rugbyunion
Latest News:
Unofficial Cornish Pirates Fans Forum

Exeter Chiefs dual reg players
Eastanglianpirate (IP Logged)
29 July, 2017 20:39
Having just watched the superb Chiefs VII on TV with Bodilly and Hendrickson looking great - I really hope we get some good players sent down from Sandy Park again this coming season. I was inspired to have look at their website to see who those sevens players were - it reveals that two of their threequarters, Harry Strong and Pete Laverick, are to be dual registered with us this season. Too much to hope to have Bodilly, Hendrickson, Townsend, Simmonds, Innard and Caulfield again I suppose?

Re: Exeter Chiefs dual reg players
Pirate15 (IP Logged)
30 July, 2017 11:47
I agree the young Chiefs 7's squad were very impressive losing narrowly to a strong Wasps side in the semi-finals. Max Bodilly was a contender for the player of the tournament and on that form I doubt that we will see him at the Pirates. Townsend and Simonds are now in the Chiefs senior squad so we can forget them. Hendrickson, Caulfield and Innard could return along with 4 others who have links to us on the Chiefs website. Unfortunately with the increase in Premiership A league fixtures their availability to us could be limited.

old prop steve (IP Logged)
30 July, 2017 17:35
DR's are inevitably a mixed blessing. Obviously they make sound commercial sense to add to a small (28-30) playing roster and also are a godsend with injuries and and when a squad needs more rotation. On the other hand if you are trying to build a team for the future - as hopefully the Pirates are - they may be denying one or two of your own young players some vital match day experience for the medium/long term.

An example of this last season would be Simmonds v Stevens among the flankers. Simmonds is clearly bound for a fine Premiership career and in the short term it would have been crazy not to have selected him. On the other hand John Stevens is one of our own and when he eventually did get a bit of a chance to show what he could do late in the season did extremely well. If by now he had say 20-25 Championship matches under his belt the team would now be able to reap that benefit. The same might be said about Pope.

I don't know what the answer is and in some ways it is a nice problem for the coaches to have. I guess DR's are a bit like gin and tonics - nice to cheer things up and give you a bit of a lift but you don't want to start relying on them!

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
31 July, 2017 20:34
It's especially nice to see local products Bodilly and Hendrickson in Pirates shirts.

Perran Pirate (IP Logged)
02 August, 2017 12:43
I just Love the G&T analogy ... !

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net