rugbyunion
Latest News:
Cornish Pirates Unofficial Forum - Senedh Gernewek Morladron

Martin Haag
Pirate15 (IP Logged)
10 April, 2012 16:20
Ex-England,Bath and Pirates player Martin Haag is to leave Bath at the end of the season where he has been their forwards coach,he also fulfilled that role with Bristol when they were in the premiership,his departure follows on from the departure of DOR Sir Ian McGeechan .

Re: Martin Haag
bolingey pirate (IP Logged)
10 April, 2012 16:29
I wonder ??? local boy !!!

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
10 April, 2012 16:30
Haag is a top bloke, but at present we have the best in Ian, so don't need him.

portreath21 (IP Logged)
10 April, 2012 16:32
Totally agree, i'd back our pack over Bath's anyday.

BertSolomon (IP Logged)
10 April, 2012 18:36
Quote:
*Stalwart
Haag is a top bloke, but at present we have the best in Ian, so don't need him.

Unless you're more in the know than most of us (in which case, why not share?!?) but at the current time, the coaching structure going forward seems to be unclear (Stirling was pretty non-committal in his interview, Dicky said that Davis would become "Head Coach" IIRC). If as seems reasonable to believe, Dicky is correct, there's a good chance that a new forwards coach will be appointed, Haag's credentials seem pretty good for the job to me.

Whether or not he does get the job, I can't believe I was daft enough to read about Haag earlier and not put 2 and 2 together! Thanks OP.

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
10 April, 2012 18:58
Ian is a forwards coach by trade - so why would we need another?

Skilly Beach (IP Logged)
11 April, 2012 07:57
When it was announced that Chris was going on a sabbatical next season, Ian and Harvey would take over the running of the team and all that involves, but undoubtedly Chris would be available to talk too.

Clearly that will no longer be the case as Chris will have a full time job to go to.

Either Ian or Chris had to become the head coach , as there has to be a figure head with with buck stopping somewhere.

Don't forget also there are cutbacks within the club and money will be saved with Chriss departure

Caradon Pirate (IP Logged)
11 April, 2012 18:07
Martin Haag back at the Mennaye in a coaching role, it's a nice thought, even if he was working alongside Ian, but there are the financial issues there to consider with two forwards coaches.

BertSolomon (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 00:47
Quote:
*Stalwart
Ian is a forwards coach by trade - so why would we need another?

By that logic, you are implying that the management were at best remiss in wasting money employing a "High Performance Manager" in the first place.

I agree with your point re: Ian, so maybe after last Saturday, it would be more sensible to bring Mark Ring in Chris' place, as the much overused phrase on this forum goes "once a Pirate....", if he can get a village team past the Pirates, what could he manage if he comes back home?

Yo-ho-ho (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 08:12
I did see Martin in St Ives last week!

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 08:33
"By that logic, you are implying that the management were at best remiss in wasting money employing a "High Performance Manager" in the first place. "

Not implying that at all. Chris has put in place a whole system and culture that was missing before. He concentrated on the big picture. Ian, too, will have learned a lot over the last couple of years so will be in a better position to carry that on as well as doing his thing with the forwards.
Can't see Ringo coming back - it was an unmitigated disaster last time he was at the helm. It's a bit daft to employ someone on the basis that they narrowly beat you in a cup game.

PNG Pirate (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 08:59
Martin Haag.Top player, top bloke and great Cornishman. Really hope he picks something up on the job front quickly. Not sure he fits in with where the Pirates currently are in terms of squad development and planning for the Prem. But once we are there it would be great to think there might be a role for him. A strong Premiership and European team, flying the flag for Cornish rugby and Cornish people, providing a platform and inspiration for Cornish players to play and work at home in top flight sport - now there's a great thought and one I am sure we all share and excitingly due to the dream and hard work of Dicky and many many others are actually within sight of achieving. Kernow bys Vyken !

Pirate15 (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 09:27
I'm sure it was mentioned a few months ago on a different thread that there was the possibility of a couple of the senior players performing a player/coach role and if that did happen it would assist Ian and Harvey on the day to day management of the squad.
Step up Gavin and Paves?

cheshire exile (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 09:28
I suspect Bert was taking the p*ss, in fact BS was talking BS ...
PS. Latest from the Welsh premiership last night;
Pontypridd 51 Cross Keys 22.

LadockPirate (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 12:23
Cross Keys keeping players fresh for this weekends SWALEC semi final.........

http://www.smiliegenerator.de/s31/smilies-25821.png

Landlubber (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 12:04
Quote:
Yo-ho-ho
I did see Martin in St Ives last week!
He was seen there again this weekend and, when asked, replied that he was house hunting. I think he must be getting a local job to pay his mortgage! I wonder where?

HakePirate (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 12:27
I would not draw any conclusions from house hunting in St Ives - many houses in town are not owned by people who live here. Just a fact, not a political statement!

Speculation aside, Ian and Harvey seem to be a formidable resource. Another exciting era following the Chris Stirling legacy.

Landlubber (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 14:34
HakePirate, I agree with you and was only messing about (as usual) with my earlier comment plus I've just read, on teletext, that Chris will continue to mentor Ian and Harvey, albiet from afar, by watching game dvd's and offering advice to his protégés - proving once again what a great bloke he is!

Perran Pirate (IP Logged)
17 April, 2012 15:24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net