Pirates v Jersey
corporalcarrot (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 09:27
Jersey vs Cornish Pirates
Referee: Christophe Ridley
Assistant referees: Lionel Spooner, Karl Dickson
Assessor: Steve Leyshon
Citing commissioner: Danny Rumble

Mr Ridley was in charge of 3 Jersey matches last season all of them at St Peter. Pre-season he covered the match against Amptil which Jersey won and then followed this with the narrow New Year defeat to Ealing after which the Jersey coach bemoaned a potential Ealing red card which was not given and a Sean McCarthy try disallowed. His final Jersey match last season was the home win against Yorkies which was another tight game when he yellow carded a couple of the visitor's forwards. The season before last he was in charge of the televised away B&I game against Dragons which Jersey ultimately contrived to lose despite leading with full time being up, Dragons a man down and Jersey awarded a penalty by Mr Ridley. It took a lot to lose that one but Jersey managed it!

Mr Ridley's only other Championship game this season was the opening week fixture when he yellow carded two of the Mond players who lost to Blues. According to Statbunker he was in charge of 11 championship games last season and gave out only 7 yellow cards so clearly the 3 he gave out in matches at St Peter were not typical. He always strikes me as a young fit referee who properly takes no rubish from players and nor should he IMO. I would expect the new scrum arrangements which IMO have been a huge benefit to the game will assist him and I hope the Jersey and Pirates players show enough discipline to enable both sides to keep 15 on the pitch for the full 80 on Friday. The citing commissioner at St Peter has a cracking name!

Don't kick it pick it up and GO FORWARD

Re: Pirates v Jersey
1spy (IP Logged)
13 September, 2017 10:21
Assistant referee is Ex Harlequins Scrum Half Karl Dickson.

Pirate15 (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 17:06
2 changes for the Pirates starting XV from last week,great to See Tom Duncan back from injury on the bench.
[cornish-pirates.com]
Cornish Pirates:
15, Toby May, 14 Alex O’Meara, 13 Pete Laverick, 12 Nicolas De Battista (c),
11 Kyle Moyle, 10 Laurence May, 9 Alex Day;
1 Marlen Walker, 2 Tom Cowan-Dickie, 3 Jack Andrew, 4 Josh Caulfield, 5 Toby Freeman, 6 Rupert Cooper, 7 Matt Bolwell, 8 Tom Lawday.

Replacements:
16 Christian Judge, 17 Billy Keast, 18, Dan Lee, 19 Tom Duncan
20 Mike Pope, 21 Will Cargill, 22 Dan Koster.

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 19:25
Strong team for us and quality on the bench. Alex Cheeseman will be missed, but Matt Bolwell is a class player.

welshpirate (IP Logged)
14 September, 2017 19:58
Pete Laverick at centre, never seen him play, what is he like as player? Given our pack I think we can win. Pirates to win 31-28.

corporalcarrot (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 15:21
Pack Weights Pack Weights
Jersey Kg Kg Pirates
Pack Average 117 113 Pack Average
Front Row Average 117 117 Front Row Average
Second Row Average 118 115 Second Row Average
Back Row Average 115 107 Back Row Average

Pack weights 934 901

Sorry about the poor formats but for those interested.

Don't kick it pick it up and GO FORWARD

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 15:34
Quote:
welshpirate
Pete Laverick at centre, never seen him play, what is he like as player? Given our pack I think we can win. Pirates to win 31-28.
Laverick looked good in the pre season games and during his second half appearance last week. He's got pace.

Black Bart (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 17:10
Maybe travel problems, flight delay. KO now delayed until 2030?

Longrockerz2 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 18:45
Just said on radio that the game is due to start at 20:00.

Pirate15 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 18:47
Flight delayed by 2.5 hrs but the boys have arrived at 1830 and KO now 8pm. Not ideal but we'll just have to deal with it and prepare as best as we can.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/09/2017 18:50 by Pirate15.

Landlubber (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 19:20
12-10 Jersey right now

northyorkspirate (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 19:38
Looks like we are going to need another big second half effort from the boys.

Pirate15 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 19:40
Try to Jersey right on half time as the Pirates finish the half with 14 men.
19-10 big 2nd half coming up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/09/2017 19:41 by Pirate15.

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 20:34
Final score Jersey 19 Pirates 13.

piratepilot (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 20:38
FT 19-13.

Was following on the Jersey Reds Twitter, giving away far too many penalties, losing line-outs in key positions, a yellow card, dropping the ball right on Jersey's line. Looks like we had a bit of Pirates fever tonight.

