rugbyunion
Latest News:
Unofficial Cornish Pirates Fans Forum

The Season Ahead
Newlyn Pirate (IP Logged)
19 July, 2017 12:25
It’s too quiet on this site so let’s have some thoughts and any gossip from other teams about the season ahead.
It appears to me that Titans and Ealing are spending heavily on their squads so they hope to do well, Jersey are loosing half their squad so may take a while to gel while the rest including the pirates appear to be just replacing natural “ wastage”

Re: The Season Ahead
*Stalwart (IP Logged)
19 July, 2017 14:05
Ealing look like they'll be very strong, not so sure about Roth. Let's hope Pirates can kick on, we were better than I expected last season and were very close to top 4. With a bit better game management we can be a match for most teams I reckon. We need to be lucky with injuries as we don't have a massive squad. Nottingham might struggle, and I don't know what to expect from Scottish. Donny don't seem short of funds so they'll probably be top 4. Jersey seem to be splashing a bit of cash, too, so they'll be pretty competitive. With the "A" League being expanded to twice as many games clubs that rely heavily on dual registered players might find it harder (be interesting to see who we get from Exeter). So Bedford might not be as strong as in the past. Richmond will have learned from last season and should be OK. Hartpury will be tougher than many think, I reckon, but whether they can stay up remains to be seen. Leeds Yorkies don't seem to have recruited much and maybe the finances are tighter there than they've been in the past. Bristol will be far too strong and will probably have the title sown up before Xmas. Have I left anyone out? With my rose tinted glasses on I'll go for top 4 of Bris, Ealing, Donny and Pirates, with Jersey possibly taking one of those places.

Newlyn Pirate (IP Logged)
19 July, 2017 15:41
we have "splashed some cash" in the past ourselves but if last year is anything to go by having a stable team can be just as important.

Pirate15 (IP Logged)
19 July, 2017 16:45
I agree with Stalwart although I'm not sure that we have the strength in depth to be a top 4 side. I think consistency is key for us this year, we need to back up some excellent away wins with results against the so called lesser sides.Last season we won on the road at Doncaster, Leeds and Ealing yet lost to Richmond twice and Rotherham.

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
19 July, 2017 17:59
Quote:
Newlyn Pirate
we have "splashed some cash" in the past ourselves but if last year is anything to go by having a stable team can be just as important.
When we did have a big budget and a very high quality squad we made two playoff finals - so cash does make a difference. Imagine our current squad with, say 4 or 5 really high quality players in key positions added - they would be able to challenge even the might of Bris!

old prop steve (IP Logged)
20 July, 2017 11:13
We can be reasonably optimistic that we should do better than last season for several reasons.

The squad has stayed largely together - only major loss was Tyler Gendall and he disappeared long before the season ended. Therefore both the team and the coaches are now a year more experienced and battle hardened. Last year a certain naive inability to close out games cost us dearly on several occasions and hopefully this will be rectified.

The signings look on paper to be good although would have liked to see two rather than only one lock forward signed. With that in mind, despite the Premiership A league expansion, it would be great if we can get a bit more from Josh Caulfield who, as a tight forward and thus unlike Townsend and Simmonds, is probably not quite ready for Premiership rugby just yet but could be a real dynamic presence around the field at Championship level.

Furthermore the club was in pretty bad financial and organisational chaos behind the scenes last August but things seem to be on a very much sounder footing now.

Onwards and upwards!

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
20 July, 2017 16:45
Sage words as usual, Steve.

cornish cockney (IP Logged)
20 July, 2017 23:28
No matter what i think we're going to have some fun this season.

Surrey Pirate (IP Logged)
21 July, 2017 17:05
Given apparent budget cuts, it would seem that Leeds will be slightly weakened this season. Additionally, due to the two stands down the sides of the pitch at Headingley being demolished for redevelopment, only one stand - the one behind the goal with seats in the top tier and terracing below - will be open there for 2017/18.

London Scottish seem to have far fewer full time players for the season as well.

wigston pirate (IP Logged)
30 July, 2017 16:16
Briz will be the champions as no one else can compete with the cash they have at their disposal. The remaining teams I would put Donny 2nd as they have been in this area for a couple of seasons now. Ealing come in at 3rd followed by possibly Jersey or Pirates coming in 4th. As mentioned Hartbury could be the surprise at the end of the of the season. What ever as mentioned by Cockney looking forward to the start of the new season and the trials and tribulations ahead.

(Sm109)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net