Latest news:

Squad at the Start of the Season
Discussion started by Faithful_City (IP Logged), 06 August, 2019 09:19
MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City
06 August, 2019 09:19
Trying out how the new SN handles graphics.

This is how I see the squad breakdown at the start of the season. Only 2 recruits are likely to make the 1st XV but others may fight their way in

http://www.sixwaysrugby.co.uk/Stats/2019-20/Images/SquadStart.jpg

Link to full size table

JP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2019 09:20 by Faithful_City.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City
06 August, 2019 09:55
Another version

http://www.sixwaysrugby.co.uk/Stats/2019-20/Images/SquadStart2.jpg

Link to full size Image

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City
06 August, 2019 10:13
Or even this one

http://www.sixwaysrugby.co.uk/Stats/2019-20/Images/SquadStart3.jpg

Link to full size image

A38
A38
06 August, 2019 10:13
Like the clarity of the graphics.

The listings give us a good few debating points but, as ever, it will be injuries which influence selection as the season progresses.

Sheldon
Sheldon
06 August, 2019 11:10
I would make two minor changes which are Cox for Williams and Beck for Butler. We might see quite a bit of Beck if fit.

AJWarriors
AJWarriors
06 August, 2019 11:43
On paper thatís not a bad squad with quite good depth. Iíd swap Waller for Black based on his performances on the back of last season and Kitchener for Bresler,because he adds some weight to the pack and can play 4 and 5 whereas Bres can only play 4.

The back row will be the most interesting selection. I agree Du Preez starts at 8 but towards the end of the season he started at 7 in one of the games (canít recall which) with Ted at 6. It makes me wonder if we will go for a heavier pack this year with maybe Ted at 6, Marco at 7 and Cornell at 8? Either way thereís some decent possibilities there.

Warrior Al
Warrior Al
06 August, 2019 13:21
AJ to me you can't sacrifice Sam Lewis for weight. The turnovers and tackles he gets through in a game is so important. I would personally never sacrifice a 7 for weight but especially not Sam

usa warrior
usa warrior
06 August, 2019 13:33
Bresler was immense in the last few games as well.

Reckon Bresler and Fatialofa will end up as our starting pairing.

AJWarriors
AJWarriors
06 August, 2019 14:19
Quote:
Warrior Al
AJ to me you can't sacrifice Sam Lewis for weight. The turnovers and tackles he gets through in a game is so important. I would personally never sacrifice a 7 for weight but especially not Sam

No I know Warrior Al. Lewis is the first name on the team sheet for me but Iím just highlighting that Du Preez started at 7 in front of him and whether the coaches would go forward with that. Itís a nice selection headache to have

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie
06 August, 2019 14:41
I too would sub Beef for Callum, based on performances at the end of last season. Unless we see a lot more from Fatialofa, I would start Kitch senior with Bresler.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

usa warrior
usa warrior
06 August, 2019 16:46
Fatialofa is tipped to have a big season. Was always going to be tough coming straight in without a pre-season.

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO
06 August, 2019 20:14
I agree with USA Warrior.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City
06 August, 2019 20:14
Sheldon, Butler is a 12, Beck a 13.

JP

AJWarriors
AJWarriors
06 August, 2019 20:51
Beck is a 12 JP heís cover for Millsy and Venter and Lawrence are our 13ís

A38
A38
06 August, 2019 20:58
I rather suspect that, if he stays fit, we shall see quite a bit of Beck during the season.

dkexile
dkexile
06 August, 2019 22:42
Quote:
Warrior Al

Just curious if anyone has the stats for how many turnovers and tackles our backrowers got last season? I always thought Mama was best at openside and we should rotate our back row more.

AJWarriors
AJWarriors
06 August, 2019 23:08
I agree with that. Our back row options are good enough to be able to do that now I think. It will keep the players fresh and hungry

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City
07 August, 2019 07:55
I feel this year if we can get Mama fully fit, Du Preez is fully fit, Hill a year more experienced and inclusion of Montgomery we have a pretty good backrow capability.

JP

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie
07 August, 2019 10:05
JP, your lists don't seem to include Joe Morris, who I thought had been promoted to the first team this season and of whom Mefin thinks very highly.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City
07 August, 2019 10:57
OK BB I will update list

I do have a separate list of A cadamy players

Sheldon
Sheldon
07 August, 2019 11:58
I think Beck does cover both positions but is better known at outside centre. He is quick and often scores if he makes the outside break . He got the better of Venter when the Ospreys played the Cheetahs and was MOM but can also play inside. The real point is he is the same quality as Venter . My personal opinion is that Mills is inconsistent and don't forget how strongly we finished the season without him. I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with Beck and Venter. Both very quick and strong and excellent handlers and both tier 1 internationals

MESSAGES->author
Fiver
07 August, 2019 13:23
I think sometimes we relied too heavily on Mills and perhaps played him when he wasn't fully fit. I personally struggle to see a weak link in any of our centres, as such I'd play people based on form and fitness, not reputations.

kiddykid
kiddykid
07 August, 2019 16:28
Ethan Waller over Calum Black - EVERY time.

shrewsburyman
shrewsburyman
08 August, 2019 13:33
I felt that Cornell made a big difference when returned after his injury and if he and Marco remain fit then despite the loss of Jack our forwards will be stronger than last year. I feel our recruitment has been sensible and well judged but we all realise that this coming season will be tough. I remain hopeful rather than confident. As far as the backs are concerned they could do even better than last year depending on how FH performs and how good the new wingers are!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net