Goto: Message ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Dave Ward
Posted by: Pushing Tin (IP Logged)
Date: 10 April, 2012 11:52

Off to Harlequins.

Re: Dave Ward
Posted by: An Wydhenn (IP Logged)
Date: 10 April, 2012 12:13

Bleddy hell. All the best to Wardy and Chris and well deserved etc but I repeat; bleddy hell.

Posted by: Maid 'n Mouthy (IP Logged)
Date: 10 April, 2012 12:38

So, as rumoured, the Wizard is on his way to the big city. We can only thank you Dave for those magical "how did he do that?" moments. Your style, humour and cheeky smile will be sadly missed. I look forward to seeing you on SKY performing at the top level- you versus Sam and Blair at Wuss should be some contest - you are well liked there of course!

Posted by: Berts Pirates (IP Logged)
Date: 10 April, 2012 12:49

well done Wardy, don't forget, once a Pirate always a Pirate

Posted by: Porthusek Pirate (IP Logged)
Date: 10 April, 2012 13:14

At Quinns this Saturday - I will be watching a 'Pirates Exiles' squad soon!!

S4C even more pognant to help keep these players and in some cases the manager - Chris Stirling also stated that no stadium, or imminent prospect of a stadium, played a part in his decision making.
(Although given the chance to scout for ones country I think he would have gone anyway!)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2012 13:15 by Porthusek Pirate.

Posted by: rotherhamtillidie (IP Logged)
Date: 10 April, 2012 13:30

best hooker in the league?

Posted by: Pirate Pig. (IP Logged)
Date: 10 April, 2012 14:02

A huge loss for the pirates but a fully deserved opportunity for Wardy to show his talents at the highest level.
He has produced some tremendous displays for the club and always gives 100%,how he manages to win some of those turnovers still amazes me and I'm sure he will be a big favourite with the Quins fans.
Thanks Dave and best wishes for the future.(Sm128)

Posted by: deadlyfrom5yardsout (IP Logged)
Date: 10 April, 2012 14:04

Thanks Pirates! Keep 'em coming. If he does as well as Hopper all will be well.

(Sm128)

Adventure before Dementia!

Posted by: cornishbob (IP Logged)
Date: 10 April, 2012 14:24

BON VOYAGE DAVE AND THANK YOU. QUINS HAVE A REAL STAR IN YOU, CONGRATS.(Sm109)

Posted by: pastitref (IP Logged)
Date: 10 April, 2012 16:11

Bye Bye Dave you big grinning, ball stealing, ref tormenting hero!

All the best at Quins (EXCEPT WHEN YOU PLAY GLAWS)

(Sm132)

Posted by: cornish cockney (IP Logged)
Date: 10 April, 2012 16:18

Someone gonna have a big hole to fill,Dave Ward has been outstanding for us since the day he signed and always played on the edge.at least our penalty count may come down now(Sm9)(tongue in cheek)

Posted by: BertSolomon (IP Logged)
Date: 10 April, 2012 16:45

As everyone else has said, all the best to Dave.

I hope this is the right move for him, Harlequins' press release is a bit ambiguous, the first paragraph says:

Harlequins announced today (10th April 2012) that Dave Ward will join the club for the start of next season under the injury dispensation arrangement.

Starter for 10, does anyone know who or what the "injury dispensation arrangement" is? Googling it only seems to yield lots of copies of the press release itself! I'm also a bit confused by the meaning of "Ward will join the club for the start of next season" - does this mean he joins Quins at the start of next season (in which case why "for" not "from", also what about the off season?) or does it mean the duration of the contract is the start of next season?

It would be a great shame to see him struggling for game time, farmed out as a DR player or even worse out of contract half way though the season.

Posted by: Pirate Pig. (IP Logged)
Date: 10 April, 2012 17:05

Although I haven't found an official interpretation, looking on the premiership site there is quite a few matches for the term "injury dispensation arrangement" and they all relate to players being signed to cover a long term injury, Quins currently have Aston Croall(hooker/prop) on such a deal until the end of the season.
I get the impression that it allows a club to sign another player above/outside the salary cap whilst honouring the contract of the injured player but I stand to be corrected.

Posted by: DICKYMINT (IP Logged)
Date: 10 April, 2012 17:17

I have been a great fan of Wardie's play & it is a massive loss for us.

If ever Duracell wanted a rugby player to use in an advertising campaign, he's their man !!!!!

hot smiley

Posted by: Monte (IP Logged)
Date: 10 April, 2012 18:17

I think it means that his salary does not have to come from within the salary cap because presumably we still pay Chris Brooker who is injured - therefore a technicality, but we are still minus a hooker with Matt Cairns now retired so when Brooker comes back I presume Dave's salary will move into the salary cap!!! Hope the cap fits!

