rugbyunion
Latest News:
Unofficial Cornish Pirates Fans Forum

S4C Update
Pirate15 (IP Logged)
12 May, 2017 12:34
There is an update about the stadium on the club website. There will be an update on the coaches visit to NZ next week.
[www.cornish-pirates.com]

Re: S4C Update
bolingey pirate (IP Logged)
12 May, 2017 14:56
Thank you Pirate 15. The update makes interesting reading, BUT still begs the question that many supporters are dying to ask....."when will the first sod be cut at Langarth?"
Can we expect to see any progress in this respect during this Summer, (as has been mooted on more than one occasion?)
I do hope I can get a sensible reply to a simple question, and NOT be shot downs in flames like so many other correspondents on this site have suffered over the past few years.

Pirate15 (IP Logged)
12 May, 2017 17:29
BBC sport is reporting that the stadium will not be starting until Spring 2018 at the earliest.
"The statement said building will "hopefully" start next spring, with work on the stadium on the outskirts of Truro taking 14 months."
[www.bbc.co.uk]
I have read the article on the club website and there is no mention of any start date.
Can someone clarify what is the actual position with regard to a possible start date for the stadium.

AggiePirate (IP Logged)
12 May, 2017 21:32
I have a Cornish shovel and a long wheelbase land rover. Be happy to cut some sods up.

13 May, 2017 06:19
I'm more confused than ever!!!

rgre (IP Logged)
13 May, 2017 18:14
I am ( personally) targeting spring for the start date.
We have appointed a project leader, we are also shortly confirming the architects and we have a day together at the end of this month where myself , Colin and Dallas Fisher will be sitting down with the project leader, the architects, Martin Tucker, Peter Masters et al to brain bash stadium requirements.
It is six years since I first contributed towards the design work along with INOX, the college and the council.
That input took us to the design level for the planning approval stage - which was obviously successful.
It is now opportune to get our ducks in a row starting with the next design stages/ project leader , hence our meeting on 31st May.
Shareholders are being invited to join us in the evening to get a briefing,so if you want to be involved and join in then the obvious way to do this is to become a shareholder. We have about £120,000 worth of unsold shares in the pot.
Contact Rebecca or Tom at the club if you are interested- minimum £2k.
Rebecca.daniell@cornish-pirates.com or tom.magill@cornish-pirates.com
RGRE

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
13 May, 2017 20:25
Good to hear that things are moving on, we are all desperate for work to start. Look forward to the meeting on the 31st for the latest progress report.

cornishbob (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 07:43
Great news Dicky and thank you for keeping us in the picture. Can't wait for it to start.

Pirate15 (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 08:17
Great news Dicky and thanks for the update. I'm really looking forward to the meeting and to hear more about the progress of the S4C.

1spy (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 11:26
It was reported today that Cormac have just finished a Roundabout in Bude it has taken 3 years and 2 years late.Let us hope they perform better with the infrastructure at Langarth.

14 May, 2017 16:32
Thanks Dicky for the update....that was all we wanted to know.
By the way, I'm sure management won't be using CORMAC, will they????

Someone told me that CORMAC meant:-
C ouldn't
O rganise
R oad
M maintenace
A cross
C ornwall

......only joking!!!

AggiePirate (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 21:06
CLAPPED
OUT
RIGHT
MINGING
ABSOLUTE
CR*P!

Pirate15 (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 21:40
I'm sure Cormac will be doing the access roads onto the site as part of the S106 agreement. It's not right that these jobs never go out to tender as they are an arms length company of Cornwall Council.Unfortunately we have no choice in the matter as they always get the contract.

Skilly Beach (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 07:38
Anyone know the hard working men and women of CORMAC who are probably your neighbours?

WaikatoCoal (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 08:25
Dicky - as always you have summarised the situation -- v-well - "Thumbs Up" ( the software can't cope with symbols here !! ) - looking forward to seeing you in just under 2 weeks -- lots to be done -- by sounds of it -- I hope we don't have to build too many roundabouts !!

Dotcom (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 12:39
thumbs down Thumbs up etc. can be found with the Smilies (Sm42)

Eastanglianpirate (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 12:51
Roundabouts? Just bleddy straight roads - one from Penzance, one from Falmouth, one from St Austell direction, one from Camborne/Redruth , one from Newquay way direct to the ground should do it. Good enough for the Romans! Civil engineering? I could have been a contender! 😉

Trurotommo (IP Logged)
07 August, 2017 17:48
Is there any further news on the SC4 yet?

