rugbyunion
Latest News:
Unofficial Cornish Pirates Fans Forum

Good Luck London Taffs
ascloseasthis (IP Logged)
28 June, 2012 10:42
Hope they win, and it opens up the Premiership to those who deserve to be there.

Re: Good Luck London Taffs
Landlubber (IP Logged)
28 June, 2012 10:58
My only concern for LW's future is that if they win their appeal they won't have the time or resources to strengthen up enough to survive so will come straight back down. Also, Newcastle have recruited well for playing in the Premiership so, if they do get relegated they will simply dominate the Championship thus going straight back up and, consequently, scuppering anyone elses' chances of winning promotion next season.

Skilly Beach (IP Logged)
28 June, 2012 13:15
Given the outcome of last seasons result it would be a brave man to predict next seasons winners with any certainty.

Pirates will do incredibly well to make the top four, a top 6 finish is more realistic

JANNER (IP Logged)
28 June, 2012 13:45
Any team going up from the Championship may well struggle to stay there,and yes perhaps may come back down straightaway,but thats life !! Best of luck to London Welsh with their plans,i hope that they are allowed to go up to have a crack at the big boys !!!!

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
28 June, 2012 13:57
At the very least if LW win their appeal it will begin to open the gate in the ring-fence, even if it's only just a tiny bit.

ascloseasthis (IP Logged)
28 June, 2012 14:04
Sackly. They may not survive, but the back barrier would have been breached. Bristol did not go straight up and are still in the Championship. Newcastle may have recruited but none of the names trip off my tongue!! EVery season in the Championship is a tough one, and the Pirates have done so well in the last few season to accomplish what they have. The the nonsensical barriers to the Premiership are removed then who know what might happen. As has been said many times before, why should the Premiership demand that a club has an all purpose stadium to join. let them join and prosper, if the support dictates, both bums on seats and financially, then improve the ground. Went to Bath yesterday, no temporary seats yet, but soon there will be. Hypocritical nonsense, rules are there to be challenged if unfair, and that is what the RFU have in place.

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
28 June, 2012 14:18
It's very hard to see how, legally or morally, they can defend a scenario where the rules apply to some clubs, but not others. If LW are not promoted, then Wasps, Sale, L Irish, Bath etc should all be relegated.

paddytaf (IP Logged)
28 June, 2012 14:51
Thank you all for your support and comments regarding our appeal. It may well be true that if we are granted the right of promotion that we could come straight back down. This said however, i know that all of our current squad and i'm sure all new signings can't wait to play in the Aviva Premiership.

With regards to Newcastle going straight back up to the Aviva Premiership this will IMHO be more difficult than it has proved in past seasons. You never know The Cornish Pirates could win and be champions and if for any reason you have not met the Premierships rigorous requirements for promotion and we are bottom then we will stay where we are (how ironic would that be?)

Good luck to you guys for 2012/2013 and who knows we could still be seeing you next season. PADDYTAF. (Sm60)(Sm128)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/06/2012 14:53 by paddytaf.

Dotcom (IP Logged)
29 June, 2012 15:46
London Welsh say they don't expect a result until at least 17:00 today

http://cornish-pirates.com/rfu_championship_news

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/06/2012 15:46 by Dotcom.

1908 (IP Logged)
29 June, 2012 18:44
Let us hope that Welsh can at the very least be competitive.

The worst thing that could happen for all concerned is that they get hammered every game.This will give the powers that be the excuse to tighten the rules even more and make it harder for another Championship club to make the step up.

They will then be able to point to the Welsh's results and claim that they are changing the criteria....or ring fencing if you like....for the good of the game.

I fear that it's going to be even harder for clubs like Bristol and Pirates to go forward on the next leg of their journey if Welsh play in the Premiership next season.

That said,I wish them all the luck in the world.They are going to need it!

1spy (IP Logged)
29 June, 2012 18:58
London Welsh say on their website they will need to recruit new players and 6000 fans to sustain their position in the Premier.Getting 6000 new fans is a tough call.Their turnout was much lower than the Pirates at the Final at their new ground in Oxford.I wish them well and hope the RFU have the guts to sort out the shambolic "Criteria" rules for the future.

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
29 June, 2012 20:49
The right decision was made, but it is hard to see how Welsh can make this work financially. Hope I'm wrong and they can do enough to stay up and make a go of it long term.
We will miss our trips to ODP, though - always a highlight.

Hoopsy (IP Logged)
30 June, 2012 00:49
Is it still London Welsh ?? or Oxford Welsh now ??

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
30 June, 2012 16:36
"London" Wasps don't play in London - so no different.

w0ll (IP Logged)
30 June, 2012 17:43
I think Hoopsy was teasing (Sm115)

Can we have a Stadium now please? Cornwall needs One!

