rugbyunion
Latest News:
Cornish Pirates Unofficial Forum - Senedh Gernewek Morladron

S4C funding
Kentish_Exile (IP Logged)
08 April, 2012 22:00
I got into some very interesting conversations with friends new and old during the visit of Old Dunstonians about the S4C and all things Cornish rugby but the one thing none of us could answer with any degree of certainty is "where is the capital funding going to come from to build the stadium'. Having trawled the message board and pretty much everything on the net, I can honestly say that I cannot find the answer....................can anyone help?

Re: S4C funding
blazie pirate (IP Logged)
09 April, 2012 00:56
Do you really expect that sort of information on a open forum such as this!!!!!

DKR7Y (IP Logged)
09 April, 2012 08:00
Only the Stadium Stakeholders have access to that sort of information Kentish Exile.
Regards

09 April, 2012 08:40
Sorry guys - poor wording on my part, the question should have been "who i.e. the stakeholders is going to fund the building work".

A couple of lads who are Pirate regulars, said "Dickie will put the money up", I said "he has guaranteed the on going running costs for ten years, but he is not going to build it".

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
09 April, 2012 11:48
Not for the public domain at present, presumably.

10 April, 2012 14:23
This kind of worries me ........... here we are waiting, praying, hoping, keeping various parts of the anatomy crossed in the hope that approval will be given, and yet no one knows who is going to build it?

1908 (IP Logged)
10 April, 2012 15:32
Agree with you on that score Kentish_Exile.

I know that there is commercial confidentiality and sensitivity to think about.......but the only half valid objection that the nay sayers have in their locker is the issue about funding transparancy.

We could scupper that if we could only say that X,Y and Z were putting in this ammount or that ammount.Until we do the nay sayers will claim that some underhand or undisclosed council funding is going to be used to build the Stadium.

BertSolomon (IP Logged)
10 April, 2012 16:19
Quote:
I know that there is commercial confidentiality and sensitivity to think about.......but the only half valid objection that the nay sayers have in their locker is the issue about funding transparancy.
We could scupper that if we could only say that X,Y and Z were putting in this ammount or that ammount.Until we do the nay sayers will claim that some underhand or undisclosed council funding is going to be used to build the Stadium.

Well said 1908, maybe this is a necessary evil, but I agree that this approach does nothing to help win over public opinion.

I find it similarly confusing that the website doesn't seem to state who the proposed stakeholders are or have any news since February.

DKR7Y (IP Logged)
10 April, 2012 16:40
BertSoloman
The Cornwall Council website clearly states who the Stakeholders are.The S4C Group have not been involved with the funding issues.When and if Inox get their planning application approved on the 6th of May then the funding will have to be sorted ASAP.
1spy

BertSolomon (IP Logged)
10 April, 2012 17:13
Quote:
DKR7Y
The Cornwall Council website clearly states who the Stakeholders are.

The CCC website isn't the easiest site to navigate, the only thing I could find was a statement which could be out of date by now. I really don't think it's unreasonable to expect to find information as fundamental to the cause as this clearly stated on the campaign group's website. Failing this how about a link to the relevant page on the CCC website? This would at least suggest that the S4C group acknowledge the information linked to as up to date and correct.

DKR7Y (IP Logged)
10 April, 2012 19:44
BertSolomon
Why dont you email or telephone your County Councillor they get well paid for representing you and should have the information on hand.

10 April, 2012 19:50
Hmmmmmm....... having dug around on the CCC website I found:

[www.cornwall.gov.uk]

that includes the following paragraph:

"Discussions are continuing with the key stakeholders, namely Truro and Penwith College, Inox Group and the Cornish Pirates Rugby Football Club who have come together to form Cornwall Community Stadium Limited, and also Truro City Football Club on a range of issues, including how the project could be funded."

Based upon a little knowledge (always dangerous), common sense and statements in the public domain, we have got to hope that as my esteemed Pirates regular friend said "Dickie will put the money up" he does, because if you take a good look at the Inox website, they are a company all about investment, and that means getting a return.

Simply by putting 20m in the bank in a basic bond that's a return @ 3% of 600k per annum, so commercial confidentiality notwithstanding I can see why people are asking for financial transparency.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2012 19:56 by Kentish_Exile.

Hedfal (IP Logged)
10 April, 2012 20:59
A line of thought for the ones on the fence. in the 1908 Olympics, Cornwall represented Great Britain as the top county in this country, playing Australia at the White City Stadium in London (built and run by PUBLIC money)

In this year of the Olympics just for a second IMAGINE the S4C filled to capacity with the torch bearer entering the Stadium to a Cornish welcome.

I dispise the nay sayers and objectors for delaying this facility, that could bring so much joy and pride to our County.

