rugbyunion
Latest News:
Unofficial Cornish Pirates Fans Forum

Rugby Paper
Pirate15 (IP Logged)
09 January, 2017 20:18
There is an article in this weeks rugby paper about the Pirates and their views on the 'Buddy Up' system proposed for the Championship. On the S4C website blog is confirmation from CEO Peter Child that the Pirates want to retain our identity,be masters of our own destiny and keep the D/R agreement with the Chiefs.Very pleasing to note that our average gate is up 30% on last season which in my opinion is due to the style of rugby we are seeing at the Mennaye. It also mentions our desire to go for promotion but that is all tied into the stadium for Cornwall. A positive message from the club who will have to consider the RFU/PRL 'buddy up' proposal when it is presented to the clubs in about 2 weeks time.
[stadium4cornwall.blogspot.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2017 20:20 by Pirate15.

Re: Rugby Paper
cheshire exile (IP Logged)
09 January, 2017 20:38
A very encouraging read. The RFU "plan" is astonishing in that it apparently encourages clubs to abandon hope of promotion and act as a nursery for Premiership Academy players. It is difficult to see why supporters would identify with such a "club."
Ambition is still alive at the Pirates , which is heartening news .

northseapirate (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 10:18
And then what happens below the Championship? Is all ambition and endeavour from clubs and young players dashed? Look at how many local lads have come into the Pirates over these past few years; will they be replaced by a promising Geordie/Tyke/Cockney signed by our 'Partner/Master?

Imperfect though it may be the Championship is a good competition. The clubs who have provided many Premiership and international players now need some respect, acknowledgment and fair funding from above.

I support Cornish Pirates, not a 'Tesco Select BOGOF'.......mind I would be happy if Tesco were our sponsors...(other supermarkets are available)

MEP

"It isn't failure that diminishes your effort, you are diminished only by failing to make the effort"

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 11:31
In the press today it says that top tickets for Eng v Wales at Twickers in the Six Nations will be 130 - up from 106. It would cost 520 for a family of four in the best seats. Pure greed - why shouldn't some of this filter down to the clubs below the Premiership?

Perran Pirate (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 12:40
This is the problem that has emerged now 'clubs' are 'owned' by individuals and run as a business rather than a proper rugby club.

Obviously clubs have to be run in a sustainable way financially - but that is perfectly compatible with being a 'proper rugby club ', so long as everyone sticks to the agreed parameters. When they don't ( L.W.!) there is no longer a level playing field. ( no offence to Bedford ! )

With the 'top tier' of clubs nowadays, ambition on the field ( i.e. winning stuff ) tends to be driven by the need to make a profit at any cost - hence, for example, the sacking of coaches in football fashion as soon as a team hits a bad patch.

There is a world of difference between a 'rich benefactor ' , who has only the club's best interests at heart, and an 'owner' who only sees a profit. ( I accept that there are plenty of shades of grey in between those extremes ! )

I wonder how many championship outfits are still 'rugby clubs ' in the purest sense of the words.?? Anyone know ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net