rugbyunion
Latest News:
Cornish Pirates Unofficial Forum - Senedh Gernewek Morladron

Jonny Bentley
Sawtry Pirate (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 09:44
Article in The Rugy Paper this morning as follows:- Cornish Pirates face competition from Leeds for the services of their leading playmaker Jonny Bentley.
Bentley was instrumental in the Pirates` march to last years Championship semi-finals and picked up Player of the Year and Supporters` Player of the year accolades.
But the 25-year-old has made just three starts in an injury-blighted 2011-12 campaign.
Carnegie have made him an offer to move north where he could be joind at half back by Saracens youngster Luke Baldwin.

Read into that article what you will!

Re: Jonny Bentley
methethird (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 10:14
Sounds ominous, I do not expect him to stay.

Act your shoe size not your age!

rotherhamtillidie (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 10:14
Why on earth would he want to go to leeds?

25 March, 2012 10:38
In all fairness Neddie, don`t you think a player of his standard who is idolised by many Pirate fans should show some loyalty after a season being looked after by the physio team getting him back to full fitness and drawing a salary for not playing. BUT!!! I have always said that in whatever sport, if a player is not fully commited to his/her team should they stay?

POSTS (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 11:50
No way in a million years should the lad move up north,Why well take a look out of the window or across the bay or across the beach,thats why.

BertSolomon (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 15:30
Quote:
Sawtry Pirate
In all fairness Neddie, don`t you think a player of his standard who is idolised by many Pirate fans should show some loyalty after a season being looked after by the physio team getting him back to full fitness and drawing a salary for not playing. BUT!!! I have always said that in whatever sport, if a player is not fully commited to his/her team should they stay?

Pretty quick to turn on JB Sawtry Pirate. I agree that the Pirates' management have stood by him admirably, but why does receiving an offer mean that he is "not fully committed" to the Pirates?

25 March, 2012 16:15
BS, dont take my message the wrong way. Firstly, we are some of Jonnys biggest fans. Secondly what is printed in papers is quite often just gossip but I will stand by what I said, though not just at JB, if you wear the shirt then there should be some loyalty.
I`m sure that if any of the squad move on in the next couple of months, most Pirates supporters will be disappointed.

1908 (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 16:29
JB would be pretty certain of the starting spot at 10 next season if he stayed at Pirates (unless we sign another 10)

I doubt that he would first choice 10 if he went to Leeds.

Good luck to him wherever he is......a real fine player.

Trojan Pirate (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 16:43
JB has a serious injury which he is not going to get over anytime soon.

Will he be available next season? If so when.

Sadly he has only crossed the whitewash 3/4 times this season.

If you were holding the purse strings what would you do, sign him on a new contract that he could not fulfil.

Pirate15 (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 16:59
Don't know if anyone else heard the interview with Chris Stirling a couple of days ago when he said things are progressing behind the scenes with regard to player recruitment for next season but some of our players are attracting attention from premiership clubs and we will not stand in their way if they get an opportunity to move on.
Unfortunately its a fact of life in the professional game(4 of the Rotherham pack have already agreed moves to 'bigger' clubs) and no doubt we will also be effected but our coaches have shown they have a good eye at recruiting young and talented replacements.
In the case of JB hopefully he will stay and regain his full fitness over the summer as there is no doubt he is a match winner when he plays.

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
25 March, 2012 17:33
The endless delays in the stadium project have meant that players will inevitably move on if they are out of contract and get a chance to play at a higher level.
We may have to accept that we'll have to consolidate next season and then build the squad again - if the stadium finally get the go ahead.

blazie pirate (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 09:04
A fully fit JB will walk into most Prem Set ups.
The injury he is getting over is a career threatening injury. Lets not forget the man has had personal torment to overcome as well as the injury.
I certainly hpoe he stays, a real Gentleman.

1908 (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 11:54
I hope he stays as well.An exciting player to watch.Would be a real bonus for the Pirates if he did.With the rumours of Cookie going to Sale,then we'd have to sign a proven place kicker as well because JB isn't a kicker.

Perran Pirate (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 12:52
Pointer is.

1908 (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 13:16
Is Pointer a proven place kicker?
I know he takes the long ones.
I must admit he always seems to strike the ball well......something Cookie hasn't been doing so well this season...

BertSolomon (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 14:12
Quote:
we'd have to sign a proven place kicker as well because JB isn't a kicker.

When Bentley was signed, Chris Stirling was quoted as saying that he had kicked at 80% for the past 2 seasons. I don't have current stats to hand and maybe some work would be needed to get back to this level, but I would have thought that 80% is a pretty respectable strike rate in the Championship. IIRC Tony Yapp kicked at around this mark and was considered a decent level 2 kicker.

