rugbyunion
Latest News:

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Gloucester.
Ben Blair's Right Peg (IP Logged)
28 March, 2017 22:15
Biggest game of the season. What's the best team we can play?

Re: Gloucester.
sionlikesmusic (IP Logged)
29 March, 2017 11:26
Given how well the team went against Leinster, I'd be tempted to stick with a similar starting XV. Maybe swap out Hoeata for Cook in the second row and bring in Ellis in his place? I'd bring Gethin in for Domachowski too.

Blaine and Cuthy on the wings, I don't think TJ's quite there yet if last week's anything to go by (TJ of earlier this season would have gone through or over Nacewa to score that).

Rest of the team I'd largely keep the same. Just need to hope that AP's back has recovered. Having Shingler at 12 worked really well for our counter attack against Leinster, I thought, and it suits our game to have two distributors in the backline. Willis to come on for the last 20 could do some damage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/03/2017 09:49 by sionlikesmusic.

Rayerker (IP Logged)
29 March, 2017 21:01
I'd pick;

Shingler - Morgan's defense lets him down and he made some poor decisions in attack last week.
Cuthbert
Hollahola
Ray Lee Lo.
Scully. Love Tom but he's not quite there since his op.
Anscombe.
Tom Williams
Gethyn
Dacey
Filise - carrys. We try lots of tight heads but someone has to carry.
Hoeata
Earls
Navidi
Nick Williams
Warburton

Exiledblue (IP Logged)
30 March, 2017 09:14
My 23 would be:

Jenkins
Dacey
Anton
Earl
Down
Warburton
Navidi
Williams

T. Williams
Anscombe
James
Shingler
Lee-Lo
Cuthbert
Scully

Myhill
Corey
Andrews
Hoeata
Bennett
L. Williams
Halaholo
Morgan

sionlikesmusic (IP Logged)
30 March, 2017 12:17
Out of interest, are folks heading up for the game planning on heading anywhere before the game? Or does anyone know any good pubs near Kingsholm for a pre-match pint or three?

Dare2bBlue (IP Logged)
31 March, 2017 08:41
The Kingsholm Pub apposite the ground is the usual pre/post match haunt.

Dare 2B Different - Dare2bBlue

binman (IP Logged)
31 March, 2017 11:45
Does anybody know the situation with parking at or near the ground? Never done Kingsholm before.

Dare2bBlue (IP Logged)
31 March, 2017 13:49
Not much parking around ground, I've always parked towards the city and walked up. Around 10 minutes from centre of Gloucester to ground, depending on your walking speed.

Dare 2B Different - Dare2bBlue

southcoast5 (IP Logged)
01 April, 2017 22:09
After very good first 50 mins we fell apart. 26 unanswered points. Lost our physicality, started making errors and midfield defence opened up too easily. Made journeymen opposition look world class. Why do we seem to recruit the only SH centres who can't tackle ? Rabbits in headlights when in our 22 as was Shingler. Anscombe fallen away since early months of season.
Feel sorry for our young props who'll no doubt get some stick from those who dont really know what it's like in the Boilerhouse.

Kevin the Goblin (IP Logged)
01 April, 2017 22:50
6 tries to 2 says it all.

binman (IP Logged)
02 April, 2017 00:38
The boys played their hearts out but our lack of depth really shone as the game wore on. Glouscester were able to bring on tight 5 forwards like Afoa and Galarza and we were looking to players nowhere near that quality for the same impact.

We need a bigger cheque book to compete with the English sides, and the French and irish for that matter.

Mr Realistic (IP Logged)
02 April, 2017 08:41
Glos fan in peace. Was surprised all game by Cardiff decisions to not go for the posts and build the score in the 1st half or narrow the deficit in the 2nd. Should have been much further ahead at half time after dominating possession. Plenty of good running rugby from both sides and good banter with the Cardiff fans.

neilcardiff (IP Logged)
02 April, 2017 09:19
what showed up was th lack of quality players we have especially running such a small core squad. the youngsters that came on struggled especially the props . the front rwo is a different position you can put youngsters in against seasoned internationals they will allways struggle. have to bring them in slowly and yesterday was not a game for that . shame as the blues were in it till the last 20. im a fan of mathew morgan but after yesterday when is dan fish back as we have missed fish

cardiff_steve (IP Logged)
02 April, 2017 12:15
4 league games left now, play off place basically secured.

Need to use those games to start Rhun Williams, Jarrad Evans, Assiratti, Domachowski....

martynWilliams no1fan (IP Logged)
02 April, 2017 17:49
We need a new Defence coach, last and this season we are conceding to many tries and teams are scoring too easily, in midfield and close to rucks and mauls.

capsgon (IP Logged)
02 April, 2017 18:36
Great atmosphere - just what rugby games should be like.
Decent first half but Glos stepped it up in second half and we couldn't compete with physicality.
Baby prop replacements showed our lack of strength.
Game turned with Morgan's dumb half arsed kick and his subsequent brain farts .
Thought it was very telling that Danny then took him off.
Liability again - Enough is enough surely?

