rugbyunion
Latest News:

Squad Updates
robin58 (IP Logged)
21 July, 2017 13:37
The new season is coming fast when are the squad pages for Cardiff Blues and the Academy playes going to be up dated anychanve before the season starts

Re: Squad Updates
bluesmudger (IP Logged)
23 July, 2017 17:55
Is this correct?

Squad for 2017/18

Prop: Gill, Jenkins, The Georgian, Andrews, Lewis, Thyer, Domachowski (A), Assirratti (A)
Hooker: Dacey, Myhill, Lewis, Belcher (A)
2nd row: Earle, Der Merwe, Welch, Down, S Davies (A)
Flanker: Warburton, Jenkins, Turnbull, Cook, Sheekey, Sion Bennett (?)
Eight: N Williams, Navidi, Dolan
Scrum half: L Williams, T Williams, Jones, Cowley (?)
Outside half: Anscombe, Shingler, Evans
Centre: Lee-Lo, Halaholo, Roberts, Smith, Millard (A)
Wing: James, Scully, Cuthbert, Summerhill, Lane (A)
Full back: Fish, Morgan, R Williams (A)

(A) Academy players

robin58 (IP Logged)
24 July, 2017 07:51
No Cowley and Dolan released Belcher left Sion Bennet has a contract Nicky Robinson ???Williams

Academy players anyones guess

bluesmudger (IP Logged)
24 July, 2017 22:47
Squad for 2017/18

Prop: Gill, Jenkins, The Georgian, Andrews, Lewis, Thyer, Domachowski, Assirratti
Hooker: Dacey, Myhill, Lewis
2nd row: Earle, Der Merwe, Welch, Down, S Davies
Flanker: Warburton, Jenkins, Turnbull, Cook, Sheekey, Sion Bennett
Eight: N Williams, Navidi
Scrum half: L Williams, T Williams, Jones
Outside half: Anscombe, Shingler, Evans
Centre: Lee-Lo, Halaholo, Roberts, Smith, Millard
Wing: James, Scully, Cuthbert, Summerhill, Lane
Full back: Fish, Morgan, R Williams

Anfarwol (IP Logged)
25 July, 2017 08:33
According to Cardiff RFC site, Sheekey has dropped down to be full time with them. Presumably still available to us but perhaps reflects his need for game time to fulfill his decent potential and to bolster club side's chances

bluesmudger (IP Logged)
25 July, 2017 09:48
Any news on anymore coming in?

We look a little short at eight - assume Williams/Navidi will be in very 23 if fit - who is backing these guys up?

Ahp (IP Logged)
25 July, 2017 15:12
Turnbull and Warburton can play at 8 in a pinch. Neither are naturals though, neither is Navidi for that matter. Could definitely use another.

cardiff_steve (IP Logged)
25 July, 2017 16:46
It's worth pointing out the turks won pro12 without a real out and out number 8. They're actually pretty rare in Wales, hence Navidi playing there vs Samoa and Tonga.

There again, if we're going to have a side used to having a big carrier at 8 we could really use cover for Big Nick.

If we can afford one, of course.

bluesmudger (IP Logged)
25 July, 2017 17:31
Too be fair, I think Navidi plays his best rugby at 8.

With the planned development at the CAP and Uncle Peter saying we are struggling regards funding, I can't see us signing anyone else.

My worry is more about next season and the season after that, will Wilson be given enough funds for us to be competitive or will we be relying on guys coming through?

Anfarwol (IP Logged)
25 July, 2017 21:47
Growing our own has to be the focus here on in with a reasonable prospect of a modest "marquee signing" investment budget in maybe 2-3yrs.

Uncle Peter has been exceptionally generous over many years (albeit one could argue he's exerted too much influence over our signings, unintentionally depowering every coach we've ever had to different degrees from Alex to Danny) but he now wants to step away and enjoy retirement now.

He genuinely wants the redevelopment of CAP to be his lasting legacy to the region/club he loves. Yes the cynics will say he just wants to cash in but it's genuinely not that. Yes, he wants his investment/loans back and that's only fair, we all would given the millions involved.

For him it's about putting us back on an even financial keel by creating a world class asset of new stadium plus conference centre plus hotel/retail/leisure that will self-generate sufficient income (a la Wasps), together with ProXX income, to reward our predominantly home grown stars, and pay for a small number of non-Welsh talent where they will make a difference to the overall balance of the squad and the development of our younger players, as per Xavier etc. The current business model is unsustainable as it relies on Peter being immortal/finding a magic lamp or an equally generous/bonkers benefactor stepping into his shoes which just ain't gonna happen. Yes he'll no doubt make a few bob privately on top of his loan repayments but again, he deserves it. Plus I've never known him fail with a development like this, so have every confidence that as long as CAC are engaged and happy, and that Cardiff Council, our WRU neighbours and Ken Skates provide meaningful and timely backing, it will be the success we need it to be.

