rugbyunion
Latest News:

You can Tweet this forum topic straight to Twtitter by clicking this button.

gethin leaves
boggieboo (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 00:18
According to Wales online gethin has signed for toulon

[www.walesonline.co.uk]

Re: gethin leaves
Londonwelsh (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 07:22
Sad day for the Blues but not unexpected. Good luck to him. We'll miss him when we are playing in Europe that's for sure.

I worry about the regions chances in Europe with all the top players leaving. Not good.

Cardifflose (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 08:26
Put on this site last week he was offto Toulon, but worse is yet to come guys Toulouse are readying a large transfer fee for one of our top players sad smiley

bluesmonkey (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 09:05
Big mistake for Gethin I think. Good news for Rhys Gill though.

Cardifflose (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 09:13
Is he really that much of a loss? How many times has he played for the blues in last 2 years? and his wage could pay for two decent nwqs or fringe players.
Not as gutted about this one as I was with Casey or as gutted as I will be about Sam

bluesmonkey (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 09:29
I doubt very much Sam would go to France whatever they offered at the moment.

Cardifflose (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 09:36
Would love too agree but put yourself in his and other blues team Wales players, if they sign a new deal with blues they will only get paid 6-8 times a year, and rumours going round that PT is looking into legals of current contracted players if they are away with Wales classifying them as absent and not paying them.
I too like you monkey hope this does not transpire

bluesmonkey (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 09:46
Peter Thomas said the other day on tv that he offered Gethin the same terms as this year, not different terms. So Gethin is in the papers today saying he is off because the Blues only want to pay him when he plays for them doesn't sound quite right to me. Yes Peter wants the WRU to top up the money basically so they pay them when they play for Wales but Regional Rugby who is doing the negotiating says they are not talking about WRU paying players and the regions not paying them at all but asking the wRU to find another funding model that may help the regions a bit.
My take on this is that Gethin ran out of patience. He was asked to wait until the Pricewaterhouse review was concluded and he obviously wouldn't do so and he is trying to justify his actions by leaking this to the press before an official announcement is made which is a bit poor in my book.
The other players are on contracts which state their terms and you can't alter those terms without renegotitation. I don't think players will get pay cuts but they won't get pay rises of the type to compete with France. Gethin is 30 and is at a different stage to players like Sam and Jamie who are still very young in career terms. Both of them have other things tying them to Cardiff at the moment. We will see what the WRU come up with in April and how that impacts on players but at the moment people are getting a bit hysterical over french money. Sam is captain of Wales, an honour he takes very seriously and if he is in France he will lose the chance to captain the Lions and keep his captaincy because of release issues. Plus I don't think his missus will let him go.
Gethin has taken the money and run. I am disappointed in him trying to dress it up as anything else but good luck to him. I think he has made a mistake in career terms.

Cardifflose (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 09:56
Can't disagree with anything you have said monkey, you are the forums voice of reason smiling smiley
My take on it is PT is trying to mind F*** the WRU into either big top ups or central contracts

bluesmonkey (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 10:05
If I am the voice of reason we are in big trouble mate.

Yes it is clear that PT wants central contracts or something like it and can't blame him for that.
Anyway as one guy goes another fills in so Sam Hobbs will get a lot more rugby and I rate him actually plus he covers both sides of the scrum. I'd like to see us go after Rhys Gill as he wants to come back to Wales.

boggieboo (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 11:23
It's not looking good of any of the regions the money is not just here and it looks like we have to bring in our youngsters like the scarlets not sure how many new players will be will be coming in. Worried how long we will be able to keep hold on to players like Warburton, Halfpenny, Roberts, Davies and even Cuthbert. I think the stay away supporters really need to look at themselves as being part of the problem even Peter Thomas said "In any business you cannot afford to pay someone with the crowds that we're getting, or the lack of them, and the way the game is going it cannot be sustained any longer by private equity".