Rayerker (IP Logged)
02 April, 2017 22:56
What is there to say? We are such a frustrating team at times.

Morgan cost us the game quite simply. When we playing well and should have been building a lead his defense was awful and they targeted him constantly. The attempt to tackle moriaty was cowardly and he wasn't much better with the cross kick. Add Shingler hopeless tackle and we had shipped three tries when we were dominating. Glaws were always going to have a strong spell and when they did we had no lead to defend due to what I've already mentioned. The capitulation from there was quite abject.

Much as been said about the props highlighting a lack of depth but I'd say they highlight the opposite. They are probably fourth of fifth choice in their position if everyone was fit. Not many teams would have players of that quality that far down the pecking order.

Blues101 (IP Logged)
03 April, 2017 08:13
Anscombe is running out of chances surely, let patchel go to keep him. Can you remember a single game which he controlled?

southcoast5 (IP Logged)
03 April, 2017 09:35
Quote:
Blues101
Anscombe is running out of chances surely, let patchel go to keep him. Can you remember a single game which he controlled?

I agree he's not recovered form since injury but Barry John would struggle in a team performing with the weaknesses this one possesses.

03 April, 2017 13:23
I understand why people want to be patient with Matthew Morgan, but Im inclined to agree that enough is enough.

He's been offered far more opportunities to prove himself than the majority of players. Other players deserve these chances now.

SuffrinTheBlues (IP Logged)
04 April, 2017 09:32
That's the season done imo. From next game on we need to focus on giving our young, welsh players the opportunity to play. Players like Jarrod Evans, Garyn Smith, Aled Summerhill, our young props (owing to injuries) and rhun Williams. I'm not saying chuck them all in the team but I would like to see them in the squad.

Assiratti and domachowski should be on the bench (at least) every week from now on, allowing them to get at least 30 minutes game time (not sure the status of Dillon lewis and brad thyer, I think they're injured?). With Gethin's injury record (and just coming back from the bicep issue), it seems silly to play him in every game. Have him share starting duties with Gill. It's just a shame Dillon lewis has been crocked this season, let's hope we can get him back fit next season and he push on as we're struggling for tight head options.

capsgon (IP Logged)
04 April, 2017 20:46
Apparently our season isn't over at all - Gethin has said so on the Cardiff Blues website, so it must be true

Invader (IP Logged)
04 April, 2017 21:55
Quote:
Blues101

Same could be said for Patch

Invader (IP Logged)
04 April, 2017 22:00
Nipper needs to move on. Just not up to standard.

Thomas needs to get his chequebook out sharpish or we'll soon become like the Italian sides, only there to make up the numbers and become whipping boys.

Pack is completely underpowered. To rely on Filise & Melon is just crazy. Need a better 2nd row and back up.

I can't see any positive impact Steadman has had since arriving.

SuffrinTheBlues (IP Logged)
05 April, 2017 12:58
to be fair, we have signed two second rows for next season.

southcoast5 (IP Logged)
05 April, 2017 17:00
Quote:
SuffrinTheBlues
to be fair, we have signed two second rows for next season.

With a combined age of 70 and a chequered injury record. Neither are pulling up trees at their current clubs.

nickj (IP Logged)
05 April, 2017 18:33
[www.youtube.com] anyone know if he'll be back at all this season?

capsgon (IP Logged)
05 April, 2017 19:18
Maybe back in time for the Lions?

Blues101 (IP Logged)
06 April, 2017 10:02
Im sorry but the Blues only look like scoring points from broken play, and Morgan is quite clearly the best open play player at the blues, and one of the best in the league.

Lets not get carried away saying he needs to move when hes bound to be on a much smaller contract than utter tripe like Nick Williams (whos clearly only here for a nice retirement package), or hoeata?

06 April, 2017 12:17
Quote:
Blues101
Im sorry but the Blues only look like scoring points from broken play, and Morgan is quite clearly the best open play player at the blues, and one of the best in the league.
Lets not get carried away saying he needs to move when hes bound to be on a much smaller contract than utter tripe like Nick Williams (whos clearly only here for a nice retirement package), or hoeata?

Aside from the half break and offload vs Munster in early season, when has Morgan ever done anything particularly impressive against a decent team? His Hollywood moments come against weak teams.

He's a flattrack bully.

Plus, fullbacks that cant or wont tackle are a bit of a problem.

And please dont tell me its an overreaction to one game. He's done (or not done) it throughout his career. We've given him the latest of many, many chances.

Rhun Williams and Summerhill should now get these chances.

Best thing we can do for Morgan is to loan him to a kiwi Mitre10 cup team. Let him get out of wales, have a different life experience and make him prove himself where people will be a lot less forgiving of his frequent @#$%& ups.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Subject: 
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net