Latest News:
Unofficial Cornish Pirates Fans Forum

YC V Pirates
Pirate15 (IP Logged)
17 February, 2017 11:44
Cornish Pirates:
15 Toby May, 14 Alex O’Meara, 13 Tom Hendrickson, 12 Nicolas De Battista
11 Kyle Moyle, 10 Laurence May, 9 Alex Day
1 Marlen Walker, 2 Tom Channon, 3 Paul Andrew, 4 Chris Morgan (capt)
5 Brett Beukeboom, 6 Dan Lee, 7 Alex Cheesman, 8 Tom Duncan.

Replacements:
16 Jack Innard, 17 Jack Andrew, 18 Josh Caulfield, 19 Jake Parker, 20 Mike Pope, 21 Will Cargill, 22 Max Bodilly.

Match Officials:
Referee: Matthew O'Grady
Assistants: John Meredith, Phil Watters
Assessor: Darren Gamage

[cornish-pirates.com]

Re: YC V Pirates
*Stalwart (IP Logged)
17 February, 2017 14:10
Strong team, good bench. C'mon Pirates!

MullionPirate (IP Logged)
17 February, 2017 19:17
Long weekend in the Peaks, so will be sneaking along to the game on Saturday afternoon...
Cmon you Pirates!!!

cornishbob (IP Logged)
17 February, 2017 23:05
Be hard pushed to get a result up there, but it can be done and if anyone outside of Irish can win in't Yorkshire it'll be us. Good luck lads and whatever the result we know you'll give 110% as you always do.

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
18 February, 2017 15:49
Half time YC 17 Pirates 21. 2 tries for Tom Duncan (one interception from 35 yards out) and another interception for Kyle Moyle. Both YC tries from rolling mauls. Lots of penalties against us keeping us under pressure, but excellent effort so far.

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
18 February, 2017 16:09
YC had a drop goal to make it 20-21. Pirates get their 4th try (Alex Day) converted by L.May 20 -28!!!

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
18 February, 2017 16:26
Yc 20 Pirates 42 - 6 converted tries, this is not a typo!

DickyMilt (IP Logged)
18 February, 2017 16:26
This is a joy to listen to!!

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
18 February, 2017 16:48
Final score 27-42. 5 points for us, nothing for YC. What a result! Well done you Pirates!

Exile_Dave (IP Logged)
18 February, 2017 16:55
L Irish fan in peace, congrats on the win. Fantastic result for you guys and in with a shout of the play offs.

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

cornish cockney (IP Logged)
18 February, 2017 16:58
Well first thought was unbelievable, but then with this well balanced and capable squad I think nothing suprises me these days.well done Gavin, Paves and the boys!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/02/2017 17:00 by cornish cockney.

Cowship Pirate (IP Logged)
18 February, 2017 17:07
That result has rejuvenated me to get back to the gardening.

Pirate15 (IP Logged)
18 February, 2017 17:11
Incredible result against 2nd place YC and thoroughly deserved by the sounds of it. This was a huge result for us and keeps us on the edge of the play offs with 2 home games coming up against Rotherham and then Jersey.
Well done Gav, Paves and the players have a safe journey home.

18 February, 2017 17:12
Shame that ET won against Richmond , 5 points as well.

cornishbob (IP Logged)
18 February, 2017 17:57
It just gets better and better. Didn't think for one moment we would win so convincingly today. Well done lads. To top that Paves let slip that we have retained most of the squad already for next year with just a few contracts still to be negotiated. Expect a flurry of announcements v soon.

1908 (IP Logged)
18 February, 2017 19:20
Brilliant result.......even if it fecked up my score prediction!!!

Can't wait for next week.

MullionPirate (IP Logged)
18 February, 2017 19:30
What a performance, particularly in the second half. YC were poor, but they were battered by a near-perfect second 40 mins. We tackled our hearts out and were clinical with our opportunities. A sign of our superiority was at 20-42 with the clock on zero and a chance to just boot it off the park. Instead we kept the ball in play. I've felt for a while that when it all clicked someone would get a hammering from us. Well, it was today!!
COYP!!

Haxbytyke (IP Logged)
18 February, 2017 19:49
Yorkshire fan here. Congratulation on a well deserved win today. We didn't play well, and gave you a bit of a leg up with your first 2 tries, but you outplayed us in the second half, and fully deserved the win. Good luck for the rest of the season.

COME ON LEEDS.
We've been through it all together.

almostatyke (IP Logged)
18 February, 2017 20:44
And seconded here. Once you sniffed we were not doing so well you hunted us down: well done! Best defence I have seen at Headingley in a long while.
Good luck!

tintagel (IP Logged)
18 February, 2017 21:08
Thanks Almo and Hax,much appreciated. We are getting better and better and the group is committed. Interesting to see our smaller pack match or dominate much bigger packs. We have two very talented coaches. Watch our progress.

wallwuz (IP Logged)
18 February, 2017 22:59
We were almost perfect today

It was our game plan, tackling with great line speed and in pairs and clever kicking that forced Leeds ( which is in Yorkshire) into error after error right from the start

our set piece was spot on and yes they had huge forwards but the back row we faced were slow and not as mobile as we were on a good surface.