I'd be happy with that future scenario.

bluesmudger (IP Logged)
26 July, 2017 00:01
Has there been any progress on the lease? Its gone very quiet after the press articles earlier on in the summer.

theflier (IP Logged)
31 July, 2017 14:51
Apparently one of our new locks(Van der merwe) has had to be sold given our finances, not good at all.

Jazzandblues (IP Logged)
01 August, 2017 09:17
Just been told lee lo going too .....looks like fire sale what did i pay my season ticket for ....time to rethink.

BluesMikel (IP Logged)
01 August, 2017 10:51
I'd heard that Lee Lo was given a few extra weeks off and isn't back in pre season yet

binman (IP Logged)
01 August, 2017 10:55
Quote:
BluesMikel
I'd heard that Lee Lo was given a few extra weeks off and isn't back in pre season yet

Rumours are he's being shopped to Connacht

Also a couple sources reporting were shopping Nick Williams and Cuthbert around England

I really hope these are just scare tactics to get negotiations with the lease going again.

If we start a fire sale I really think it is the beginning of the end for the club

01 August, 2017 12:17
Lee-Lo was always going to get extra time off because he was playing for Samoa until a couple of weeks ago.

Simon Thomas says the Lee-Lo to Connacht thing is incorrect.

The account that has the Lee-Lo to Connacht thing also had Hoeata staying here, and a bunch of other "insider" transfer scoops that didnt happen.

robin58 (IP Logged)
05 August, 2017 17:43
Still no squad updates why or what are they hidding How can ST be sold when we do not even know what our squad is ?

bluesmudger (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 09:18
As per website....

Squad for 2017/18

Prop: Andrews, Filise, Gill, Jenkins, Lewis, The Georgian, Thyer, Assirratti(A), Carre(A), Domachowski(A)
Hooker: Dacey, Lewis, Myhill, Rees
2nd row: Cook, Down, Earle, Welch, S Davies(A), Lewis-Hughes(A)
Flanker: Bennett, Jenkins, Turnbull, Warburton, Botham(A)
Eight: Navidi, N Williams
Scrum half: Jones, L Williams, T Williams
Outside half: Anscombe, Evans, Shingler, B Jones(A)
Centre: Halaholo, Lee-Lo, Roberts, Smith, Millard(A)
Wing: Cuthbert, James, Scully, Summerhill, Lane(A)
Full back: Fish, Morgan, R Williams(A)

Core squad of 37 and 10 Academy/Transition players

Starting XV (when all fit): Jenkins, Dacey, Filise, Earle, Welch, Turnbull, Warburton, N Wiliams, L Williams, Anscombe, Roberts, Lee-Lo, James, Cuthbert, Fish

newsilure (IP Logged)
13 August, 2017 14:43
I think we need to learn from who was playing well at the end of last season and from the Welsh Summer tour and adopt a policy of getting our young players serious amounts of experience.

My starting XV - Jenkins, Dacey, Dillon Lewis, Earle, Seb Davies, Navidi, Warburton, N Williams, Tomos Williams, Anscombe, Halaholo, Lee-Lo, James, Cuthbert, Rhun Williams

Bench - Gill, Lewis, Filise, Cook, Turnbull, L Williams, K Morgan, Roberts or Shingler

BluesMikel (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 10:15
Quote:
newsilure
I think we need to learn from who was playing well at the end of last season and from the Welsh Summer tour and adopt a policy of getting our young players serious amounts of experience.
My starting XV - Jenkins, Dacey, Dillon Lewis, Earle, Seb Davies, Navidi, Warburton, N Williams, Tomos Williams, Anscombe, Halaholo, Lee-Lo, James, Cuthbert, Rhun Williams

Bench - Gill, Lewis, Filise, Cook, Turnbull, L Williams, K Morgan, Roberts or Shingler

K Morgan? I'm guessing you meant M Morgan?

theflier (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 17:46
Quote:
BluesMikel
Quote:
newsilure

K Morgan? I'm guessing you meant M Morgan?
With fish an rhun back I hope MM has seen his last in a blues jersey

newsilure (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 23:00
Sure did smiling smiley

Huwie79 (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 14:24
Hate to say it but the blues are doomed 40yr old given new deal as has M.Rees no real quality be players ,the only team we will beat will the Italian team & that will be the home game ,I am sorry but the region is a joke for a capital team & run poorly hope I'm wrong

bluesmudger (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 17:29
I actually thought Filise had one of his best seasons last year!

sionlikesmusic (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 11:29
Quote:
bluesmudger
I actually thought Filise had one of his best seasons last year!

Same goes for Matthew Rees, he seemed to make more of a positive impact coming on than I was expecting - if we hadn't had him last season, there would have been games where our scrum would have been annihilated (more so than it already was).

17 August, 2017 15:35
So we just miss out on top 6 after an injury crisis and some narrow games that didnt go our way.

Then we improve the squad, with younger players now a year older and two new homegrown welsh international forwards coming through.

And the logical result is we are set to only win one game all season, yes?

Cheer up for @#$%&'s sake.

Your Name: 
Subject: 
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net