rugbyunion
Latest News:

Well, we're @#$%& again
theflier (IP Logged)
04 March, 2017 22:24
I for one enjoyed our brief rein at the top and look forward to an imminent return. What is clear is our pack just ain't good enough, I hope wilson can whip it back into shape next year, you never know, we might be in Champions cup rugby.
Still have faith, but we're really missing a stable fb without fish and scully and the obvious up front which fingers crossed have been saved next season.

The first XV is good enough for the pro 12, but behind it is woeful in parts

Re: Well, we're @#$%& again
nickj (IP Logged)
05 March, 2017 09:54
With everyone fit and available we'd probably be challenging for the top 6 - unlikely for top 4. Without them, well we just don't have the 23 every week that are needed to get up there.
Hopefully stronger squad next year, and hopefully better luck with injuries. A bit emotionally draining at the moment though!
Out of interest does anybody know when people are likely to return? Will we see Gethin or Fish again this season? Presumably not Turnball? And presumably Ellis, Rey, Gill, ? Thyer could be expected to be available again when things start again end of March - is there any news? Cheers

Invader (IP Logged)
05 March, 2017 11:19
Pathetic. I had faith in Wilson but I guess not even he can Polish Turds!

Louis Bkue (IP Logged)
05 March, 2017 15:44
I've always been a fan but in recent years from my armchair. I was contemplating travelling down with my son for a few games but with the results of late I'd rather not bother, I reckon something's not right as game after game we lose in the final quarter.

Ahp (IP Logged)
05 March, 2017 16:54
Relative to how much he was hyped and how much he's played, Hoeata must be the worst SH signing by a Welsh region ever. He has my sympathies if he's injured but really he shouldn't be playing if he is, and if he isn't then he's not good enough for the team.

Rayerker (IP Logged)
05 March, 2017 17:27
What is pleasing is that the effort is still high however we are showing so little in attack and we've lost two games at home now due to not being able to score when we have the wind. You after to wonder at our halfbacks control of the game.

But the biggest issue in the pro twelve is having the type of players needed to fit in with the way the league is refereed. You must have four or five forwards (or four and a centre) who can carry heavily around the edges of the breakdown because teams get away with flopping in the breakdown consistently as well as flying up off side in midfield which means that unless you can effectively truck it up you have no chance of moving ball wide without getting smashed.
Cardiff as a result go through phase after phase without making ground and once we get in the twenty two - usually following a broken field break - we generally fail to score. We made multiple line breaks at home to Connacht for example without finishing chances off once the broken defense got set and yet Connacht (and yesterday Munster) beat us because they could wear us down when they were in scoring areas.
We have no carrying replacement for Nick Williams, no prop who carries apart from Fau who is being phased out. No carrying second row and no flanker in the Irish mould. That means that our outside backs are vital in our creativity and injuries to fish and James have hit us hard. Hollahola looks knackered and cory Allen has been poor.
Danny has a lot of work to do.

southcoast5 (IP Logged)
05 March, 2017 19:11
Quote:
Rayerker
What is pleasing is that the effort is still high however we are showing so little in attack and we've lost two games at home now due to not being able to score when we have the wind. You after to wonder at our halfbacks control of the game.
But the biggest issue in the pro twelve is having the type of players needed to fit in with the way the league is refereed. You must have four or five forwards (or four and a centre) who can carry heavily around the edges of the breakdown because teams get away with flopping in the breakdown consistently as well as flying up off side in midfield which means that unless you can effectively truck it up you have no chance of moving ball wide without getting smashed.
Cardiff as a result go through phase after phase without making ground and once we get in the twenty two - usually following a broken field break - we generally fail to score. We made multiple line breaks at home to Connacht for example without finishing chances off once the broken defense got set and yet Connacht (and yesterday Munster) beat us because they could wear us down when they were in scoring areas.
We have no carrying replacement for Nick Williams, no prop who carries apart from Fau who is being phased out. No carrying second row and no flanker in the Irish mould. That means that our outside backs are vital in our creativity and injuries to fish and James have hit us hard. Hollahola looks knackered and cory Allen has been poor.

Absolutely spot on. It's the same with Wales. The way the breakdown is now refereed means that big ball carrying forwards are now at a premium and we just don't have them. It was evident in all the regional games at the weekend and in Wales' games to date and I fear it'll be the case next Friday. The Irish seem to churn out a steady stream of big burly ball carrying forwards and it's what's propelled their game forward over the last 12 months. I doubt it's in the genes but it's where we currently find ourselves. Unless we can fix it we ain't going anywhere.

Bluenblack53 (IP Logged)
06 March, 2017 12:59
Quote:
Rayerker
Cardiff as a result go through phase after phase without making ground and once we get in the twenty two - usually following a broken field break - we generally fail to score. We made multiple line breaks at home to Connacht for texample without finishing chances off once the broken defense got set and yet Connacht (and yesterday Munster) beat us because they could wear us down when they were in scoring areas.
Couldnt agree more,excellent post. We need some raw boned bruising forwards to carry and control at half back. Easier said than done . The effort is there and I can't criticise the players for not putting their bodies on the line ,well with one exception

Bluenblack53 (IP Logged)
06 March, 2017 13:40
Also agree with south coast. Twenty or so years ago when my sons were playing for vale of Glamorgan under 11s and Barry age group teams they had matches against Irish schools and teams in Ireland and here. It was noticeable that the Irish boys were bigger and more forceful in the forwards . Going back to the mid 60s in my memory and probably from beginning of rugby in Ireland ,from what I have read ,they have played a loose unstructured game with the back row forwards in particular being combative and aggressive. The way the game has gone in recent years has suited such type of players as well as their judicial import Stander.
I think there is a genetic influence as Irish males seem taller on average than the Welsh, belying the leprechaun stereotype . Probably there is an environmental influence also in Irish schoolboy rugby with rumbustious types being favoured in selection and the background influence of the GAA sports. Whatever it is the Irish have an abundance of excellent forwards particularly in the back row but what they have developed in last 10 years or so is also a steady flow of skilful speedy backs coming off their production line.
They have a larger rugby playing population than us and they seem to be coached to cheat at the breakdown but they are clearly better than us at bringing through players than we have been in last few years.

Your Name: 
Subject: 
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Cardiff Blues Poll

Where will Cardiff Blues finish in the Pro 12 League Season 2016-2017?

See results > Submit >>