rugbyunion
Latest News:

You can Tweet this forum topic straight to Twtitter by clicking this button.

Wales Dominate Italy
theArmsPark.co.uk (IP Logged)
24 February, 2008 14:45
Wales Dominate Italy

Re: Wales Dominate Italy
jenksta (IP Logged)
24 February, 2008 16:15
Great article Andy. Disagree about Peel though. He controlled the game alot better than Phillips would have in that first half. Wales benefited massively from this when Peel had to go off with his injury.

With regards to Phillips, the try he blew through pure greediness was one of the biggest mistakes i have ever seen at any level of rugby. As it happened it didn't matter as Wales won comfortably but on another day that could have cost Wales the game.

lost in bridgend (IP Logged)
24 February, 2008 18:58
I thought Peel looked rusty, and marginally off the pace.Mike Phillips is Mike Phillips what you see is what you get.I think he is perfect when the opposition is tiring.

WISH I STILL LIVED IN CARDIFF

TaffSpick (IP Logged)
24 February, 2008 19:06
Phillips' greediness was typical of him and although he backed himself to get to the corner he just didn't have the pace.

However, I think LiB is right - I was watching the first half and thinking that Peel just looked off the pace. His passing was also the worst I have ever seen from him. At least a couple of his passes hit the floor before reaching Stephen Jones (who I think had a fine game), he was unusually slow getting ball away and his timing was generally below par, with passes often slightly behind the receiver.

Phillips' performance eclipsed that of Peel but that moment of white line fever may cost him when the coaching team look at the videos - you could see that they were livid with Phillips at the time.

jenksta (IP Logged)
24 February, 2008 21:03
It was one of the worst things i have seen in professional rugby. He had two men inside, two men outside, one man to beat after he had been put in the gap by someone else taking a hit. It wasn't even as if he had created it.

Peels passing was poor at times i agree and he certainly wasn't on top form, but he and Jones controlled the first half really well. That first half tired the Italians massively and was the reason we were running through them at will in the second. He is at least a level above Phillips.

Phillips came on, his distribution wasn't much better, (it improved as a whole mainly because Phillips was stuck in rucks and MW etc were doing the passing!) He made one or two breaks but didn't offer much else. Its very easy (relatively - I'm sure us lot wouldn't have found it easy grinning smiley ) coming on and against a tired team who almost immediately went down to 14 men! Well thats my take on it anyway.

For what its worth i also said you couldn't read too much into Peel looking the best SH against Scotland as he came on against a tiring team.

I wouldn't be surprised if Phillips is selected above Peel in Ireland and Gatland will have his reasons, as he has had for his other selections. But i remain miles off being convinced that Phillips is better than Peel even on Saturdays form.

TaffSpick (IP Logged)
24 February, 2008 22:31
It wasn't so noticeable against Italy but certainly against Scotland it was Martyn Williams who actually played most of the game at scrum half! I was (and still am) incredulous at Martyn's amazing performance in that game.

Cardiff Boo's (IP Logged)
26 February, 2008 11:40
Martyn was poor by his standards on Sat. Phillips is still not a team player but I think I would start with him and SJ at ten against Ireland. This might come back to haunt me but I think we will beat Ireland with the same game plan as Sat but better execution is needed and we need a strict referee or we will get killed at the breakdown as we are still to timid.

Reservoir Prop (IP Logged)
27 February, 2008 10:17
Wayne Barnes will ref at Choke Park.

TaffSpick (IP Logged)
27 February, 2008 12:11
Infamous homer

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
CAPTCHA
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net