Latest news:

Tackling Dementia Sports Cafe at Sixways
Discussion started by Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged), 08 August, 2019 14:30
Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie
08 August, 2019 14:30
Just a quick post to say thank you to Simon Northcott, Warriors' Disability and Inclusion Lead, and the rest of his team at Sixways, including the volunteers who help run the Tackling Dementia Sports Cafe.

My mum suffers from dementia and the family were recommended to try one or more of the various cafes and support groups in Worcester. I knew about the one at Warriors, having seen a couple of articles about it, so yesterday my partner and I went along to have a look at it, to see what went on and whether it would be something worth taking mum along to.

Simon and his team were very welcoming and took the time to talk to us for half an hour or more, explaining their approach and how it all works.

The focus is very much on the individual and there is no pressure on them to join in the many and varied sports activities: if they just want to sit and chat with someone over a cup of tea, that's fine, or they can play board games, cards, read, do crosswords - whatever they feel comfortable doing.

As far as sporting activities are concerned, when we walked across to the Scrum Club from Main Reception there were some people playing cricket and a couple of gentlemen playing bowls, both on the artificial pitch. There was a table tennis table set up and you could also play tennis in the Colosseum Bar. There was also an area for carpet curling. There was a yoga session taking place in the room above the Scrum Club and they are getting a gardening project off the ground, using some raised beds behind the West Stand.

There is no charge for any of the sessions (unless they go on an away-day, such as the recent outing to the Severn Valley Railway) and there is free tea and coffee on tap. Family members are welcome and they try to give carers and families a break as well: some of the carers were taking advantage of the yoga or one of the other activities, whilst the person they normally cared for was looked after by Simon, one of his team or one of the volunteers that help out.

The cafe has been running for about 18 months and last year helped win Warriors the Dementia Friendly Organisation of the Year Award - Small and Medium Category, at the National Dementia Friendly Awards. The cafe also made it onto an international shortlist of 6 in the Sustainability and Community Category of the Stadium Business Awards 2019. Darren Barry was also nominated for the Gallagher Community Player of the Year Award 2019 because of his work as Ambassador for the cafe.

The sessions run every week, on a Wednesday between 10.00 - 12.30. Parking is free and it was clearly a very safe and welcoming environment. If you know anyone living with dementia or caring for someone who is, please recommend Sixways to them. We will be giving it a try.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City
08 August, 2019 15:13
Absolutely fantastic stuff, thanks for posting it up.

We are not just a rugby club but a rugby community supporting the community.

JP

MESSAGES->author
West Brom Warrior
08 August, 2019 16:29
Great post BB I am proud the club offers these types of facilities for the local community.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980
08 August, 2019 17:02
Hear hear!

Well done all round!

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie
08 August, 2019 19:39
I should also have added that dogs are especially welcome, particularly if the owners are well trained!

A38
A38
08 August, 2019 21:52
Dementia is certainly something which we may all have to face in one way or another and the work being done at Sixways is very much to be applauded.

Royal Warrior
Flip Flop
09 August, 2019 12:35
Great work by the club, and by those involved with this initiative.

Great work in highlighting the initiative too BB, as it may have otherwise gone under the radar.

I hope that it provides what will no doubt be an important element in supporting your Mum and you / your family.

MESSAGES->author
C.M.O.T. Dibbler
09 August, 2019 13:03
Many thanks for posting this BB.
I have circulated copies to the Seniors Section at my Golf Club (over 100 people over 55) as some of them are suffering from Dementia and are struggling to play regularly, and others will almost certainly know someone who would benefit from this Cafe.
I have to confess that I was not aware of its existence and will now look at the possibility of acting as a volunteer during the winter when I cannot play as much.

Light thinks it travels faster than anything, but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds that darkness has got there first, and is waiting for it! - Terry Pratchett.

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie
13 August, 2019 20:42
I don't do Facebook myself but I've been told that there is a Facebook page for the cafe, [www.facebook.com]

Marley66
Marley66
16 August, 2019 20:38
It' s great to see the work that the Community Foundation do being recognised. The Dementia cafe is one of a number of projects that they are running and I think you would be surprised at what else they are up to.

The WRSC are hosting an evening with the Foundation Team in the Business Suite at Sixways on Wed 4 Sep 19 at which they will give us an insight to what they are up to and how we can help. You will be inspired!

It's a free event (and you can have a peek at what is going on around Sixways) so if you'd like to come along, and we'd love to see you all, please follow this link:

[warriorsrugbysupportersclub.co.uk]

Thanks,

BL

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net