Posted by: truropirate (IP Logged)
Date: 10 April, 2012 18:22

Good luck to Dave as already said best hooker in the league

Posted by: POSTS (IP Logged)
Date: 10 April, 2012 18:44

Good luck Dave i am sure you will be a great addition to the Quins team.

Posted by: Black Pig (IP Logged)
Date: 10 April, 2012 18:46

Apart from best Hooker i think he is the best Mole as well he seems to have the ability to get through holes that don't exist ! Good Luck Dave (Sm109)

Posted by: Yog (IP Logged)
Date: 10 April, 2012 18:50

Quote:
pastitref
Bye Bye Dave you big grinning, ball stealing, ref tormenting hero! (Sm132)

Top quote (Sm128)

I couldn't think of anything more fitting for such a great player ... so I'm shamelessly copying it (Sm141) (Sm152)

Posted by: blazie pirate (IP Logged)
Date: 10 April, 2012 19:18

He had to go to the capital, the pick pocketing city. Wardy has been picking pockets in the Championship for long enough.
Will be really sad to see him go, but the Man is a True Pirate . (Sm109)

Best of luck David, you will not be forgotten.

Posted by: w0ll (IP Logged)
Date: 10 April, 2012 20:09

I'm sure Bedford will be glad to see the back of Wardy as he likes scoring against them (Sm115)

Best wishes Dave...you will be missed. Though I'm sure the door will alaways be open....

Posted by: chief 1 (IP Logged)
Date: 10 April, 2012 21:50

Wardy is a great Championship hooker, probably the best, but the Premiership is completley different. I think he will suffer with his throwing and scrumaging. If he has any puff left he might not be as mobile as he is in the Championship. However, he deserves his day and a rise in wages.

Date: 10 April, 2012 21:54

Chief1 Bad comment, remember most of your first team squad even now came from the Championship!!
(Sm109)

Posted by: Expat Pirate (IP Logged)
Date: 10 April, 2012 21:56

Well said W0ll !!!! It would be great for Wardy and for us to see him score another on Sat'dee and to gt revenge for the 3 defeats so far this season.

Good luck, Merlin, a true Cornish wizard !!!!!

C'mon you Pirates !!!!

Date: 10 April, 2012 21:56

Whoose 1st XV squad do you refer to?

Posted by: Sancreed Pirate (IP Logged)
Date: 11 April, 2012 09:36

You know very well he means Exeter Chiefs. If you are not a Chiefs supporter then it would be prudent to change your log in name, unless you are deliberately setting out to confuse.

EDF Trophy Winners 2007
B & I Cup Winners 2010

Posted by: Darkside (IP Logged)
Date: 11 April, 2012 11:07

Wish him well with Quins, he has been an immense player for Pirates. I just hope to does not end up as bench player. he is too good for that.

Matt Hopper did really well early in the season, when called in to cover for injured regular centres. But since they have returned, he appears to have disappeared off the radar.

Posted by: *Stalwart (IP Logged)
Date: 11 April, 2012 11:12

Chief 1 - you're obviously a better judge than Connor O'Shea, then.
Sorry mate, Wardy will prove you wrong. He is a very special player.

Posted by: Cant Stop (IP Logged)
Date: 11 April, 2012 14:28

An Immense player for us and will be greatly missed, good luck for the future Dave

Date: 11 April, 2012 14:59

I'm 'Chief 1' as I was the first Chief Executive of a professional Premiership Club back in the '90's.
I have also recruited some of the finest players of all time so I do know a little bit about rugby players and how to run a Club.
I really enjoy watching the Pirates, it's just a shame they haven't been able to retain all their players over the last few seasons. Dickie is a good man and doesn't stand in the way of any player who is offered a Premiership contract.

Posted by: POSTS (IP Logged)
Date: 11 April, 2012 15:04

Wow chief 1 can i have your autograph.

Posted by: BertSolomon (IP Logged)
Date: 12 April, 2012 01:28

Quote:
*Stalwart
Chief 1 - you're obviously a better judge than Connor O'Shea, then.
Sorry mate, Wardy will prove you wrong. He is a very special player.

Why does anything other than sychophantism need to be greeted with such an aggressive reaction? While Dave is an entertaining player to watch and has done well for the Pirates at level 2, at the end of the day, he's a level 1 reject hooker who throws in poorly and gives away penalties / yellow cards for a pastime!

It will be interesting to see how he gets on, as I questioned and others have clarified, it seems like the great judge Connor O'Shea has brought him in as injury cover - what will happen when he has to become part of the salary cap?

Date: 12 April, 2012 08:04

Bert,

"sychophantism"

Wins this weeks award for the most impressive word in a rugby thread.

The word reject, on the other hand, earns you a (Sm20)

Posted by: *Stalwart (IP Logged)
Date: 12 April, 2012 09:48

Bert - why is any post that doesn't agree with you considered "sychophantism?
My honest opinion is that Dave Ward is a very special and gifted player - so I make no apology for stating that.
I'm also a Pirates supporter so I'm entitled to be one eyed and biased in their favour - that's what supporters do.
Your comment about the lad being a reject is ridiculous. He, like so many others, has improved steadily over his time with us and is a far more complete player than he was three years ago.

