rugbyunion
Latest News:

You can Tweet this forum topic straight to Twtitter by clicking this button.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Cardiff Blues 21 Ulster 14
Londonwelsh (IP Logged)
17 February, 2012 20:57
I thought this was a good win over an inform Ulster side. Watching on telly there seemed to be a good atmosphere at CAP. The first half we were dire and was lucky to be in touching distance of Ulster but I was happy with our 2nd half showing.

Dan Parks had a mixed bag. Missed kick to touch, 2 charged down kicks it looked to be the same old story. 2nd half was better from Parks Scored a good try, that pass to Ben Blair was sublime. However his missed kicks could have cost us the game. Parks is infuriating to watch.

Rush carried ball well and made good yards. It was like watching the Rush of old. Deserved man of the match. Henson showed some nice touches, Tom James, Paterson, Evans all played well.

Overall a good result and let’s hope to see more matches at CAP.

Thoughts?

Re: Cardiff Blues 21 Ulster 14
jazz n blues (IP Logged)
17 February, 2012 21:41
just back from cap....a tale of two halves and a schizophrenic kicker....i think u summed it up well. some good performances across the team...but parks should have lost us the game oin many levels....his head didn't seem right...but two wins at the cap....reasonable crowds (but still would not generate enough income to sustain a top class set up ).....enjoyable night !

hands in the ruck (IP Logged)
17 February, 2012 22:20
why wasn't Blair taking the kicks

Laulala was a tellytuby wasn't he? (IP Logged)
17 February, 2012 23:33
After a shocking first half, in which he wasn't helped by Williams (who had his worst 40 minutes for the senior team IMO), Parks controlled the game excellently second half. Effectively won us the game.

Henson is still class. Defensively he is up there with Stitch as the best 12 i've seen in the last 10 years and Muller longer term. Yet he is also a real threat going forward, even ignoring the hands and the angles, simply the space he creates for those around him is a joy to watch.

PaulJ (IP Logged)
18 February, 2012 12:45
A positive to just get the victory. We did however look a little lost numerous times.

bluesmonkey (IP Logged)
18 February, 2012 12:58
First 20 mins we did look lost but we were playing into the wind and had players coming in from international duty who had not trained with the Blues so it took a while to sort that out. Our halfbacks both looked confused for the first quarter or so but then settled down.
2nd half performance was very good actually and everybody put in a big shift. Have to give credit to Gav Henson too who for most of the game was first to the ruck and stopped us conceding penalties for holding on. Did a lot of pinano shifting last night in addition to some lovely hands. Very physical game indeed and the boys did well to beat that Ulster side. If we can pull off the same thing in Munster and Treviso while all the internationals are away we will be in good nick for the play offs.

ystradblue (IP Logged)
18 February, 2012 14:52
Can some one please tell me how Lloyd williams starts at 9 before RR. I dont want to knock the lad, but i cant see for the life of me what people see in him, and number 2 in Wales. Please explain

bluesmonkey (IP Logged)
18 February, 2012 15:05
He is much more physical than Richie and has a better pass. What he doesn't have is experience and when he is in Wales training camp then he is not playing and when he doesn't play he gets a bit hesitant. Richie is at his best when there is a bit more space around and players are tired as he then ups the tempo. Richie is on good form at the moment but he was dire at the beginning of the season. Lloyd is a better technical scrum half and will turn into a great scrum half but young players need experience and you can't coach that they have to get it.

amstel (IP Logged)
18 February, 2012 19:08
Quote:
bluesmonkey
He is much more physical than Richie and has a better pass. What he doesn't have is experience and when he is in Wales training camp then he is not playing and when he doesn't play he gets a bit hesitant. Richie is at his best when there is a bit more space around and players are tired as he then ups the tempo. Richie is on good form at the moment but he was dire at the beginning of the season. Lloyd is a better technical scrum half and will turn into a great scrum half but young players need experience and you can't coach that they have to get it.
What kind of reply was that to a decent post from ystradblue ?

Williams has been poor since his cameo performances in the WC.
Cant deny He had a poor game again last night.
He plays headless rugby, running into blind alleys, needless kicking, poor decision making and his overall reading of the game is not good enough.
Williams has had the fortune of starting behind our strongest pack for most of his games.
Unlike Rees, as you claim "was dire at beginning of season", perhaps because he was playing behind a pack that was getting hammered in most games.

Last night without Warby, Melon and Bradley in front of him, lloyd looked clueless.
When Rees came-on he gave stability and control.
The pupil playing the 1st half and the tutor playing the 2nd half.
That is why mostly lloyd usually gets the shepherds crook mostly early in the 2nd half.
You said he gets a bit hesitant.
Dont make me laugh !
Its called confidence, how does everyone else manage?

Having a good pass is not essential for a 9, just look at Mike Phillips.
You say lloyd is a better technical 9, Please explain ?
Because i aint seen nothing technical from him as of yet.
Will agree he will be a good player in time( he is getting enough pushing), but he is not as good as some proclaim at the moment!
All i hope is that Rees plays in the HC against Leinster !!!!!!!!!!!

bluesmonkey (IP Logged)
18 February, 2012 19:13
It was my response based on the games I have watched live with both players and I stand by that. You don't agree fine mate but that don't make me wrong

Selgwent (IP Logged)
18 February, 2012 21:27
The other reason why RR looked better than LW was that Lloyd spent a whole half passing to a less than convincing Parks. By the time Richie came on Parks had finally got his act together and started to make life easier for all around him.

