rugbyunion
Latest News:
We are The Warriors! The Mighty Worcester Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

centrethere
The win
centrethere (IP Logged)
24 February, 2019 15:36
Thought we played better than England yesterday

Up the Wuss

Abmatt
Re: The win
Abmatt (IP Logged)
24 February, 2019 15:46
At least we won

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
24 February, 2019 15:48
Poor game.

Ronster
Drahm for England (IP Logged)
24 February, 2019 16:03
Tigers fans blaming Maxwell-Keys for the whole thing. Perhaps if they'd come to try & win the game rather than trying to avoid losing it, they might have done better.

FWIW, I didn't think it was a forward pass for their first 'try', it was a blatant block for the 'second' and it was pretty obvious from the reaction of both sides that Hougaard had grounded the ball.

Poor performance from us, contrived to lose the game. Only Mama, Bresler & Singleton emerged with much credit for me but the sign of a reasonable side is winning ugly so I'll take that!

warrioroli
WarriorOllie (IP Logged)
24 February, 2019 16:40
You can include Tom Howe in that list D4E. He made yards pretty much every time he touched the ball and obviously took his try very well. He also stayed out long after the rest of the players went in to sign autographs and chat to the kids. Just shows what first team rugby means to him.

I just wonder whether losing Weir to Scotland in the early part of the week blunted our attack a little?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/02/2019 16:41 by WarriorOllie.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
24 February, 2019 17:17
Watched it on TV and it was definitely forward. Not by a lot, but it was.

CP had a very good game as well. One poor offload, but otherwise rock solid.

Wasn't pretty, but a win. Move on to next week!

MESSAGES->author
IanRed (IP Logged)
24 February, 2019 17:19
and the floodlights worked well, even if we did lose half of the TV

sat fan
sat fan (IP Logged)
24 February, 2019 17:27
I think these comments are a bit too negative. Yes, it was a bit disjointed at times, but Leicester came here to disrupt, block, take people off the ball, bully and moan at the officials rather than play. Given that, it was never going to be a fluid game. I thought we did OK - and kept on going to the end again.

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
24 February, 2019 17:29
Guys we havenít lost to tigers for a while now. We won!

Ronster
Drahm for England (IP Logged)
24 February, 2019 17:32
Howe, Pennell and others did ok and Howe certainly took his try well but he was a guilty as many others of simply looking for contact rather than trying to find space. The space was there in behind the defensive line, we just didn't kick accurately enough or have effective enough ball carriers (Mama being the exception) to break the line. I would agree that it looked like we had focused much more on defence in training this week, hardly surprising after last week!

recrat
recrat (IP Logged)
24 February, 2019 17:36
A win is a win is a win. Great.

Offa
Offa (IP Logged)
24 February, 2019 18:15
The whole team played to the end. It was a team effort to get that win. I will take any win and think the team deserve credit. That was a big and grizzled Leicester pack. They had to play narrow and stick it up the jumper (Mike W played at 7).

Good win.
The last minute will have been a hammer blow to those watching in the North East.

Very important win. Well done to the team and coaches.

We will improve. On to Falcons.

everycloud
everycloud (IP Logged)
24 February, 2019 21:57
Ted Hill made 16 carries, (4 more than any other forward) and made 39 metres, more than any forward. I think according to the Prem website. Anton Bresler had a solid game too. That was a massive pack they were up against who came to bully them. They stood up to them well. I think we are doing some players a dis-service!! I was at the match and the atmosphere was great. Good win fellas!!

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 09:30
Quote:
everycloud
Ted Hill made 16 carries, (4 more than any other forward) and made 39 metres, more than any forward. I think according to the Prem website. Anton Bresler had a solid game too. That was a massive pack they were up against who came to bully them. They stood up to them well. I think we are doing some players a dis-service!! I was at the match and the atmosphere was great. Good win fellas!!

I think thatís a very good summary.

I was at the ground, and it was much more enjoyable than watching the TV coverage would suggest. I do know, because I came straight home and watched the recording.

I do respect Oz Healeyís opinion generally, and his sense of humour, but he didnít want to be there, is ex-Leicester, and it showed. Not his most professional day at the office.

MESSAGES->author
West Brom Warrior (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 09:31
At the end of the day and at this stage of the season it is all about getting wins. We played badly and won, its a good sign and much better than playing well and losing.

everycloud
everycloud (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 09:47
Are you not entertained? ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?? (Maximus Decimus Meridius)

ephil
ephil (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 10:10
I was really impressed how well our lineout functioned against some of the best disruptive forwards in the league. Also, this time it wasn't our replacement hooker who couldn't throw for toffee!

