rugbyunion
Latest News:

You can Tweet this forum topic straight to Twtitter by clicking this button.

One Idea to Fix Regional Rugby?
theArmsPark.co.uk (IP Logged)
24 April, 2012 17:42
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Re: One Idea to Fix Regional Rugby?
Beckenham Wasp (IP Logged)
24 April, 2012 18:56
Just get rid of the regions and revert to having 5 or 6 clubs. Create an genuinely competitive Celtic League and attract private investment. Why would go and watch a region that you have no loyalty to when your club is playing at the same time?

Look at the English Premiership, in second to last round of matches the grounds have been packed. The reason being that all the clubs have something to play for.

BlueButtyBoy (IP Logged)
24 April, 2012 20:50
Good post Andrew!

I am not going to repeat any of my posts in the other thread, however, you raise an important point.

Regions and clubs cannot survive without fans, no matter how much sponsorship and TV money is thrown at the problem. If the fans feel important, they will turn up and motivate the players to perform.

Every idea has its flaws and you rightly say that the WRU has the means to sort it all out. But where are the men with real leadership and vision today?

Caardiffian (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 09:41
I would suggest having one regional side. Play at the Millenium Stadium, call it, say, Wales, and there would be an attendance of 75000 for every game. This would be the equivalent of the four present sides getting a crowd of 18000 plus every time. Although given the ticket prices, the revenue would be about four times as much again.
We have been fed the idea from above for some time now that Wales is the only thing that matters, so why not go the whole hog.

25 April, 2012 13:32
Yes, I think a change in the hierarchy of things would be the best step, as in NZ, the club's rivalry still exists and a platform for more intense, pro12 and HC, stepping stone to international standard is available to keep team wales competitive. Perhaps an 8 team WP would be better though.

Bluestown (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 10:03
Competitive & Successful (on the field).

In my view these are the two keys for success (club overall).

Everything else is a projection of what we don't like and trying to change things to suit individuals.

Look at the stadium, a lot don't like but some do. If we had a HC semi-final there against Toulouse and really believed we could win, it'd sell out.

We have the players to be successful within Wales. We must aim to keep them, this is the priority.

Stop paying Salary & Welsh fee's. Central contracts or don't allow foreign players to play for Wales. Suddenly playing abroad is less of a financial bonus.

My view smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/04/2012 10:12 by Bluestown.

Neil (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 11:50
Best way to improve Regional rugby is to scrap it go with the only clubs in Wales thta can actually survive finacially. You know who they are.
Remove the idiotic 'team Wales' ethos. Even the captain is complaing about the way the teams are treated..
Let each club be what they should - independant - they are after all limtited companies that have a duty in law to protect their shaareholders...
Get the league & euro comps better organised. (That means Pro 12 & not AW)
Demand that Wales have an absolute maximum of days the can have ANY player in a year.
For us in Cardiff we have other problems to solve......

a long, long way to go..............

Pah!

Soldier: This is the worst part. The calm before the battle
Fry: And then the battle is not so bad?
Soldier: Oh, right. I forgot about the battle

Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot

BlueButtyBoy (IP Logged)
27 April, 2012 19:35
Neil,

So you would prefer a return to the club setup and the abolition of the regions.

What competitions would these clubs play in?

neilcardiff (IP Logged)
01 May, 2012 08:52
you have to look forward not back when the clubs were in existance at the forfront of welsh rugby the standard of rugby was not great. the crowds were poor as they are now. the reason the regions are failing my veiw is poor marketing. poor coaching. and poor decission making by the board especially the blues. for a start dia young being made coach disaster, moving to cc stadium disaster, promoting dum and dumber to head coaches disaster. letting quality player go both now and in the past disaster the list goes on you have to start at the top. get it right there and then work down

Neil (IP Logged)
01 May, 2012 15:36
Quote:
BlueButtyBoy
Neil,
So you would prefer a return to the club setup and the abolition of the regions.

What???
Just look at who the four teams are FFS They are and really always have been the most succesful clubs in Wales...
Just because you seem to have falling for believing that we have something like regions in Wales blind you to the facts that the whole thing is a mess. Stick with what can be succesful and not what some crazed Moffo thought might be good (even he realises what a monumental cock up it was, to let the pro game be decided by a couple of hundred village teams!!!)

BlueButtyBoy (IP Logged)
01 May, 2012 16:12
Quote:
Neil
Quote:
BlueButtyBoy
Neil,

What???
Just look at who the four teams are FFS They are and really always have been the most succesful clubs in Wales...
Just because you seem to have falling for believing that we have something like regions in Wales blind you to the facts that the whole thing is a mess. Stick with what can be succesful and not what some crazed Moffo thought might be good (even he realises what a monumental cock up it was, to let the pro game be decided by a couple of hundred village teams!!!)

Neil,

Simply put, you are a disgrace to this board!

Your foul mouthed and insulting response does not even answer the question I asked.

Avoiding you will be for the best...

Neil (IP Logged)
02 May, 2012 12:38
Quote:
BlueButtyBoy

Neil,

Simply put, you are a disgrace to this board!

Your foul mouthed and insulting response does not even answer the question I asked.

Avoiding you will be for the best...
Is that right?
The questions you raised have been answered so many times on this forum that I really don't need to repeat them
If you find me so awful then yes just ignore me eh! After all you don't want to know the facts - a common enough trait it seems
If you don't like my straight talking I can't help you...

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
CAPTCHA
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net