Can't do much for anyone's confidence having to link up with Parks on an off day.

blueshuw (IP Logged)
19 February, 2012 00:16
I'm not convinced by RR and tend to generally agree with Bluesmonkeys original post.It's only opinion.

ystradblue (IP Logged)
19 February, 2012 09:19
Quote:
Selgwent
The other reason why RR looked better than LW was that Lloyd spent a whole half passing to a less than convincing Parks. By the time Richie came on Parks had finally got his act together and started to make life easier for all around him.
Can't do much for anyone's confidence having to link up with Parks on an off day.

The opposite could be true. Parks had a nightmare half being fed ball from an out of form LW.

19 February, 2012 10:11
Nice to see Ben Blair playing so well after a horrendous year out with knee problems,hope we keep him for next season.

Cardifflose (IP Logged)
19 February, 2012 10:41
Quote:
ystradblue
Quote:
Selgwent

The opposite could be true. Parks had a nightmare half being fed ball from an out of form LW.

? And I suppose LW being on the pitch meant Dan couldn't even kick up a stink let alone a ball in 1st and before you come back with " it was the service of LW" he missed a pen touch finder and nearly took the ulster hooker head off with one kick when he was under no pressure

Selgwent (IP Logged)
19 February, 2012 17:14
As Cardifflose has just stated: in what way was LW responsible for the horribly hooked, daisy cutter penalties Parks produced?

bloogoo (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 13:49
Great atmosphere. Poor game. Good win.

Since the Chuckle bothers have taken over I'm constantly scratching my head at what our game plan is? We seem to be going everywhere but nowhere.

Agreed about Lloyd, real shame but I'm sure he'll come through it. Whilst I feel for Parks as he gets some @#$%&, I can't wait for him to move on and bring someone new in.

Awesome to see Blair back, crowd reaction said it all.

20 February, 2012 14:57
agreed Blair is pure class

Neil (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 15:50
Quote:
jazz n blues
just back from cap....a tale of two halves and a schizophrenic kicker....i think u summed it up well. some good performances across the team...but parks should have lost us the game oin many levels....his head didn't seem right...but two wins at the cap....reasonable crowds (but still would not generate enough income to sustain a top class set up ).....enjoyable night !
Please explain why not. And do you know what the income has been for Cardiif over the last two games?

Soldier: This is the worst part. The calm before the battle
Fry: And then the battle is not so bad?
Soldier: Oh, right. I forgot about the battle

Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot

Neil (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 15:58
Quote:
hands in the ruck
why wasn't Blair taking the kicks
taking the pressure of his knee still and also the fact that DP is the 1st choice kicker!
Am so, so pleased to see BB back and playing well. After what was said by the management about his future last year, it is a great succes story, now for some more....

Cardiff's game plan has been adapted by the coaches to play with a traditional No. 10 (remember those great Dai Flan days?) Hopefully next season will give us a better chance with Tovey there, but goodness knows who will be his understudy yet!!!

20 February, 2012 16:56
can't understand your theory about Blair not kicking, he kicked against Glaws, and quins and connacht, didn't rest it then , oh and Halfpenny is our first choice kicker surely.

Neil (IP Logged)
20 February, 2012 17:47
Quote:
hands in the ruck
can't understand your theory about Blair not kicking, he kicked against Glaws, and quins and connacht, didn't rest it then , oh and Halfpenny is our first choice kicker surely.
OK then I will say it simply. He still has issues with his knee and kicking can increase the discomfort. Whereas DP has a pretty good kicking record and is NOT carrying an injury smiling smiley

20 February, 2012 18:50
if that's the case simply put why was he kicking in the three previous games your theory does'nt stack up

Neil (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 09:41
Quote:
hands in the ruck
if that's the case simply put why was he kicking in the three previous games your theory does'nt stack up
FFS It is not a theory. He has been having pain in the knee so with DP able to take the kicks he hasn't.
Place kicking puts extra strain on the knee joints (try it sometime winking smiley )
He is being helped to prolong his career....

21 February, 2012 19:41
i think your making it up as you go so i will ask someone who really knows not just guessing, you obviously have no idea,
i'm bored with ill informed opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/02/2012 19:42 by hands in the ruck.

Neil (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 19:45
Quote:
hands in the ruck
i think your making it up as you go so i will ask someone who really knows not just guessing, you obviously have no idea,
ooooeeerrr get her......

blueshuw (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 21:52
I'm getting the same impression as hands in the ruck

cardiffsteve (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 22:34
The fact that Blair went off after 60 minutes - probable preplanned substitution - would possibly back up the point about Blair's fitness.

Why else take him off at that point? Fresh legs, yes - but then they also had the option of replacing Mustoe or James.

shrekogre (IP Logged)
22 February, 2012 09:33
Quote:
Neil
Quote:
hands in the ruck
ooooeeerrr get her......

Hi Neil, I know your right. There are those in the know and those who arn't.

Bluestown (IP Logged)
22 February, 2012 09:36
Quote:
shrekogre
Quote:
Neil
Quote:
hands in the ruck
ooooeeerrr get her......

Hi Neil, I know your right. There are those in the know and those who arn't.

ooooeeerrr get her......

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
CAPTCHA
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net