rugbyunion
Latest News:
We are The Warriors! The Mighty Worcester Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

MESSAGES->author
Some 6N not free to air
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
12 July, 2019 20:40

MESSAGES->author
Re: Some 6N not free to air
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
12 July, 2019 20:55
A future worry.

2020 6N is all on free terrestrial.

[www.sixnationsrugby.com]

Freypal
Freypal (IP Logged)
13 July, 2019 09:26
Huge risk to putting internationals behind a paywall. I don't think rugby has enough of a following to be sustainable, especially now you can be forced to subscribing to both sky and BT. It destroyed the following of international cricket.

F1 viewing has dropped off a cliff too, e.g;

Lewis Hamilton was shocked when he heard that live UK viewing figures for Formula 1 had dropped significantly since 2008.

When the Brit won the first of his five World Championships at the 2008 Brazilian Grand Prix, 8.9 million people watched the free-to-air broadcast live in the UK.

However, a mere 1.28 million saw the live coverage of his fifth World Title win on pay-TV.

gmem
Garym (IP Logged)
13 July, 2019 12:43
This is the downside of accepting the CvC money and effectively handing over the media rights to them, I did point this out when they first put the money up and the impact that they had on F1. This will only be the beginning for them ....

Moyles
Moyles (IP Logged)
13 July, 2019 21:49
I am sure the article says it will not be exclusive to free to air - therefore it will be on free to air - and on pay per view as well. In which case what is the harm?

WorcesterSauce
WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
13 July, 2019 23:45
I think you are confused Moyles. The scenario is thag some matches will remain exclusively on free to air but others will be exclusively behind a pay wall. It will not be the case that some matches are on both BT Sport and BBC1. That would make zero sense for BT Sport when buying the rights. I can’t think of any other sport where that happens (in fact the only time at all i can think of it happening is for tomorrows cricket world cup final. This would be exceptionally harmful to the long term growth of the sport.

MESSAGES->author
Abberley (IP Logged)
14 July, 2019 00:26
In the 60s, the move to Merit Tables was resisted for fear it would lead to paid players
In the 80s, the move to professional rugby was resisted for fear it would lead to... this?

Although it doesn't specifically refer to sport as a commodity, this recent Grauniad article might be an insight into how the next phase is being influenced.

Streaming TV is about to get very expensive

'Broadcast' TV, whether terrestrial or satellite, is as relevant today as the dead-tree press.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net