Latest news:

Drumming
Discussion started by Old Col (IP Logged), 12 May, 2019 12:34
Old Col
Old Col
12 May, 2019 12:34
If there is one thing I hate at a rugby match (is it a crime to do so ? ) it is the drumming at Wasps and at London Irish . Really intrusive ,mostly for the benefit of the drummers and deadening to the enjoyment of the game. I wonder if it affects the players not used to it. Should it be banned?--I for one do not want to be forced to listen to it.

MESSAGES->author
West Brom Warrior
12 May, 2019 12:49
If the players are distracted by drumming in the crowd they are in the wrong profession and you are not forced to listen to it you decide to go to an area where crowd noise is expected, as long as there is nothing in the stadium rules banning musical instruments then the drummers are not doing anything wrong.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed
12 May, 2019 13:35
Quote:
West Brom Warrior
If the players are distracted by drumming in the crowd they are in the wrong profession and you are not forced to listen to it you decide to go to an area where crowd noise is expected, as long as there is nothing in the stadium rules banning musical instruments then the drummers are not doing anything wrong.

Youíve clearly never been seated directly in front of them.

Itís a bit like the loud buzzing at the Ricoh when the opposition run out.....not against stadium rules, just bloody rude.

Abmatt
Abmatt
12 May, 2019 13:53
I detest it. And WBW as for saying youíre not forced to listen to it, you canít escape it at the Ricoh. It reverberates around the ground, then to make things worse they walk round.

WorcesterSauce
WorcesterSauce
12 May, 2019 14:44
Drums at sporting events can be used very well to a teams advantage. It can keep fans in rhythm and generally help with the singing/chanting. Unfortunately at Irish/Wasps they are used in a way that, as Old Col says, purely benefits the drummers. In rugby at least, they tend to kill the atmosphere rather than create it. Iím sure they are banned at Sixways...

Malvern Man
Malvern Man
12 May, 2019 16:43
But not the trumpet!

MESSAGES->author
West Brom Warrior
12 May, 2019 17:40
Quote:
Abmatt
I detest it. And WBW as for saying youíre not forced to listen to it, you canít escape it at the Ricoh. It reverberates around the ground, then to make things worse they walk round.

Are there no exits at the stadium?

Abmatt
Abmatt
12 May, 2019 19:36
Quote:
West Brom Warrior
Quote:
Abmatt
I detest it. And WBW as for saying youíre not forced to listen to it, you canít escape it at the Ricoh. It reverberates around the ground, then to make things worse they walk round.

Are there no exits at the stadium?

Yes, and I used them at the end of the match

MESSAGES->author
West Brom Warrior
13 May, 2019 09:35
Quote:
Abmatt
Quote:
West Brom Warrior
Quote:
Abmatt
I detest it. And WBW as for saying youíre not forced to listen to it, you canít escape it at the Ricoh. It reverberates around the ground, then to make things worse they walk round.

Are there no exits at the stadium?

Yes, and I used them at the end of the match

Fine but don't go to a ground where you know there will be drumming and then moan about the drumming. You decide to go and therefore subject yourself to the drumming noises. Its like going to a concert and moaning about the music.

TVM Rides Again....Again
TVM Rides Again
13 May, 2019 09:39
Quote:
West Brom Warrior
Quote:
Abmatt
Quote:
West Brom Warrior
Quote:
Abmatt
I detest it. And WBW as for saying youíre not forced to listen to it, you canít escape it at the Ricoh. It reverberates around the ground, then to make things worse they walk round.

Are there no exits at the stadium?

Yes, and I used them at the end of the match

Fine but don't go to a ground where you know there will be drumming and then moan about the drumming. You decide to go and therefore subject yourself to the drumming noises. Its like going to a concert and moaning about the music.

It does seem to be something of a case of 2 parties stubbornly saying - 'NO - you must do it the way I want!'

Maybe I am just a bit jaded, but if this sort of thing is the thing you have in life you are the most agitated about you a blessed indeed.

Maybe I'm just jealous smiling smiley

MESSAGES->author
Powick Eastander
13 May, 2019 09:40
Would you pass up the chance to go to Clermont? they have one or two drummers.. (Sm100)



http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg Warriors Rugby Supporters Club http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg

griff
Griff
13 May, 2019 11:48
Hello Wuss folks. London Irish (say it quietly...) drummer here. I fully understand that some people don't like what we do but we do get quite a lot of feedback and incredibly it is, in the main, positive. Especially from the players who have said on many occasions they miss the drums when we're away from home.
At the MadStad (at least next season) we're situated at the North end of the East stand - best place to avoid us is either South of the West or possibly the East (you could argue the sound has a lot of dampeners between you and it if you're in the same stand - but obviously you're closer).
We do try and do a less-is-more approach but sometimes people are very quiet in our huge soulless concrete bowl so we try and get some interaction going.
The reason we employed drums was after a visit to Toulouse where we were impressed with theirs and thought it might be a way to get our crowds making some noise.
I hope you enjoy your last visit to Irish at Reading this year.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed
14 May, 2019 11:50
Griff, thanks for the well reasoned and calm post......and welcome back.