We have a great away record , perhaps because when we play away the surface is better than on the overused home pitch in PZ?

Leeds were very honest in defeat but their players looked stunned that we gave them no room today to play the running game they so love.

I have said from the start of the season that we will finish top four, this squad and the coaches are good enough to get us there, how exciting

Hard to choose a MoM today , everyone played a part and it was great to see a backs break supported by two props with Marlen passing to Jack for a 40 yard ( Well, 10 yard) run in for outperform SIXTH try

One of the best rugby performances I have seen from any side this season , proud of the lads and Gavin and Paves.

Dotcom (IP Logged)
18 February, 2017 23:11
Phil Westren's Report

It is 10 years to the month since the Cornish Pirates recorded a memorable EDF Energy National Trophy cup tie win away to Yorkshire Tyke – then called Leeds Tykes. Played on a freezing Friday night, that particular victory, 18-17, remains forever in the memory, whilst a decade later here was another result to place in that particular bank.

For this 2nd versus 5th contest in the Greene King IPA Championship, the Cornish Pirates expected a tough challenge. Indeed, to underline the task ahead a last win against their Yorkshire opponents had been a 21-8 result at the Mennaye Field in October, 2012.

There were just two changes in the Cornish Pirates starting XV from the one that featured against London Scottish last time out, and both were in the backs. Alex O’Meara slotted in on the wing and Tom Hendrickson was selected at outside centre

In springlike conditions at Headingley Carnegie it was the Cornish Pirates who had the first chance of points, but fly-half Laurence May was frustratingly luckless with his first kick at goal.

Read More At: www.cornish-pirates.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/02/2017 10:38 by Dotcom.

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
18 February, 2017 23:14
Very generous of the YC guys to come on and congratulate us - thanks guys.
Can't agree about the "overused" Mennaye, though, wallwuz - it's in very good condition, best I've ver sen it at this time of year.

Phil JDW (IP Logged)
18 February, 2017 23:38
Please note my accidental typo in the report. In the first paragraph it says Leeds Carnegie, when it should of course be Leeds Tykes as I have recalled.
Best wishes, Phil W

northyorkspirate (IP Logged)
19 February, 2017 08:39
It was a brilliant day out in the Yorkshire sunshine yesterday with the boys defensive line being up in Carnegies faces throughout the game which explains to me why Leeds appeared not to play too well. Quite honestly we didn't give them the opportunity. A great all round performance and well deserved win and to top it off my 10 year old grandson was well impressed when Toby May shook his hand after the game and asked him his name. Great stuff see you at the Mennaye next week

19 February, 2017 09:13
What a way to get the 42 points-- 6 converted tries.

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
19 February, 2017 09:41
Wish we could have been there - you give us a great picture, Michael, of what to must have been like. Your grandson will never forget that moment with Toby. Look forward to catching up next weekend.

Surrey Pirate (IP Logged)
19 February, 2017 10:14
Outstanding result - well done boys!

cheshire exile (IP Logged)
19 February, 2017 12:32
Great result and with some home games coming up, top 4 looks a real prospect. Even more impressive considering Townshend and Simmonds are back with the Chiefs, a real tribute to our team spirit.

KarlMarx (IP Logged)
19 February, 2017 19:53
A fantastic result and performance by the sounds of it - Well done to the players and coaches - Both parts of an extremely talented group. I was disappointed that I couldn't make it up, but the result makes up for missing the game. (Sm109)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I may have been born a Londoner, and it may have taken me thirty six years to discover my destiny, but one thing is certain - I was born to be a Pirate! (Sm109)

2Harbourview (IP Logged)
20 February, 2017 22:41
Told you we needed to win our home games as we would get nothing at Leeds.
Happy to be the worst pundit on here

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
20 February, 2017 23:09
To be fair, you're not the only one who predicted that one incorrectly, 2Harbourview!

northseapirate (IP Logged)
21 February, 2017 09:45
All I wanted and expected was a 'respectable' performance, commitment and gallant loser bonus point - oh me of little faith!

Blown away by this fantastic group of youngsters. C'mon you Pirates!!

MEP

"It isn't failure that diminishes your effort, you are diminished only by failing to make the effort"

wigston pirate (IP Logged)
21 February, 2017 22:08
Apologies for getting on the line so late. A brilliant result and this team has the making of something to look forward to. Well done to all those in the background as well for nurturing such a great team effort and let it continue now till the end of the season.

(Sm109)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net