scored that excellent try)and Butler looked the real deal and Alex Hearle gave some hints on his brief appearance that he is too. Really bad luck for Annett . Hope it settles quickly and he regains his old form.Sure Sarries were better on the day-but not that much better.We will have learned a lot about their always predictable methods . I reckon there is a game plan to better their kick and chase that will be worked out . and they did give an excellent demonstration as to how to defend the driving lineout that we can learn from . Dissapointd we lost-of course-dissapointed with the team . absolutely not . And damn those negative prematch comments -so unfair to the players .Well done Tom Howe with that little jewel of a try .

Worcester Way
Worcester Way (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 09:34
Yes it was disappointing. Yes aspects of our play werenít great. But, on reflection, this is no disaster. A few players put their hands up last night. I thought Matti Williams was dynamic and Tom Howe looks like heís capable of making the step up to the first team in my opinion.

We go again at Quins. Come on you warriors!

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 09:48
Was Bresler on from the start? What happened to Phillips?

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 10:16
Quote:
centrethere
Was Bresler on from the start? What happened to Phillips?

Yes. Phillips was injured before the game: Faithful City commented on it on the "Team's Up" thread.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2019 10:18 by Brummagem Bertie.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 10:25
Old Col and Worcester Way have summed it up beautifully - nothing to add.

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 10:29
Quote:
Patgadd
Old Col and Worcester Way have summed it up beautifully - nothing to add.

Quite. Although sitting in an unaccustomed seat I found that my very similar views (which I kept to myself out of cowardice!) were not shared by my new neighbours.

Norfolk Warrior
Norfolk Warrior (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 10:45
I thought their defence was fantastic.Key to their win IMHO. Beyond reproach. Their defence coach deserves a medal

Teme Dream
Teme Dream (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 10:51
Positives:

Howe looks the real deal and will be able to step up to regular first team when Josh goes.
Nick David was excellent all night especially under the high ball.
Simon Kerrod appears to be rapidly improving.
There was no lack of effort and it was good to get the final try and give the scoreboard some respectability.
It will have helped Solly decide who deserves a new contract (9)
I am less concerned that Milasinovic is off to Ulster.

Abmatt
Abmatt (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 11:38
Sarries defence was lightening quick and they beat us in the pack. Quite a few players acquitted themselves well. The pace picked up when Heaney came on, perhaps he should have come on when weir did, the game might have swung our way then.

However the stats tell a different story where we had them soundly beaten.

Yes we lost but I think we have bigger and better things to concentrate on. Next up Quins!

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 11:42
I really think we need to keep Kirwan as long as he can stay fit. Not a great night for the forwards, either too lazy or desperately in need of a border collie.

just got into rugby
Big Bird Warrior (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 12:24
When does "up quick" become "offside"?

Asking for 23 friends. . . .

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 13:11
Quote:
Big Bird Warrior
When does "up quick" become "offside"?
Asking for 23 friends. . . .

In our eyes perhaps but not referees'. To be fair, our side on view is not what the referees see and it must be nigh on impossible to judge in a fast moving game. Short of putting minutely accurate GPS on each player and the ball I can't see that it can be helped - although the assistants maybe could help more.

Mind you the same thoughts apply to throw ins. When is straight not straight?

Ronster
Drahm for England (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 14:10
It was interesting that Sarries seemed to be offside at every ruck in the first half but after half time, the ref started to pick up on it almost immediately - perhaps one of the TJs or the fourth official had a word at half time?

I also felt that there seemed to be a pull back on our defender for the first try, would have liked the TMO to have a look.

MESSAGES->author
Abberley (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 14:12
Quote:
A38
...Although sitting in an unaccustomed seat I found that my very similar views (which I kept to myself out of cowardice!) were not shared by my new neighbours.

A similar experience to the extent that Mrs A was obliged to remove herself to the bar before the final whistle to avoid saying something she might have regretted.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 15:19
I'd like to see a slow motion replay of the grounding of their first try. As he slid in he bounced but I couldn't tell if the ball grounded with him still in play. I'm pretty sure it would have been mighty close.

Latecomer
Latecomer (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 16:19
Quote:
Drahm for England
I also felt that there seemed to be a pull back on our defender for the first try, would have liked the TMO to have a look.

A definite pull back from where I was sitting !!

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
09 February, 2019 21:20
Not a wonderful chance wasted , a wonderful chance lost - IMHO there is a world of difference.
Give Sarries their due they are well drilled, well motivated and clinical. It didn't happen all at once for them and it won't for us.

MESSAGES->author
West Brom Warrior (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 12:43
Premiership survival must take priority at this club, I wouldn't view the season as a success if we won 2 trophies but got relegated. If that means making sure our team is fully prepared for the premiership games and the rest of the squad being played in the cups (even semi finals or finals) then so be it.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 15:56
Quote:
West Brom Warrior
Premiership survival must take priority at this club, I wouldn't view the season as a success if we won 2 trophies but got relegated. If that means making sure our team is fully prepared for the premiership games and the rest of the squad being played in the cups (even semi finals or finals) then so be it.

What he said.

Simba
Simba (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 18:24
So clinging on desperately to 11th place is a success then?

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 18:52
Quote:
Simba

That's not what WBW said. But not staying in the Prem would definitely be a failure, whatever else the club achieved.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 19:00
Quote:
Simba

He didnít say that.

And in the event, 11th is better than relegation, which would be a disaster.

MESSAGES->author
West Brom Warrior (IP Logged)
11 February, 2019 21:12
Quote:
Simba

No it wouldnít but relegation would set us another season back and we will enter the cycle of rebuilding hoping next time it works out better. Our top players would leave and players like Wier would be tempted elesewhere and young players like Lawrence and Hill, both of whom will have good international careers if they stay on there current development path, will be off elsewhere.

Relegation cripples clubs like Worcester on and off the pitch

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net