rugbyunion
Latest News:
Unofficial Cornish Pirates Fans Forum

A Look Back to 1967
Unofficial Pirates (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 12:01
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Re: A Look Back to 1967
cornishbob (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 13:02
Great memories for you Phil and many more. I remember the year well!!Yep you're right, when your memory goes that far back you know you're getting old(er). Great read and thanks for sharing.

Eastanglianpirate (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 20:27
Yes, we had a lot of highlights in the fixture list back then with the many touring teams, early season and at Easter usually. I was persuaded by our teacher, Rodda Williams at St Paul's, to get a schoolboy season ticket. Which ,subsidised by mum and dad, I duly did. It cost 2/6d. ( 12.5p for younger readers!). Hell, Phil , if you played against St Just in 1967 , you must only have been 15 or 16. In later years such a callow youth would have been eaten alive over at St Just!
Halcyon days indeed.

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 09:30
Easter was brilliant back in those days. There would often be four games on Ester Saturday - 1st XV, 2nd XV, 3rd XV and Colts. Then another game Easter Monday and yet another on the Tuesday evening.

Phil W (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 10:19
EAP - I was just 17 at the time and the one Colt representative. Good old 'Jethro', who later played for the Pirates, was in the St. Just team.

Mentioning age, 17 at St. Just was not a problem - I actually played on the wing and seem to remember scoring a try. In my first senior game, however, playing Stithians away, was perhaps just a little more daunting, on that occasion playing at prop!

Stalwart - you are right about the fantastic Easter fixtures. A word also for our terrific volunteer kitchen ladies who fed all the teams. Over the years they provided truly wonderful input - not just cooking and serving the meals but also covering the cost, besides keeping a healthy balance safely in the kitty!

Phil W

Phil W (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 12:54
Ah, I meant to mention that when I first played against Stithians I was actually just 15.

My good pal Colin Dymond and I played quite a few reserve games when we were in the Colts, as did another friend Dudley Richards who unfortunately broke a collar bone in that Stithians outing.

Phil W

DaveAitch (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 20:07
Thanks for posting that. A very interesting article. I wasn't in your neck of the woods in 1967 (and I'm not now), but I did see the Wales-England game. Had the ball bounced the other way, Keith Savage would have taken it and scored rather than Jarrett taking it and scoring for Wales: at least that's how I remember it. Roger Hosen was playing full back for England in that day.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net