1908 (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 14:25
80% is more than acceptable.But I don't think JB has been anywhere near that whilst he has been at the Pirates.

To be fair to him,he has hardly been 100% fit since he came to us and I'm sure that his injuries have had an affect on his kicking.

When you think that despite his injuries,JB has been a huge asset it makes you wonder what he could achieve when he's fully fit.Let's hope this sunshine persuades him to stay.

Is there any chance of him being fit for the play offs? Most people I speak to seem to think not.

cheshire exile (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 14:30
I thought his abdominal injury restricted his place kicking?
Some odd views on this thread IMHO.Why would JB not be first choice if fit and at Leeds, why does a press article mean he is off, why would another club be targetting a player with a current injury, etc etc?

BertSolomon (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 15:09
Quote:
cheshire exile
I thought his abdominal injury restricted his place kicking?
Some odd views on this thread IMHO.Why would JB not be first choice if fit and at Leeds, why does a press article mean he is off, why would another club be targetting a player with a current injury, etc etc?

Think you're right about the injury ce. Re: not being first choice, given the choice of a fit JB and Joe Ford, I wouldn't be spending too long scratching my head. However, maybe this makes me a conspiracy theorist, but (maybe thanks to his father) I just have a sneaky suspicion that "the powers that be" have earmarked Joe Ford for greater things and would want to see him getting plenty of game time at 10.

Perran Pirate (IP Logged)
26 March, 2012 22:33
OK .. we are going to loose a lot of stars this year - but that is part of Chris's policy : to give the boys a guarantee that the club will not stand in their way if the premiership beckons.
I think Chris has a very high regard for JB, and it may be that the boy realises that here is the place that can be his platform to greater things ( maybe with us .. or otherwise )

Now Gavin is back to form ... Gavin was sharp on Sunday : the combination of Gav and JB might be our passport to the Premiership next season.

We have this worry every spring - but what we now have is a coaching / scouting team who can unearth raw talent and turn it into gold.

That is our strength.

cornishbob (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 00:24
What on earth is everyone worrying about, the only way JB will move to Leeds is IF and it's now a very big If is that Leeds are going to get promoted and from what I've seen of Leeds this season they are not AP material.
The other question is are they going to take on someone who hasn't played for the major part of two seasons, I doubt it; tis only paper talk.
Another other question is can we afford to keep someone who is without doubt an exciting talent for a few games a season when we can sign someone who is maybe less talented but is likely to remain fit? What do you think?

1spy (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 07:30
Their are a lot of players in the top level of English rugby, unfortunately also their are a majority of clubs that are short of funds and close to going bust.Agents talk up the players for higher saleries but do the clubs have the money to pay for it?France also is having problems with the euro devalued and a recession looming so that big money door is closing to. Everyone including players has to understand the economy effects their saleries like eveybody else.

27 March, 2012 08:36
No sign of it yet though.

Sancreed Pirate (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 09:30
As far as keeping players or signing new ones everything hinges on the new Stadium being built. If it is turned down then we will end up being on the same level as Albion and Moseley (maybe) and can kiss goodbye to the standard of rugby we are seeing at the moment.

EDF Trophy Winners 2007
B & I Cup Winners 2010

cornishbob (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 11:27
Sancreed, frightening ain't it?

1908 (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 13:45
Off the top of my head here are the 10's in the Aviva premiership.

Leicester Flood, Ford
Bath Donald,Heathcote
Quins Evans,Clegg
Wuss Pieman Goode,Gray
Gos Burns
Northampton Myler
Exeter Mieres, Steeno
L.Irish Lamb,Malone
Wasps Robinson
Sale MacLeod
Falcons Gopperth
Saracens Hodgson/Farrell

Blazie.

Still think a fit JB would walk into most premiership set ups?

Not a chance.His and our best bet is to stay with us next season.

BertSolomon (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 14:37
I little bit misleading 1908, your list proves that he wouldn't walk in as a starter, however most sides have more backups than you have listed (none in some cases). There's an argument that says he is better than many backups (Molly Malone anyone?) and most third choices.

As a Pirates supporter, I am surprised that you haven't mentioned Myles Dorrian at Exeter. I would have thought that most would agree that JB was a better player than Dorrian last season and Dorrian managed to get himself into Exeter's set up.

1908 (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 14:52
Bert.

The list was not complete ( as I said,it's off the top of my head) and was used as an example to answer Blazie's claim that JB would walk into most premiership set ups.
Clearly JB might get a chance with a couple of clubs at Premiership level as a back up.......but he's never going to walk into any Premiership squad.

Exeter have been using Dorrian as a centre and full back in the A league as well as a fly half.Do I think that Exeter could or should have offered JB a contract over Dorrian?Possibly.Seems that Dorrians versatility is the key and they went for that as an extra option.