While weíre on the subject of stadium behaviour, Iíd be interested in your thoughts on pa usage, particularly while the game in in play.

Both at your place and The Ricoh itís my observation that the power of the pa is used to attempt to increase home support and/or intimidate the opposition at certain times.

Itís one thing, after a score, for Caimh to announce the current score and finish with ď Come ON you Irish...Ē, itís quite another to use the few seconds while the teams walk to a line-out or scrum to again use the pa to encourage the home crowd to raise the noise levels. The game is in play, and I think itís inappropriate.

Caimh does it often, as does the bloke at the Ricoh, and to a lesser extent it occurs at The Stoop, where the Mighty Quin jingle is used during play.

I donít think it fits with the degree of respect that is usually offered to visiting teams, and it really winds some supporters up. And the more supporters get wound up by what they consider unacceptable the more we edge towards spectator segregation being thought a good thing, which Iím sure we all agree would be a disaster for the craic.

And you boys love the craic now!

griff
Griff
14 May, 2019 13:49
Ted,

I'm very much in agreement with you there, except I don't think Caimh does it that often - that might be my bias obvs (I've not been to the Ricoh but don't remember it being so egregious at Adams Park). I'd be happy to see RFU/PRL regulate use of PAs (and drums/instruments) if it comes to that. I don't think we're anywhere near crowd segregation (and hooray for that) basically because the vast majority of rugby supporters can identify when they're being wound-up and ignore it.

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO
14 May, 2019 15:03
I am very pleased that Sixways is a drum free area and that our PA is respectful to the opposition.

A38
A38
14 May, 2019 15:09
Quote:
ROLLO
I am very pleased that Sixways is a drum free area and that our PA is respectful to the opposition.

Fully agree. I think that Dave Bradley gets it just right - always welcoming visitors and wishing them a safe journey home.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed
14 May, 2019 17:08
Quote:
Griff
Ted,
I'm very much in agreement with you there, except I don't think Caimh does it that often - that might be my bias obvs (I've not been to the Ricoh but don't remember it being so egregious at Adams Park). I'd be happy to see RFU/PRL regulate use of PAs (and drums/instruments) if it comes to that. I don't think we're anywhere near crowd segregation (and hooray for that) basically because the vast majority of rugby supporters can identify when they're being wound-up and ignore it.

Itís an opportunity for some research next season isnít it.

Youíll be on TV quite a lot Iíd expect, and weíll be able to see whatís what. With regard to spectator behaviour Iím very aware of the thin end of the wedge!!. We have an ex-footie import near us whoís been in his season ticket seat for 4 years, and still spends the entire game shouting at Sir and calling him a muppet for virtually every decision that goes against us, and Iíd cheerfully thump him if I thought I could get away with it.

Old Col
Old Col
14 May, 2019 20:28
Well ,Griff said it ---HIS players will miss it--I dare say the players of 10 other clubs will not.I certainly do not want to be deterred from supporting my club at certain away matches by being forced to listen to something I find intrudes on the game and is knowingly designed to put the the visiting team off. I.E. Not go or listen to a contiuous loud hammering sound.Lousy choice.Nice post by Griff--why not take a proper vote from spectators--a simple voting slip with the tickets and give those who do not like it a chance to express themselves , E.G do you want drumming -yes or no.

MESSAGES->author
West Brom Warrior
14 May, 2019 21:41
Quote:
Old Col
Well ,Griff said it ---HIS players will miss it--I dare say the players of 10 other clubs will not.I certainly do not want to be deterred from supporting my club at certain away matches by being forced to listen to something I find intrudes on the game and is knowingly designed to put the the visiting team off. I.E. Not go or listen to a contiuous loud hammering sound.Lousy choice.Nice post by Griff--why not take a proper vote from spectators--a simple voting slip with the tickets and give those who do not like it a chance to express themselves , E.G do you want drumming -yes or no.

Sorry you are not forced to listen to it you make a decision to go to grounds where there is drumming that is free will.

