rugbyunion
Latest News:

Ireland v England - Armchair Fanzine Match Thoughts Review
Unofficial England Rugby Union (IP Logged)
23 March, 2011 10:33
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Re: Ireland v England - Armchair Fanzine Match Thoughts Review
Rarua (IP Logged)
23 March, 2011 20:33
Oh dear!

Very confused. Did Lawrence rob you?

From what I saw, the Irish loose forwards gave their counterparts in white a damned good seeing to.

And that was the game won and lost.

Everything else was "by how much?"

Should have been a lot more. That is how I'd allot it.

And Haskell wasn't good enough.

PoyntonShark (IP Logged)
24 March, 2011 01:15
Hmmm, I usually find my self agreeing with Robmaza, but can't on this occasion. I found it difficult to take a positive from the game (the tournament yes, but not that game). you are right a 24-8 loss in Ireland wouldn't and shouldn't have been seen as a disaster, but sometimes the scoreboard lies, Iraland were considerably more than 3 times better than us on the day. As Rarua pointed out, the Irish back row assumed control of the ball for most of the game and that basically won the game for Ireland.

To be fair Rarua, Robmaza never claimed that Lawrence robbed England, Ireland were clearly the better side, that doesn't in any way excuse Lawrence's awful performance.

http://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/2451156279081.gif
We are the angry mob. We read the papers every day. We like who we like, we hate who we hate, but we're also easily swayed.

robmaza (IP Logged)
25 March, 2011 13:45
I can see what both of you are saying. My point is that the best team on the day doesn't always have to win. Had Flood and Wilkinson kicked their goals the score would have been 24-13. Had Lawrence pinged Ireland (Court) for collapsing the three consecutive scrums in the second half, we may well have set up a good field position and grabbed a try, perhaps even a sin binning thrown into the mix.

Rarua (IP Logged)
25 March, 2011 18:52
England weren't the best team last weekend.

Patrick (IP Logged)
25 March, 2011 19:24
Quote:
Rarua
England weren't the best team last weekend.

Far from it. Just the best team over the previous 4 weekends, and deserved championship winners. As McCaw's recently said, the loss in Dublin will make England stronger.

Mind you I do think Ireland's performance was also down to not actually having anything to play for but pride. If there was something at stake for them they may have gone into their shells a bit, understandably I suppose.

Rarua (IP Logged)
26 March, 2011 02:40
I don't think that it was as clean cut as that.

England wasn't a stand out better team. To me it was more a three way draw.

Mr lumpy (IP Logged)
26 March, 2011 10:09
I am getting a bit confused at how the scrums are controlled these days.Nearly all the scrums either stood up or went down in the last three matches with out the ref penalising any one.We either have clear and consistent rules or lets just throw the ball in and hope.At this level its about time that the refs are told to raise their game in this area or are they waiting for a few more injuries and fights to occur before something is done

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net