Having said that, who can blame the Pirates when they're forced to play a game of rugby having just stepped off a plane. Jersey seem to love these Friday night fixtures which make it difficult for visiting sides to prepare for the game. A quick turn-around from Sunday.

However, no point in being negative all the time, big game next week against Roth which we need to win, and are perfectly capable of winning. Unlucky Pirates, on to the next one.

COYP!

Pirate15 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 20:53
Huge 2nd half effort by the Pirates as we took the game to Jersey. Unfortunately we knocked on a couple of yards from their line in the last play of the game. Final score 19-13 and another hard earned losing bonus point.

cornishbob (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 21:06
I just wouldn't want to be in the Rotherham camp knowing just how we'll react. The season gets underway then.

cheshire exile (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 23:16
Frustrating result and frustrating performance by the sound of it. Very difficult first three games, four losing bonus points to be honest doesn't look bad but it sounds like we could have had so much more.
Hoping to make a flying visit next week for the Roth game; a five pointer would be great.

Bill Bixby (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 07:24
Bonus points only, need some big fat wins

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 10:10
Very frustrating for the supporters and the team - so close in all three games so far. The Radio Jersey commentary makes me appreciate how good radio Cornwall are. Most of the time the commentators were prattling on about extraneous stuff and we had no idea what was going on in the game, or even what part of the pitch we were in. It seems we got very close to snatching it at the death, but a little knock on close to the line cost us dear. A lot of penalties against us first half meant we gave away a lot of territory. At the end of the first half we survived with 14 men (Jack Andrew in the bin) and even pushed them off a scrum with 7 v 8. Jersey battered our line, but we kept them out. We got the ball, but then tried what sounded like a very risky pass deep in our own half which gave them back the ball and they scored and converted with the last play of the half. That proved crucial in the end, as we stopped them from scoring in the second half but were just too far behind. Expect a big response next week v Roth.

northyorkspirate (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 19:38
Played 3 lost 3 the cold facts make it look grim so far but anyone who has watched the boys play in those three games can be in no doubt that the wins will come and we will be nearer the top than the bottom at the end of the season. These boys have immense talent and are committed 100%. It's a pleasure to support them and they deserve all the support we can give.
If the boys play like they have done for the last three games Rotherham might be in for a rough time next week.
Would love to be there next week but commitments oop north mean we'll be cheering via radio Dreckly which will be a vast improvement on the Jersey commentary which in my opinion was dire.

Cowship Pirate (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 08:07
A 5 point win please--- not like the match last season against Richmond.

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 19:45
Please don't remind me Cowship. We managed to lose twice to Richmond - which may well have cost us top 4. The boys just need to do their thing as we know they can and we'll be far too strong for struggling Roth.

Newlyn Pirate (IP Logged)
18 September, 2017 12:01
Let's be fair to the boys, they have played the two top sides and were unlucky not to beat them and lost by a simple knock on in extra time away to Jersey which is a very difficult game especially when your flight is delayed until just before the game.
Are we disappointed, yes, but this team could go all the way to the top four this season if they have the bounce of the ball.

Pantherdave (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 21:52
Quote:
Newlyn Pirate
Let's be fair to the boys, they have played the two top sides and were unlucky not to beat them and lost by a simple knock on in extra time away to Jersey which is a very difficult game especially when your flight is delayed until just before the game.
Are we disappointed, yes, but this team could go all the way to the top four this season if they have the bounce of the ball.

Not much point targeting a top four finish now it's meaningless without the playoffs. It's first or nothing, I'm afraid.

cornishbob (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 07:20
Quote:
Pantherdave
Quote:
Newlyn Pirate

Not much point targeting a top four finish now it's meaningless without the playoffs. It's first or nothing, I'm afraid.

Taking your point a little further, so now we right the season off do we?

1spy (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 08:02
Pantherdave
The RFU will pay prize money depending on the Clubs final position in the league. So the higher up you finish the more prize money.

Pantherdave (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 17:15
I think that after the Jersey game it's not unreasonable to virtually write off the season as far as promotion is concerned.

As 1spy says there is a payout according to final league position and I appreciate finishing as high as possible means more money than clubs below us to use as thought fit for the following season.

However I was just pointing out that the old phrase " top four finish" isn't a target anymore, only just as high as possible. To a lot of people like myself who follow the Pirates but aren't dare I say " diehard supporters", I think it might diminish interest as the season goes on. Working out our chances of making 4th or better for the playoffs after each game extended the interest for me long into the season.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net