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 10:52
Tigers actually had a very strong bench; unfortunately there were no decent players sitting on it.

(Probably unfair, but I thought up that joke at the beginning of the season and there may not be another chance to use it)

everycloud
everycloud (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 10:56
HaHa! Very good. Worth the wait!!

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 11:37
I must admit that I'm confused in that Spencer was our first choice lock, and getting loads of plaudits from the pundits (well, Flats had a man crush on him). However, he's now a bench warmer for a bottom half of the table club.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 14:03
he's been out injured for quite a while. Suspect he's just coming back from that.

Stopsy
Stopsy (IP Logged)
25 February, 2019 15:18
He's our first choice too when available, as said above, first run out following a lengthy injury.

WarwickEastie
WarwickEastie (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 12:46
I was in line with the forward pass for the try and called it live - but was still relieved when they checked it and I was right!

Overall - just a real lack of composure in the killing zone from Wuss. How many attempted offloads were there that went to ground? Feels like we're trying to force things a little too much.

Also, being hypercritical I think we attack too laterally across the pitch - I wish we'd run straighter in mid field to create more space in the wider channels.

I think we were a bit lucky to get the benefit of both try overrule decisions - but I can see why the ref gave them and he was correct. Apart from those occasions, I don't really think Tigers created much. They certainly didn't help themselves with their own error rate in the 2nd half.

Overall, happy and relieved!

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 14:21
WE - 'I think we attack too laterally across the pitch - I wish we'd run straighter in mid field to create more space in the wider channels'

Te'o?

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 16:37
I personally think we'd be better off pulling our forwards off the wing and getting them to do the job they're paid for. It appeared that Ted had taken up the left wing birth, a place normally reserved for Barry if recent games are to go by. I rate Ted, but not as a winger.

Underdog
Underdog (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 17:01
I actually think we should be employing Fatialofa as a wider carrier. It's the job Armand, Falatau and N Hughes successfully do for their sides. They all have the mobility and handling skills to cause havoc. Best of all, we have the midfield set up to get him the ball out there quickly once we have quick ball.

everycloud
everycloud (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 18:09
I think if they could actually get the ball into Teds hands when on the wing, you would be surprised what he can do. He has pace and strength. On that note, he got himself into 3 nailed on scoring positions on the wing on Sunday and the ball was either intercepted or not passed at all. In the final attack a 2 on 1 was spurned before the ball was passsd back across field to score in the opposite corner. Thankfully Tom made an excellent finish. Keeping that width in attack seems to be one of the things forwards, particularly blindsides, are paid to do.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 18:53
I'd personally rather see my forwards shuffle back into the midfield and post the quick lads onto the wide channels. I know it occasionally works, but I think Tom showed with his finish why you need pace on the wing. I'm not sure who else on the team would have made it to the line without a Tiger in the way, certainly not any of the big lads.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 19:21
Two in particular of the front five are fond of placing (or are told to place?) themselves in midfield where possible: Darren Barry and Callum Black. The latter has proved quite useful a couple of times in gaining a the odd metre or slowing things down when necessary; on the whole, though, these things are better left to the back row.

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
26 February, 2019 19:43
One guy who I think has the skills to play more in midfield is Waller. His inside pass for Venterís break in midfield would have been one Dunky would have been proud of. His vision and execution of the pass was top class for a prop. Really impressed me that did

WarwickEastie
WarwickEastie (IP Logged)
27 February, 2019 12:45
Patgadd - I've also noticed Callum Black popping up regularly at first receiver - but I'm not a fan. I think he's too slow, looking for contact and ground straight away.

If he was popping passes / drawing defenders, I'd be happy - but he just slows things down.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
28 February, 2019 13:51
I'm never sure why Callum or Nick are given the ball, neither offer anything going forward. Using them as guards and bodyguards makes more sense.

Wah-RE-or
Wah-RE-or (IP Logged)
28 February, 2019 16:29
I've been impressed when Callum, rather than just join in a ruck, has acted as 9 and distributed the ball keeping the tempo up. I've always wondered why when quick ball is needed that time is taken getting the big blokes into a cuddle and the 9 to turn up before the ball is passed. Why let the defence settle and tie your lumps up? Bang them in, tie up defenders and move the ball around.

Have I got the job yet?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net