rugbyunion
Latest News:
Unofficial Cornish Pirates Fans Forum

B&I Cup Final
Pirate15 (IP Logged)
22 April, 2017 10:13
Muster 'A' 29 Jersey 28
Despite leading 18-7 at half time Jersey lost in the B&I cup final last night in Cork to a great 2nd half comeback by Munster.

Re: B&I Cup Final
wigston pirate (IP Logged)
22 April, 2017 15:10
Well done to Harvey and his team and only just losing at the end. Sad thing this was been played as a low account final as mentioned in TRP mby Harvey himself. The RRFU do need to get this contest sponsored with some decent advertising behind it.

(Sm109)

1spy (IP Logged)
23 April, 2017 09:46
Why not go back to the old EDF CUP format.

Skilly Beach (IP Logged)
23 April, 2017 10:30
Why would sponsorship draw people to it. There is little interest in the Championship/B&I from the public

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
23 April, 2017 11:15
Quote:
Skilly Beach
Why would sponsorship draw people to it. There is little interest in the Championship/B&I from the public
The RFU need to raise the profile of The Championship. It's a good product, some great rugby played, but it's not given any help. The rugby coverage on TV barely acknowledges its existence. There must be media people at the RFU (probably highly paid) who could encourage the TV companies to give a bit more time to second tier rugby.

Skilly Beach (IP Logged)
23 April, 2017 11:53
We have been here time and time again with this. Yes the few of us who turn out to see it enjoy it but in the main its a bunch of old knackers 50/60 plus, but sponsors want a return on their investment. Why would throwing money at it improve it. Simply there are not enough people wanting to watch it however good we think it is.

Im not been particularly controversial imo

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
23 April, 2017 15:39
Don't agree - the entertainment value is just as good as Premiership rugby - it needs to be marketed properly.

Skilly Beach (IP Logged)
23 April, 2017 20:02
What form would this marketing take to attract people.

Notwithstanding LW fell out the league halfway through this season the total attendance for the whole league was 184K,last season it was 236k, and the season before 319k. Interest is falling like a stone , just like this forum.

It sounds negative but that the reality.There is little future for full time professional rugby o/s the Prem

cornishbob (IP Logged)
24 April, 2017 07:38
The theory is simple enough. People will always go to or try a product they don't know about because it was sold to them. The RFU and some clubs aren't doing enough to simply sell the 'product'. Look at the hype surrounding the AP and across the water the FPL. The crowds turn up because it's advertised properly and sold effectively. The Championship is simply being used to bring academy players on or gives older or recovering injured players game time. I suspect when our Kiwi connection see how things are handled over here they will be amazed at how little is done to promote what in essence is a first class product. We know it's a huge opportunity being missed but as a whole the Championship needs to be marketed as an exciting and affordable way to see top class rugby. For me the clubs could play a bigger part by improving their facilities particularly the toilets and food outlets and making the matchday experience a better experience for all and one which people will want to return to and become loyal to their chosen club.

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
24 April, 2017 09:23
Agree completely, Cornishbob. The problem for many clubs is that finances are so tight it's almost impossible to invest serious money into upgrading facilities. This is certainly one area where the RFU could help with grants etc. They are awash with money, most of which stays in Twickenham.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net