I again repeat if the players are put off by drumming they are in the wrong profession. The drumming in that respect is no different to the crowd making some noise at a throw in but hopefully nobody is going to start complaining about that.

gmem
Garym
14 May, 2019 21:55
Compare and contrast the difference between the two European finals over the weekend. All French affair and the crowd are really noisy as expected during the kick, while on Saturday it was quiet as you could get. In both cases it was the cultural norm for that country, but you know well that Carlings old mates (the crusty old farts) would be up in arms over the noise on Friday. They also had plenty of drums and added to the experience/atmosphere. I for one loved it, if you want a library experience, go to the library



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/05/2019 22:04 by Garym.

SimonG19
SimonG19
15 May, 2019 13:02
Quote:
West Brom Warrior
Quote:
Abmatt
Quote:
West Brom Warrior
Quote:
Abmatt
I detest it. And WBW as for saying youíre not forced to listen to it, you canít escape it at the Ricoh. It reverberates around the ground, then to make things worse they walk round.

Are there no exits at the stadium?

Yes, and I used them at the end of the match

Fine but don't go to a ground where you know there will be drumming and then moan about the drumming. You decide to go and therefore subject yourself to the drumming noises. Its like going to a concert and moaning about the music.

Hardly. You go to a concert to listen to the music. You go to a rugby match to watch the rugby. Usually.

MESSAGES->author
West Brom Warrior
15 May, 2019 16:55
Quote:
SimonG19
Quote:
West Brom Warrior
Quote:
Abmatt
Quote:
West Brom Warrior
Quote:
Abmatt
I detest it. And WBW as for saying youíre not forced to listen to it, you canít escape it at the Ricoh. It reverberates around the ground, then to make things worse they walk round.

Are there no exits at the stadium?

Yes, and I used them at the end of the match

Fine but don't go to a ground where you know there will be drumming and then moan about the drumming. You decide to go and therefore subject yourself to the drumming noises. Its like going to a concert and moaning about the music.

Hardly. You go to a concert to listen to the music. You go to a rugby match to watch the rugby. Usually.

Should any crowd noise be allowed then on the basis we are only there to watch the rugby?

Wah-RE-or
Wah-RE-or
15 May, 2019 17:50
I have to say i really hate overly loud and distorted PA systems and repetitive near continuous instruments. Yes a bit of noise now and then but moderation please and no PA when the game is on.

SimonG19
SimonG19
15 May, 2019 19:43
Quote:
West Brom Warrior
Quote:
SimonG19
Quote:
West Brom Warrior
Quote:
Abmatt
Quote:
West Brom Warrior
Quote:
Abmatt
I detest it. And WBW as for saying youíre not forced to listen to it, you canít escape it at the Ricoh. It reverberates around the ground, then to make things worse they walk round.

Are there no exits at the stadium?

Yes, and I used them at the end of the match

Fine but don't go to a ground where you know there will be drumming and then moan about the drumming. You decide to go and therefore subject yourself to the drumming noises. Its like going to a concert and moaning about the music.

Hardly. You go to a concert to listen to the music. You go to a rugby match to watch the rugby. Usually.

Should any crowd noise be allowed then on the basis we are only there to watch the rugby?

Don't be silly of course crowd noise should be allowed. My point was that your example was ridiculous as the primary reason to attend rugby is to watch the rugby and the primary reason to attend a concert is to listen to the music. Therefore equating complaining about the music at a concert is hardly the same as complaining about a minor issue at rugby like drumming.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver
16 May, 2019 08:13
I'd dislike the drum if I unwittingly bought a ticket for a seat right next to it. Otherwise I don't see it as any different from the guy in the east stand with the air horn. I remember the uproar when Charlie Little(?) banned them.

What I really dislike is when there is someone near me 'getting the beers on' all through the game so I'm up and down like tower bridge letting them past. Then, when they are seated all you hear is "F-this and F-that".

Drums, meh.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980
16 May, 2019 12:56
Strangely enough and i know not why but the drummers @ Sarries don't grate me like other grounds mentioned.



Eats,Shoots And Leaves

Abmatt
Abmatt
16 May, 2019 13:03
Quote:
w4rriorz1980
Strangely enough and i know not why but the drummers @ Sarries don't grate me like other grounds mentioned.

More open so sound disperses better?

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980
16 May, 2019 13:07
Think Briz had drummers also iirc.

But i wouldn't have noticed anyway as there was a cacophony of Welsh teenage lads behind me shouting
, "Josh,give us wave! " Most of the match......



Eats,Shoots And Leaves



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/05/2019 14:51 by w4rriorz1980.

WorcesterSauce
WorcesterSauce
16 May, 2019 13:46
Why donít fans at these grounds make up some songs for the drummers to actually drum to? Their drumming may then not seem to turgid...


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net