Posted by: cheshire exile (IP Logged)
Date: 12 April, 2012 10:32

And in fact was a flanker in some previous incarnations, so it could be argued that he has spent 3 years with good coaches improving his game by actually playing, rather than sitting on a gym bench or a sub's bench.
It could also be argued that someone describing himself as "recruiting some of the finest
players of all time" might elicit a slightly aggressive reaction.

Posted by: LadockPirate (IP Logged)
Date: 12 April, 2012 13:20

I've had more fun watching Wardy play than probably any other single player in recent years. His loose play and ability to steal ball almost at will will be talked about for many years in these parts. Its his type of flair play thats exemplified everything about the Pirates under Chris S and has made the team so popular with the viewing public - supporters and Sky tv.

He's played in the prem for 2 clubs before coming to us and will no doubt go on the improve with further prem experience. Good luck Dave and thanks for everything.

Cheers LP

http://www.smiliegenerator.de/s31/smilies-25821.png

Posted by: 1908 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 April, 2012 13:55

Anyone who won't recognise that cricket is England's national sport won't recognise Wardies special talent!!

Date: 13 April, 2012 00:22

Chief 1 You're obviously making mischief, but just in case you're not. Dave Ward came to us as a premiership reject, was disillusioned and fed up with being passed along. Under a tutorship led by Chris Stirling he has become a much better and rounded player, someone who has belief in himself again and someone who is ready to prove himself to people like you. Unlike you he has not hidden behind an assumed 'handle' but has been bold enough not to hide and has come out all guns blazing!!. He has been given the chance to prove that he is a player worth investing in, albeit by Quins and not as I'm sorry to say by the Chiefs. Which again leads me to believe that you have no knowledge about what you are speaking. I suggest you speak to Rob (Baxter) and get an honest and unbiased opinion as to Dave Wards ability. In my opinion it's stupid and unnecessary comments such as yours that brings our game into disrepute!! Now go and preen your head dress and practice your 'chop'. To any other Chief supporters reading this I have the utmost respect for your club and what's been achieved in a very short time and would hold your club as a role model to learn from and one I would like the Pirates to emulate.

Date: 13 April, 2012 08:38

The Dwardie is known for its ability to burrow into dark and dangerous areas and somehow, in front of the others, steal away with the goodies...hot smiley

Date: 13 April, 2012 11:06

Dear Cornishbob
Sorry to mislead you and perhaps others, but my old Club is 2nd in the Premiership. Perhaps one shouldn't jump to conclusions, based purely on a title or name?
I do really like the Pirates brand of rugby, especially with Bentley at 10. My comments on Ward could come from experience. As watchers of last weeks European quarter finals may have noticed; the big boys play with a tremendous amount of physicality, which takes it toll on the bodies of even the very biggest and strongest. If you read my first posting again,I did state that Ward deserves his chance and the rise in wages

Date: 13 April, 2012 11:38

Chief 1, your team may be second in the premiership but that doesn't make you any more of an expert than anyone else! I take on board your tongue in cheek comment to him having his chance and rise in wages, BUT it is written (at least in my eyes) with a certain amount of he'll not make it between the lines; maybe you'll be proved right, only time will tell. Come down on Sunday and enjoy a game of passionate rugby, you'll be very very welcome, (Sm109)

Posted by: Gareth_Blues (IP Logged)
Date: 13 April, 2012 13:39

Quote:
w0ll
I'm sure Bedford will be glad to see the back of Wardy as he likes scoring against them (Sm115)

Definitely - he's been a great player at this level, and a constant thorn in our side. As rotherhamtillIdie mentioned, he's the best all-round Hooker in the division, and definitely deserves his chance in the Prem. Good luck to him ! (Sm53)

Posted by: Trojan Pirate (IP Logged)
Date: 13 April, 2012 13:48

Gareth_Blues,

Theres plenty of hookers in Penzance,( have you sampled the nightlife) not sure wardy is the best!

Date: 13 April, 2012 16:35

Cornishbob
I was hoping to make it down for the game on Sunday, but got let down by one of your Cornish Maids.
As I live 300+ mles away it's quite a trip. If the Pirates make it through to the final, I'll come down and let you buy me a pint or four and we can shoot the sh*t and baffle each other with our untold rugby knowledge

Posted by: w0ll (IP Logged)
Date: 13 April, 2012 18:34

That could be worth a listen(Sm115)

Date: 13 April, 2012 19:30

Chief1 It'l be a pleasure, love to buy you a pint, but since you can't make it I'll raise a glass, cheers (Sm128)

Date: 14 April, 2012 10:21

The comradeship of rugby cannot be beaten or bettered. See you for the finals. Cheers!

Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Message ListLog In
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net