SJP (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 08:43
Quote:
Trurotommo
Is there any further news on the SC4 yet?

It'll happen Dreckly, this is Cornwall you know.(Sm128)

EDF Trophy Winners 2007
B & I Cup Winners 2010

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 08:18
At the meet the players event last night Peter Childs said that April is the starting date.

Skilly Beach (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 12:46
Stalwart,

Is that next April. If so another 3 years at the Mennaye

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 12:53
Yes - that has been the plan for a while - see RGRE's post on May 13th (above).
Hopefully two more season at The Mennaye; but if it's three, so be it - we've already waited 11 years so another one is hardly a disaster. Nothing to stop us moving mis-season, I suppose, if the stadium is completed and ready. I think most of us will be pretty chuffed, to say the least, if the diggers go in in April.

cornish cockney (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 14:10
From what i heard everything is on plan for April start to be in stadium for start of September 2019.Yippee!!!

Pirate15 (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 14:39
CEO Peter Childs said last night at the 'meet the players' evening.
Truro & Penwith college and Truro City were both signed up and the funding was in place for stage 1 build which would be along the lines of Exeter i.e one big stand. Other points mentioned were by the end of September 2017 final design should be agreed. Contracts that go out to tender agreed by the end of the year. The build will start in April 2018 and the stadium will be ready for September 2019.

cornishbob (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 06:24
Am pinching myself here, still can't believe that it's actually going to become a reality after all this time. Many many thanks and congratulations to everyone who were involved, stuck with it and finally saw it through. (Sm109)

AggiePirate (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 06:51
Strangely however there is nothing on either the Pirates or S4C websites....

10 August, 2017 17:02
Strange indeed "Aggie"......you'd think this was major news !!

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 18:11
It is reported in the Meet The Players write up - but quite low key.

Perran Pirate (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 09:06
There are probably good reasons - but I can't see how it will take 18 months to build a little stadium ?

( then, I've never built one, it has to be said.... )

1spy (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 11:47
Building roads and installing utilities electricity sewerage drainage etc takes months. Good example Cormac time scale for building one roundabout at Penryn is going to take 18 months.

11 August, 2017 15:01
I agree Ispy, but amazingly, CORMAC managed to sort out the Coverack flood damage in only a week. I admit that was a repair and not a new build, but somewhere between one week and 18 months, there ought to be a quicker deadline!!!......perhaps it depends on how hard the organisation is "kicked"!!

1spy (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 10:35
Boris Johnsons "London Garden Bridge" scrapped costing the UK taxpayer £60 million.Cornwall could have used a couple of million of that wasted money for the S4C as Cameron promised when he visited Penzance before the 2015 election.

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 13:01
Quote:
1spy
Boris Johnsons "London Garden Bridge" scrapped costing the UK taxpayer £60 million.Cornwall could have used a couple of million of that wasted money for the S4C as Cameron promised when he visited Penzance before the 2015 election.
Politicians of parties promise a lot of stuff and don't deliver - par for the course I'm afraid.

1spy (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 13:49
Stalwart i agree but its sad.

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 14:57
It is sad, but it's best not to believe anything any of them say (especially in the lead up to an election).

Perran Pirate (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 12:02

Pirate Fred (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 16:20
Another 3 years? hope there`s a good few young supporters following us oldies because there won`t be many of us left by the time the stadium, let alone the premirship, is ready for the Pirates. .

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 16:34
Quote:
Pirate Fred
Another 3 years? hope there`s a good few young supporters following us oldies because there won`t be many of us left by the time the stadium, let alone the premirship, is ready for the Pirates. .
Good reason to stay alive a bit longer!

cornish cockney (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 21:26
I thought it was starting next April 2018 to be playing in by start of season September 2019 so that's 2yrs 😃. Keep the faith people.

Cowship Pirate (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 06:58
I do not believe it will be built until a bloke turns up with a spade in his hand-- certainly not in my lifetime.