To those of you that say you represent the people in County Hall, i say you are not of the people to make such judgments upon us, your card is marked.....(Sm109)

Trojan Pirate (IP Logged)
11 April, 2012 15:43
A lot of people seem to forget that that the Strategic Planning Committee of Cornwall Council have granted outline planning permission (14 votes to 4), for the approval of a Stadium at Langarth

So subject to detailed planning permission being approved then it could go ahead if somebody stumps up the money, it pretty much is that simple, unless someone can tell me otherwise

BertSolomon (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 01:11
Quote:
DKR7Y
BertSolomon
Why dont you email or telephone your County Councillor they get well paid for representing you and should have the information on hand.

Because I wouldn't be selfish enough to waste the time of a publicly employed individual to answer a question that any competent campaign group's website would make clear. Why not just post the link if it's that easy to find?

BTW, even in Cornish terms, County Councillors aren't well paid!

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 09:49
12000 a year in "expenses" ain't bad, though.

cheshire exile (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 10:34
In terms of per productive hour , some appear better paid than the odd banker....

POSTS (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 13:05
All these differant arguments but not one that will stand up if the stadium is not built.The next generation will hold the people accountable for not supporting a stadium for Cornwall.For not giving Cornish youngsters the chance that the rest of the country take for granted.For not letting Cornish folk watch premiership rugby in our homeland.For not having a stadium that will host many differant functions.If it is built it will be our legacy to the younger generation if not then it will go down as the naysayers legacy to the younger generations,DONT LOSE THIS CHANCE IT WILL NOT COME AGAIN.

w0ll (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 18:41
Listening to Stirlo's interview one section caught my ear with regards the building of the new stadium in Wellington to replace the old Athletic Ground(?).

Public funding WITHOUT consultation to the local populous. Average gates have risen from 8-9000 to 30000

They like their rugby do the Kiwi's...Does Cornwall too?

1908 (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 20:29
I noticed that as well,Woll.

The strength of a democracy can also be it's weakness.

It's an age old adage.....but true. We get the politicians we deserve.

It's times like this when you fleetingly think that a dictatorship might not be a bad idea.

w0ll (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 20:45
We must have been really bad to deserve some of this shower 1908!

Some of them even get their letters in to the WB on a weekly basis too, which, in effect say the exactly the same as it did the week before.

Trouble is they attract their own kind of groupies.

"Getting 10,000 attendances is cloud cuckoo land" said one letter writer in last week's WB.

I can't help but wonder if the visits of Tigers, Saints, Quins and Chiefs...to name but 4 that would raise a few eyebrows...as to whether 10000 may not be enough. And that's a 3rd of the regular season fixtures in a blink of the eye.

And to think that Chiefs' average gate when they were at the County Ground was around what 1500-2000? Their catchment area was the same then as it is now...

1908 (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 22:16
You are right,Woll.

Classic example of the weakness of democracy.

You have to pass a test to drive a car,or to teach a class of children or to become a doctor.

But if you are over 18 and can draw an X you can influence society.

13 April, 2012 10:44
w0ll you make an interesting point

Quote:
w0ll
They like their rugby do the Kiwi's...Does Cornwall too?

Once upon a time, I would have said yes, but back in the day it was Cornishmen watching Cornishmen playing at the one of the highest levels of the game. Unfortunately that concept is dead and buried today, but with a stadium hosting some of the biggest names in the game, the Pirates would undoubtedly attract the more casual supporter, and who knows convert them into regulars.

Looking at the problems facing some of the teams already playing in the premiership it does beg the question "what does the future of professional rugby hold?"

Pirate15 (IP Logged)
13 April, 2012 11:35
"what does the future of professional rugby hold?"
An interesting point,the game in England has got a great opportunity over the next few years to maximise its potential with the rugby world cup in 2015 being held here.
It was interesting to see the newly appointed England coach Stuart Lancaster praising the championship for the development of some of his current squad,lets hope he can influence the RFU into making our league a truly professional set up instead of leaving it to people like Dicky Evans.

w0ll (IP Logged)
13 April, 2012 18:40
(Sm26)The future is bright if...it doesn't rely on just a dozen clubs to do the job when it should be able to sustain 18-20 minimum.

Point in case: 83000 at Wemberrrrly to watch Quins n Sarries. Why don't both average 40000+ or at least regularly fill their current bases???

A quandry if ever there were

Sancreed Pirate (IP Logged)
13 April, 2012 18:57
The round ball game is often derided on this and other rugby forums but by golly they could teach rugby a thing or two in how to encourage ambition and refresh the top league on a regular basis. You only have to look at the success of the three promoted teams in football's Premiership this year to see that.

No spurious ground criteria to keep their Championship teams in their place. The promotion and relegation and sensible play offs right throughout their structure ensures that interest never wanes and ambition is rewarded if the business is done on the field of play, which is exactly as it should be.

I would love us to win the Championship and expose the farce that is the PRL placing every possible obstacle in the way of progress.

EDF Trophy Winners 2007
B & I Cup Winners 2010

w0ll (IP Logged)
13 April, 2012 19:27
What he said

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net