rugbyunion
Latest News:
Unofficial Cornish Pirates Fans Forum

A Review of the Season
Pirate15 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 19:57
A 6th place finish is a fantastic effort by the coaches and players particularly after our pre-season financial problems which must have affected our ability to retain and recruit players to the squad.
Close examination of our league games reveals that we lost 7 games by 7 points or less and in 3 of those we were in the lead into the last 5 minutes of the game.
Our results against the top 4 sides is very good, although we lost both games to London Irish we were competitive in both games.We lost at home to YC by 7 points but won away with a convincing bonus point score of 42-27. We drew at home to Ealing but recorded a great 22-16 away victory. We then did the double over 4th Place Doncaster,36-25 away and 34-17 at home.
In my opinion this shows that we are a squad with a great deal of potential and on our day we can compete with the best in this division. We need to show more consistency and develop the game management skill set to close out a game. If we can do this then we can certainly turn 6th into a top 4 finish.
The high number of players that we have retained for next season with a few targetted additions should mean that we can quickly build on the solid foundations put in place this year and look forward to 2017-18 with a great deal of optimism.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/04/2017 21:39 by Pirate15.

Re: A Review of the Season
Skilly Beach (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 20:59
It was a good outcome given the trials and tribulations of what went before both on and off the field and we have a lot to look forward to next season.

Yes there is a but.

The coaches and the players must set themselves the highest standards. A top four finish must be their goal and a b&I cup semi final. That said it wont be easy. all the clubs above them this year will be more competitive than this season and Bristol will be promoted by February.

To even move from 6th to 4th will require a huge effort. Our ability to see out games was seriously disappointing.

We have the ability to move on but we cannot continue to say we are a small/young squad, coaches still learning their trade. Time to step up now and I am confident they will

Humphry Davy (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 23:03
Judging by pre match comments and yesterday's team it is possible to have a good guess on departures but can anyone confirm who won't be with next year. Sadly I missed the game so missed out on the usual banter.

But more importantly is there any news on additions?

wigston pirate (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 16:08
Over the season I have unfortunately not been able to attend many fixtures compared to previous seasons and I must apologize for this and hope next season will be better. To finish were we did at the end of the season I was more than happy with considering the size squad and youth in the team. Yes there was some disappointment when we could have won a few more games for some unknown reason the lads stopped thinking and threw games away. I have no doubt Gavin and Alan will have had a few chosen words regarding these hiccups, so a full 80 minutes of concentration please next season especially if we are in front with about 10 minutes left. Hopefully a few more members into the team would be welcome and no doubt things will be going along in the background relating to this. For those who will be leaving this season I wish all the best and as always once a Pirate always.Those who have signed on again I hope look forward to the break they now have and will get some rest before the pre season training commences. Like Skilly, top 4 next season to aim for and not easy but beleve achievable.

Next season will be upon us before long and we will be standing at grounds with a slight chill going through the marrow of our bones. New location as well next season at Hartbury not to far from Leicester. Take care One and All especially Mick and Tess for your loyalty from Skipton and always a pleasure to meet up with.Alan, give my regards to Cath and hope to see you about next season as well, Oh and Janner as well a total Leg-End.

(Sm109)

JANNER (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 18:55
Thanks Dennis,always a good trip when you are there with the magic saying "Kick it " have a good summer my friend,as you soon

KarlMarx (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 13:56
Well said Dennis. Still lots to learn for the team, but they will learn quick, and I have no doubt that they will improve on this season.

I haven't made as many games as I normally would this season, but hopefully normal service will resume next term.

Have a great summer one and all.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I may have been born a Londoner, and it may have taken me thirty six years to discover my destiny, but one thing is certain - I was born to be a Pirate! (Sm109)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/04/2017 13:57 by KarlMarx.

northyorkspirate (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 16:44
Cheers Dennis. Always good to meet up with you and Jolly Roger. Look forward to 'Keeping an eye on that number 5' with you again next season. Enjoy your summer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net