rugbyunion
Latest News:

SA Teams
bluesudger (IP Logged)
12 July, 2017 18:57
Just peoples thoughts on the possibility of two SA teams joining the Pro12.

I'm fairly positive about it but would like a 14 team league rather than two conferences that have been mentioned in the press.

Re: SA Teams
binman (IP Logged)
13 July, 2017 13:27
If it up the profile of the league and tv revenue then I'm all for it.

I would like to see the 2 Italian sides dropped though, from what I understand they add very little financially and the games aren't well attended

I believe a 14 team league isn't doable due to international windows. I'm not keen on a conference system which is why I'm in favour of replacing the Italians with SA teams.

southcoast5 (IP Logged)
13 July, 2017 14:31
I'm a little concerned that what turns up may sound interesting but in reality will be second rate. In the first place any quality SA players currently in these franchises will be hoovered up by the franchises remaining in the Super12. Furthermore those SA players wishing to play in the NH will be much better off signing directly for a club or region(even if only in a walk on role) to benefit from the £vRand exchange rate. Remember the players in these franchises will be paid in rand primarily from income generated in rand in SA.

It'll appeal to SA journeymen and those youngsters who've missed out on the Boks academy streams and want to ply their trade in a European shop window.

There's a danger that this will reinforce the view that the Pro12 is a second tier competition.

cardiff_steve (IP Logged)
13 July, 2017 18:36
There are a lot of possible permutations to all this...

First of all, I think it's pretty clear that if ANYONE with a tv deal tries to enter Pro12 they'll be welcomed. If Syria started a team and could promise tv £s, they'd be in. The argument for letting in SA teams begins and ends there. "Got the £s? Yes? Welcome!"

On the quality of the Cheetahs and Kings.... their current teams are actually pretty decent. They arent champion sides but they have good players. They compare well with the current standard of Pro12 anyway.

Will those sides stay intact? Well, people are saying that the Pro12 deal leaves them at least as well off as when in Super rugby. So if thats the case Im sure they'll remain strong.

The potential big news is that ALL the South African sides may move north to play in pro12. It would make a lot of sense in many ways and its been floated a sa possible outcome many times before.

Now, if that happened it really is a gamechanger. It transforms the competition and hopefully all our finances.

sionlikesmusic (IP Logged)
18 July, 2017 09:21
Does anyone know if anything's been announced about whether or how the SA teams' inclusion would factor into European cup qualification?

Selgwent (IP Logged)
18 July, 2017 22:36
I've already paid for a season ticket on the basis of a Pro 12 season with eleven home fixtures.

If the Pro14 splits into two conferences of 7, that's 6 home games, plus either 3 or 4 homes against the other conference teams.

ie possibly 10 home games.

Anyone know if I can take out a PPI claim for mis-selling????

Jazz and Blues (IP Logged)
19 July, 2017 12:46
does look like the fans are being short changed again !

maybe we will all get free winter international tickets/or six nation tickets to make up for it.

Season Tickets were advertised as pro 12 ....not pro 9 or 10......

lets wait and see (Dream on!)

sionlikesmusic (IP Logged)
19 July, 2017 14:45
Quote:
Jazz and Blues
does look like the fans are being short changed again !
maybe we will all get free winter international tickets/or six nation tickets to make up for it.

Season Tickets were advertised as pro 12 ....not pro 9 or 10......

lets wait and see (Dream on!)
In what way are fans being shortchanged?

Dare2bBlue (IP Logged)
19 July, 2017 16:16
Uh!
We were sold season tickets under the impression that we will have 11 home league games all European home pool games home Anglo Welsh fixtures all b&I home games and Cardiff RFC home games!
Now there's only 6 league home games.
We're being short changed by 5 home league games aren't we?

Dare 2B Different - Dare2bBlue

cardiff_steve (IP Logged)
19 July, 2017 16:44
Quote:
Dare2bBlue
Uh!
We were sold season tickets under the impression that we will have 11 home league games all European home pool games home Anglo Welsh fixtures all b&I home games and Cardiff RFC home games!

The system is rumoured to be....

Play everyone in your conference twice.
Play everyone in the other conference once.
Play 2 extra games against the two welsh sides in the other conference.

Which gives us 21 regular "league" games. So either 10 or 11 home games.

Selgwent (IP Logged)
19 July, 2017 21:57
Quote:
cardiff_steve
Quote:
Dare2bBlue
Uh!

The system is rumoured to be....

Play everyone in your conference twice.
Play everyone in the other conference once.
Play 2 extra games against the two welsh sides in the other conference.

Which gives us 21 regular "league" games. So either 10 or 11 home games.

Just a few weeks to put things in place.
Still only rumours.
And, IF, the rumoured two extra derby games go ahead, they are unlikely to count as league matches (because, apart from us and the Irish, there are only two, not six derbies in a season). So will we see the best teams take the field? Especially with the centrally contracted player scenario.

bluesmudger (IP Logged)
19 July, 2017 22:02
Due to the timescales it should be a 14 team league with no play-offs - if the Yanks and Canadians come on board the following season conferences can be considered but there will be plenty of time to work that out.

Top 7 into the Champions Cup, the rest into the Challenge Cup.

Dare2bBlue (IP Logged)
19 July, 2017 22:56
14 team league with no playoffs sounds good, that way the team who actually finishes top of the league wins it. How bizarre!
All this talk of derby games still being played and not counting in ludicrous, they will mean nothing.
If we want to win the league we need to finish top, end of.

Dare 2B Different - Dare2bBlue

Ahp (IP Logged)
20 July, 2017 09:23
The extra derby games will not be friendlies. They will be full league games against teams in the other conference. The two team nations will not have another team from the country in their conference, so their extra two derbies mean they will play three derbies instead of 1.

Your Name: 
Subject: 
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Cardiff Blues Poll

Where will Cardiff Blues finish in the Pro 12 League Season 2016-2017?

See results > Submit >>