SIGN THE PETITION at [www.petitionbuzz.com]

FOLLOW Stadium For Cornwall at Twitter - [twitter.com]

FOLLOW CornwallNeedsaStadium at Twitter - [twitter.com]

#CORNWALLNEEDSASTADIUM T shirt - [www.dirtydogrugby.co.uk]

LIKE it at Facebook - [www.facebook.com]

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
30 June, 2012 23:20
Naughty Hoopsy!

BertSolomon (IP Logged)
02 July, 2012 17:13
Quote:
*Stalwart
At the very least if LW win their appeal it will begin to open the gate in the ring-fence, even if it's only just a tiny bit.

Bit of a cross post, but as I have said in another thread, I believe the opposite could be true I'm afraid. Should LW turn out to be whipping boys, then the normal ring fencing brigade will be out in force saying that this proves the gap is too large to bridge and that allowing promotion ruins the competitive integrity of the league, particularly if Welsh fail to attract the kinds of crowds they need.

My message to any Championship rugby supporter (or any rugby supporter at all for that matter) would be to get behind LW and offer them any kind of support you can. Their survival next season (on the pitch, not the court room) has got to be in the best interests of the game (IMO of course).

SJP (IP Logged)
02 July, 2012 18:36
Surely Exeter Chiefs are the counter argument regarding the gap between the Championship and the PRL being too large to bridge.

EDF Trophy Winners 2007
B & I Cup Winners 2010

paddytaf (IP Logged)
02 July, 2012 18:44
As things stand at the moment we LONDON WELSH will of course be considered the whipping boys for next season. However, although we will begin our life in the Prem from a massive disadvantage ie late player recruitment & not having ever been in the Premiership i think these negatives could become positives. Remember FRANCE in the World Cup (Poor World Cup until the final) then nearly won it. PADDYTAF. (Sm60)(Sm128)

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
02 July, 2012 19:22
It's the off-field barrier to promotion that has been breached - I don't see why the issue of whether LW can be competitive in the Prem has anything to do with that. As Sancreed says, Exeter have effectively put that argument to bed. The top clubs in the Championship could definitely compete with the bottom of the Prem, especially given adequate time to bolster their squads before the season starts.
As Paddytaff says, the delays in them being given their rightful place in the Prem have put them at a huge disadvantage, so basing any idea of ring fencing on that would be pretty ludicrous.
Good luck to LW, let's hope they can turn over a few teams and survive. I do worry about the financial viability, though, considering they'll (presumably) have to fork out large amount of cash to rent the Kassam before they even start paying the usual outgoings on salaries etc.

BertSolomon (IP Logged)
04 July, 2012 18:33
Quote:
Sancreed Pirate
Surely Exeter Chiefs are the counter argument regarding the gap between the Championship and the PRL being too large to bridge.

I couldn't agree more (although Exeter had spent their time at level 2 developing a model to sustain their level one status), but do you think it means that said usual suspects wouldn't be trotting the argument out?

w0ll (IP Logged)
04 July, 2012 19:27
I do Bert. Just happen to think there have been enough support shown from respected faces within the game to counter any future ringfencing cries.

Note who Welsh have in their opening game...Tigers at the Kassam. Welcome to the jungle(Sm115)

Can we have a Stadium now please? Cornwall needs One!

SIGN THE PETITION at [www.petitionbuzz.com]

FOLLOW Stadium For Cornwall at Twitter - [twitter.com]

FOLLOW CornwallNeedsaStadium at Twitter - [twitter.com]

#CORNWALLNEEDSASTADIUM T shirt - [www.dirtydogrugby.co.uk]

LIKE it at Facebook - [www.facebook.com]

BertSolomon (IP Logged)
04 July, 2012 23:47
Quote:
w0ll
I do Bert. Just happen to think there have been enough support shown from respected faces within the game to counter any future ringfencing cries.
Note who Welsh have in their opening game...Tigers at the Kassam. Welcome to the jungle(Sm115)

I hope you're right, maybe the scenario described won't be the excuse, but I'd be amazed not to hear the "r" word trotted out over the next 12 months for one reason or another.

SJP (IP Logged)
05 July, 2012 09:03
I'm sure it will be Bert, however there will be at least one convert to the no ring fencing brigade namely Newcastle. (Sm109)

EDF Trophy Winners 2007
B & I Cup Winners 2010

Landlubber (IP Logged)
05 July, 2012 09:06
Just heard that LW want to sign Gavin Henson! If only he was as good as he used to be and not so, as made to look by the media, up himself!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net