BertSolomon (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 15:23
Interesting point about Dorrian's versatility 1908, I didn't realise that, as you say, it's certainly a big advantage to any squad player.

Re: "walking in" I think we're arguing about semantics by and large. Taking things totally literally, very few if any players would "walk into most AP sides" thanks to the many factors at work behind the scenes like budgets, salary caps and existing contracts.

blazie pirate (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 16:09
I did say most and I would stick by that. I also said a fully fit JB. He had rave reviews last season and certainly didnt go unnoticed.
I would hate to see JB leave the club.

1908 (IP Logged)
27 March, 2012 17:13
I hope he stays too,Blazie.

If the council can pull it's finger out and do the right thing and pass the stadiums plans,and JB can have a summer to get fit and well,then I'd like nothing better than to see him spearhead our push to the Premiership.

He has countless fans on this forum and also amongst Pirates followers.He is one of the most exciting 10's I have ever seen play the game in a Pirate shirt.And that is where I think he would be best placed (and really hope his future lies) for next season......not in the Premiership.

27 March, 2012 21:20
Whats the point in him going to Leeds, to me that would be a side ways move. They are not going up this year, and with Newcastle looking like they are coming down, Leeds will not be going up next year either?

Pirate15 (IP Logged)
28 March, 2012 10:59
Just heard Chris Stirling being interviewed on the radio about the Rotherham game,he sounded very positive but aware of how big a challenge this will be for the squad,hopefully Laurie McGlone should be back but unfortunately he confirmed that despite some terrific medical care JB will miss the rest of the season.
Now that this decision has been made,I hope that Jonny can get himself fully fit and if he stays we see him next season showcasing his undoubted talent in the championship.

elegia (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 12:59
lamb is at northampton btw, not irish & pretty sure malone isn't first choice for them - it's bowwden isn't it?

http://www.neworderonline.com/Photos/Cache/9731.2111.avatar.JPG
the ace of bass

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2012 13:07 by elegia.

coach (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 17:31
I think JB was a good player but he has played no part in getting us to the play offs and a cup semi.

Give credit to the players who have and have we got the money to pay a player who will prob be sitting in the stand next season.

Pirate15 (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 18:08
A fully fit JB won't be sitting in the stands.

w0ll (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 18:19
Coach: The key word for your concern is 'insurance' I believe. JB is still a good player.

Pirate15 (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 11:30
It would seem from this comment by Dicky Evans after the Rotherham game that JB needs another operation ""We have missed JB [Bentley] and I wish him well with his operation".
IF this is true I wish Jonny the very best of luck with this latest set back and hope to see him fit and well back at the Mennaye for next season.

1spy (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 17:30
Good luck JB and hope you have a quick recovery this summer ready for next season.

Northern Pirate (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 21:38
As I posted on the Drew Lock Thread the word was that JB is to have an operation and then retire back to New Zealand.Thats what I was told anyway.NP

Seasick Steve (IP Logged)
04 April, 2012 07:29
If that is right NP, then that is a great shame.

04 April, 2012 08:36
Given the level of comment & specualtion on this board, would not a statement from the club be useful? It took a press piece to elicit the info about Drew Locke's departure.

Phil W (IP Logged)
04 April, 2012 08:51
CE - an official press piece re JB might be forthcoming but with reference to Drew our release was set up for Monday following good liaison with Gloucester. The fact that it was somehow leaked to The Rugby Paper was nothing to with the Pirates or Gloucester. I can understand that you would think that it took a press piece to elicit the info about Drew, but that was simply not the case.

Phil W

Phil W (IP Logged)
04 April, 2012 08:55
By the way, the liaison and arrangement made with Gloucester was sorted on Friday - two days before The Rugby Paper print.

Phil W

Pirate15 (IP Logged)
04 April, 2012 11:23
In an interview today on the radio Chris Stirling confirmed that JB has had an operation and his leg is currently in a cast.
Chris was very upbeat on the radio,he mentioned how highly regarded the club are in rugby circles at present and that a couple of our players have been approached by premiership clubs but that we have also had a number of players approached by other championship clubs but many have chosen to remain with us.
He said that the club are recruiting players and many players want to come to us which is a great credit to the club,coaching staff and players.
He finally said that Saturdays game at Cross Keys will be very difficult,he expects a very different side than the one that played down here as Newport Gwent Dragons have no fixture.

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
04 April, 2012 12:45
Considering the uncertainty around the stadium project it's impressive that we are able to hold on to and recruit players. If only we can get the go ahead for the stadium we will have guys battering at our door to join us.

05 April, 2012 08:52
Phil, thanks for your response.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net