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 08:16
We'll be there, dreckly!

rgre (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 11:49
Cowship dear chap my family thinks I am nuts at the age of 71 trying to drive this forward with good people like Mark Evans.
The reason there is nothing officially being put in the media is that we are agreed that we have had it with previous timing statements that had no basis in fact.
Everyone involved is working hard to:-
1. Ensure the funding is in place
2. Get an updated cost
3. Sort out a Stadco agreement for usage and financial security.
4. Embrace a risk analysis at the same time.

We are edging closer on this I assure you and everyone is on the same page.

This is a big project involving roads, water,sewerage and power all of which have to be co-ordinated and funded - and that's outside the £10m funding required for the superstructure build.

You can't just turn up with a JCB - I wish we could,
Stay positive as if we lose our enthusiasm we can turn out the lights.
Look at the squad if you need encouragement,
RGRE

17 August, 2017 16:27
Thanks Dickie....that's the sort of common sense report that we all wanted to read.
Mind you, as a fellow "1945 baby", you can't blame the occasional comment expressing concern that some of us might just be too old to enjoy the new stadium.

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 16:37
Keep the faith!

northseapirate (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 08:12
At 67, I seem to be one of the youngsters here!

Last week at Tregony Heavy Horse, doing my bit for Truro Lions, I met a bloke with his son who was a bit chubby and big for his age (11ish) and we talked rugby. Father ecstatic that son has discovered the greatest game, joined a club, trained every week, (front row clearly) and was now a changed, for the better, young man.

Going beyond Pirates (sorry Dickie) but I always envisioned young players from clubs and schools running out onto the pitch at the S4C to play in their County age group finals in front of a good crowd, and how inspirational that would be to other youngsters.

And of course seeing Pirates stuff a series of Premiership clubs would be nice too!
Getting closer.....and yes, RGRE, a good looking squad (apart from Paves, unless you like the rugged look)

MEP

"It isn't failure that diminishes your effort, you are diminished only by failing to make the effort"

Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 17:03
Worcester Warriors fan in peace.

Great to see that plans are still moving forward and I hope that the start and end dates are realised. My partner and I and many friends always enjoyed our visits to Penzance on our two visits to the Championship and it will be great to see Pirates in a stadium that should put the club on a firmer footing and support a campaign for promotion to the Premiership.

Best wishes to RGRE, his colleagues and the Pirates family in their continued endeavours to move to the S4C.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
21 September, 2017 17:14
Thanks Brummigembertie. We hear this from many supporters from Northampton, Bristol, Quins etc. S4C will be a major boost to the Cornish economy and give the Pirates the momentum we need to keep the ball rolling. It drags on very slowly and every time we think we've cleared the last hurdle, something else is put in the way.

Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 17:21
You're welcome. I never understood the S4C opponents who tried to pretend that the stadium would not attract visitors from outside the County.

On all of our visits to the Mennaye we always stayed over and tried to spend money in local independent businesses, rather than national chains. The shortest stay was one night but their were a couple of games where we stayed for 4 nights and a week, visiting many local attractions, such as museums, craft centres, cider and ice-cream farms, a chocolate factory, etc.

All of these visits were outside of the traditional tourist season, which any local politician should be keen to encourage, I would have thought.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

Pirate15 (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 19:09
Cornwall Council cabinet have approved plans to buy land for housing development at Langarth Farm adjacent to the S4C. If these plans get the go ahead by the full council at a meeting later this month then it could help bring the stadium a step closer to becoming a reality.
The land purchase is part of the councils housing development programme to build 1000 new homes over the next 4 years.
[www.cornwalllive.com]

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 21:57
Always a worry when we are, once again, at the mercy of Cornwall Council - fingers crossed this will be approved and we can AT LAST get the bleddy thing started!

Caradon Pirate (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 10:49
I have mixed feelings about this. I don't want this large scale housing development to take place and I do not buy this so called "affordable homes" malarkey. Obviously I want to see a stadium built but without the blackmail from Cornwall Council who are corrupt as ever. So basically it's all if you want a stadium you must have all these houses and retail park built alongside with the possible addition of more houses in the future. I don't trust them, who is to say said developments will go ahead without a stadium? I will believe it when I see that turf cut and the first foundations going in, even then a big doubt will be hanging over me.

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
14 November, 2017 14:36
Fact is, though, Caradon, the council have to build a lot of new housing to hit their target.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net