21 February, 2012 13:09
Let's not get into a stadium debate if we can help it.

I have no qualms with Geth leaving. He's given us some great years, and at 30, with his injury record, you can't blame him for taking the money, nor PT for not offering it.

Long term contracts for our youngsters seems the only option to secure of talented youngsters.

Admin of theArmsPark.co.uk,
Make Noise and You Will Be Heard!

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/170/170_0_1264029860.jpg

boggieboo (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 13:24
Not trying to start another debate all im saying is wherever we are playing arms park or city stadium people need to go down and support the team

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/02/2012 13:32 by boggieboo.

cardiffstu (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 15:12
Gethin will be the first of many, maybe this year, maybe next - even those with contracts in place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/02/2012 15:13 by cardiffstu.

Rich. (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 17:22
I am optimistic that the WRFU will agree a plan (sorry a model) with the Regions which means they will be helped to retain their Welsh squad players (as happens in England with their 'elite' squad). What Peter Thomas is saying he wants is probably to some extent how how it will look - so roughly for each Welsh elite player the WRFU will pay approx half of their Regional salary and that portion the WRFU pay will not be taken into account when looking at the salary cap. SO we could for example spend 3.5M on salaries say which would be topped up by 1M for 7 elite players.

OK issues around not having a fixed elite squad and so they will want it more flexible than that but, as a principle, I suspect they will agree this type fo thing and then it will be a case of sorting out the detail e.g. is it a set amount for each player or half of whatever salary they are on or will the WRFU agree an amount for each plaer and will it be base don actual appearances for Wales or what etc etc. Let's hope they do it ASAP though before any others agree to go. I suspect Gethin's decision will put a rocket up people to get this all sorted sooner rather than later. it would be a great shame if Gethin would have stayed had the (ultimate) model been in place a few weeks back - but there you go. He'll be missed - great player and man.

hands in the ruck (IP Logged)
22 February, 2012 10:30
good player but not huge loss as over the past three years he hasn't really played for us.
south of france or wales that's a tough one, team mates Hayman, Botha, Van niekirk, giteau wilkinson fernandez lobbe ,plus double money can't see why he wants to leave.

Rich. (IP Logged)
22 February, 2012 10:35
I think he just wants to be near the Alps for the skiing. Not enough snow on Pen y Fan for our Gethin.

boggieboo (IP Logged)
22 February, 2012 11:32
He will be a huge loss but good luck to him. Some good news now I was reading an interview with Warburton saying he was disappointed with Gethin leaving but in that interview Sam also said that he had no desire to join the exodus and as long as he was in the Welsh squad he'd like to think he will stay in Wales.

Full article

[www.walesonline.co.uk]

Huwie (IP Logged)
22 February, 2012 12:51
Wales captain Sam Warburton disappointed by Gethin Jenkins' exit from Cardiff Blues

Wales captain Sam Warburton disappointed by Gethin Jenkins' exit from Cardiff Blues

WALES skipper Sam Warburton has revealed his disappointment over Blues team-mate Gethin Jenkins departure for France.

Its disappointing because Im a Blues player and you do want to keep all your best players, said the flanker.
If you asked me whos our most valuable player, particularly given the way hes been performing over the past two months, Id say Gethin.
Hes outstanding with what he offers around the pitch.
Its disappointing hes going to France. I never thought hed go.
While acknowledging the rich pickings on offer across the Channel, Warburton says he has no desire to join the exodus.
Players talk about it and the offers they have coming in are three, four or even five times what they are getting paid over here, he said.
So you have to think about it.
But for me I have two-and-a-half years left, so Im way off that.
It depends on the situation with the national squad. Someone like Aled Brew, who isnt in the squad now, has gone. And if hes not in the squad, then maybe a case can be made out for going.
But as long as Im in the Wales squad Id always like to think Id stay in Wales, but I guess time will tell.
Warburton is back on Welsh duty this weekend having sat out the victory over Scotland with the dead leg he picked up in the Six Nations opener against Ireland.....

Read More [www.walesonline.co.uk]

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
CAPTCHA
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net