rugbyunion
Latest News:

Scarlets v Blues Teams
maudy (IP Logged)
30 December, 2016 13:07
Scarlets: Aled Thomas; Johnny Mcnicholl, Jonathan Davies, Scott Williams [c], Steff Evans, Rhys Patchell, Jonathan Evans; Wyn Jones, Ryan Elias, Samson lee, Jake Ball, Lewis Rawlins, Tadhg Beirne, Will Boyde, John Barclay

Replacements; Emyr Phillips, Rob Evans, Werner Kruger, Tom Price, Josh Macleod, Gareth Davies, Dan Jones, Hadleigh Parkes

Blues: Matthew Morgan; Alex Cuthbert, Rey Lee-Lo, Willis Halaholo, Rhun Williams; Steve Shingler, Lloyd Williams; Rhys Gill, Kristian Dacey, Taufa'ao Filise, Macauley Cook, James Down, Josh Navidi, Sam Warburton (C), Nick Williams

Replacements: Kirby Myhill, Brad Thyer, Scott Andrews, Jarrad Hoeata, Ellis Jenkins, Tomos Williams, Nicky Robinson, Cory Allen.

Referee: Nigel Owens (WRU)

Assistant referees: Craig Evans (WRU) Jon Hardy (WRU).

TMO: Paul Adams (WRU).

Re: Scarlets v Blues Teams
Yup (IP Logged)
01 January, 2017 23:37
Anyone else think we should have won that with a bit more composure???

Nickysbeard (IP Logged)
01 January, 2017 23:52
We are still about 4 players away from being a decent side . I think we need a tight head, lock , 9 and 15 of top quality. Hopefully lloyd can find some form or tomos can step up . Cook is wasted at lock . Dacey was the only decent carrier in the front five . I think Halaholo needs a couple of weeks break , once he and leelo click though they'll frighten the life out of defences. Oh and we need Nick Williams to stay fit .

Selgwent (IP Logged)
02 January, 2017 01:44
The kicking option failed almost as soon as it began, due to the wind, and then we failed to have an alternative option to open doors for our 'attack'.
Loose kicks by several players gave the ball away and led to one try.
The other saw more forward passes than a grid iron touchdown.
On tv, Pink Nige called several times for the TMO to review tackles, but didn't seem interested in checking two passes, one of which traveled about 3-4m forward.

southcoast5 (IP Logged)
02 January, 2017 15:52
Nick Williams was a massive loss in this game. Without him or some big locks we have no ball carriers and just drift side to side. Wasn't surprised at Filises substitution. He looked like he'd just got out of bed. Great servant but it's a big ask for someone of his age to lead the way.
2 defensive lapses in a tight game says it all. If Navidis pass hadn't been intercepted we'd have won.
We're not far off but unlikely to close the gap on the top 6. I see mixed messages about the club's ambition. On the one hand we talk about signing Halfpenny (and signed Williams) but on the other hand do very little about producing a competitive front 5 with any depth. Just a procession of journeymen or aged and injury prone stalwarts.

cardiffblues1 (IP Logged)
02 January, 2017 17:28
Well we have signed two locks for next season by all accounts. Van der Merwe and Welch and presume we are looking for a TH to replace Felise. I'm sure the coaching team are well aware of the shortfalls in the squad.
We have been hindered by a huge injury list too plus bans of course. Nick obviously but the last couple of games we have really missed Tom and Fish plus Anscombe obviously. If we lose to Glasgow we have probably kissed goodbye to Top 6 for this season but with a good recruitment and for Willis to get some rest ( he has played 35 games this season so far) and a fullback who can defend and kick goals we will be in a better place.

capsgon (IP Logged)
02 January, 2017 19:42
Quote:
Selgwent
The kicking option failed almost as soon as it began, due to the wind, and then we failed to have an alternative option to open doors for our 'attack'.
Loose kicks by several players gave the ball away and led to one try.
The other saw more forward passes than a grid iron touchdown.
On tv, Pink Nige called several times for the TMO to review tackles, but didn't seem interested in checking two passes, one of which traveled about 3-4m forward.

"Pink Nige"?

Ben Blair's Right Peg (IP Logged)
02 January, 2017 21:13
We have finally sorted our structured defence. We defended brilliantly during phase play, our problem and it has been for years is we kick the ball away and fail to defend in broken play.
If fish play he should kick high and chase whilst people drop back to cover.
Morgan should just return the ball targeting holes around front five, he shouldn't bother high kicks.

Massive positive that our defence in structures is so sound, warburton is so valuable to us you have to have a 7 of quality in the Pro12. Glasgow are one of the hardest teams to defend so next week is a big challenge.

Filise cost us 4 try scoring chances in the first half and missed tackles. He is an absolute Cardiff legend but it's time to wind him down now.

Cook was very good again as was Down, both have been playing well together and our lineout is so consistent with them, for some reason we forgot how to maul which cost some tries.

I think we had 8 major line breaks and only converted once. We're nearly there...

Genuinely with some more composure we could've had a bonus point win. I noted in a interview Wilson said that this season the main priority has been sorting the defence and set piece. We now have a competent defence and consistent set piece, that shows to me that the team has changed culturally for the better.

The attack will come, Lee-lo and Willis are too similiar to play together, variation is key in the centres.

If Dacey and Navidi don't get Wales call ups it's a joke.

When Anscombe and Williams are back I see us winning a lot more towards the end of the season, we need to keep in touch of sixth.

Keep believing!!

southcoast5 (IP Logged)
03 January, 2017 10:17
Quote:
cardiffblues1
Well we have signed two locks for next season by all accounts. Van der Merwe and Welch and presume we are looking for a TH to replace Felise. I'm sure the coaching team are well aware of the shortfalls in the squad.
We have been hindered by a huge injury list too plus bans of course. Nick obviously but the last couple of games we have really missed Tom and Fish plus Anscombe obviously. If we lose to Glasgow we have probably kissed goodbye to Top 6 for this season but with a good recruitment and for Willis to get some rest ( he has played 35 games this season so far) and a fullback who can defend and kick goals we will be in a better place.

Damian Welch and Van dear Merwe will be an improvement over our current journeymen locks but Welch is 34 and Van dear Merwe is 33 and neither threatens the starting line up at their current clubs. At their age and with the game we want to play on the Arms Park surface expect a litany of low level injuries from them. I understand that they may only be holding the line until Seb Davies and other younger guns kick on But I don't think they're the answer.

Rayerker (IP Logged)
03 January, 2017 13:12
On paper the team looks strong individually. The problem is that teams need balance and without nickwilliams we lack a principle carrier. Dacey, fau and navidi are very good second up carriers but can't be expected to carry so much first up ball. A big second row who can offer that option is critical to us as is a second choice eight who likes to take it up.
Anscombe, James and fish were also massive losses as we looked clueless in broken play and they are our best players in this area. You'd think it'd be Morgan for example but it's as much about picking the right time to beat your man or pass to a support runner as it is about having the ability. I'd be picking Morgan on the wing with Rhyn at fullback if that had been my back three available. Watch the scarlets second try again and Morgan is all at sea defensively.

Your Name: 
Subject: 
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Cardiff Blues Poll

Where will Cardiff Blues finish in the Pro 12 League Season 2016-2017?

See results > Submit >>