rugbyunion
Latest News:
Unofficial Cornish Pirates Fans Forum

New Club Website
Pirate15 (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 17:56
There is a new club website that on first viewing look quite impressive.
You can even sign up to receive a club e-Newsletter.
[cornish-pirates.com]

Re: New Club Website
piratepilot (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 19:22
Looks great, the old site desperately needed decluttering.

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 21:09
Looks good.

Surrey Pirate (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 16:16
Can't seem to find any link to or mention the club shop on the new site. Obviously, we would all know to go via Whirlwind Sports, but not necessarily everyone would?

Black Bart (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 19:52
Check the shop on line link, goes straight through to Wirlwind

Eastanglianpirate (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 21:17
If Whirlwind haven't got it, go direct to Samurai Sportswear

wigston pirate (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 20:34
Very impressive.

(Sm109)

AggiePirate (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 06:37
I have to say I am not impressed, and cannot see how this is an improvement on the old layout.
Maybe it will grow on me...

bolingey pirate (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 07:38
I'm not impressed either!! Would help if it were updated quicker....match report and updated league table still not available this morning. Anyway, what was wrong with the old website??

cornishbob (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 16:38
Bolingey you posted this at 0830 this morning and you aren't happy that the match report wasn't on the website? It was by mid morning and to me that's perfectly acceptable, lets not forget there's a small dedicated team working their socks off at the Pirates and they too deserve some time off. Woll who writes the report does it for free and has to write it, edit it, proof read it and then give it to the team who then post it, it all takes time!! - IMO I think the new website is fine, it works well and looks slick and up to date. No complaints from me, but we're all entitled to our opinion. (Sm109)

Newlyn Pirate (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 15:17
I like the web site's design very much but did like the old site's very easy access to the news rather than having to click around for it. I have noticed on other clubs sites that the latest news is not always obviously available also.

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 16:45
Quote:
Newlyn Pirate
I like the web site's design very much but did like the old site's very easy access to the news rather than having to click around for it. I have noticed on other clubs sites that the latest news is not always obviously available also.
I thought the same, NP.

Longrockerz2 (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 17:16
Can't find the B&I pools either!

SAWTRY_PIRATE (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 18:02
NP, I`m with you on this one too. Not keen on `clicking around` to find latest news.

Eastanglianpirate (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 22:08
New things eh, why do they bother and what's wrong with waiting for The Cornishman to come out? I dunno, and they call it progress...

CAPTAIN BENBOW (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 19:59
On my iPad the new website looks horrible on the fixtures page.
I see all the spreadsheet headings and the page is a mess, making it hard to actually find the fixtures.
However on Dave's MacBook it is fine and fixtures appear clearly.
It would be good if the new website worked on all platforms.

AggiePirate (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 07:42
Same here. On my kindle tablet this website is almost unreadable. How can this be progress?

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 11:51
At the shareholders' meeting in the week, Paul Dirkin (Chairman) said he would welcome feed back on the new site - suggest those with suggestions and opinions should let him know.

AggiePirate (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 17:53
Presumably he will read this site? It is the 'unofficial' Pirates website, after all!

AggiePirate (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 18:38
Just had a look on my laptop, and frankly I am just as unimpressed.
For example, I had to click on 'news and fixtures' then again on 'news' to learn of the death of Stack Stevens.
On the old website, this very important and hugely sad event would have been on the front page.
This is just wrong, on every level.

18 October, 2017 10:05
Going back to the very first post in this thread by Pirate 15, he mentions you can sign up for an e-newsletter.

I have done that and wonder if and when it will materialise.

Candor Pirate (IP Logged)
18 October, 2017 21:01
The new website certainly looks more impressive than its predecessor although I found that searching for the information I wanted involved a greater number of key strokes. However, that's a minor criticism. Incidentally, terms like 'sub navigation' are not in my view particularly user-friendly.

piratepilot (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 10:41
There's no doubt the website needed a revamp and some serious updating. The club needs to reach out to more people in a way that is relatively inexpensive and I think re-doing the website was the right move. A little off-topic, but advertising-wise, the Pirates need to branch out, otherwise we're just preaching to the converted, so I think the website was a good place to start. It looks very posh and is easily the best looking in the league IMO. As many have pointed out; it could definitely do with some stream-lining in certain areas. I think the general layout of the homepage is nice, with the previous and upcoming fixtures there, and the latest news directly below it.

Going back to advetising, I'd been living in Cornwall for a total of five years before I was even aware the Pirates existed. I only heard about it through my father who persuaded me to come along to my first game (Pirates v Notts 2015/16), and I've since fallen in love with the sport and the club.

Sorry to ramble there, I get a bit carried away sometimes! Basically what I'm trying to say is the website update was a long time coming, and more methods of advertising are sorely needed, especially more adverts targetted at younger generations (I'm only a baby at 20 and rarely see folk around my age on match day.

Ramble over.

You can't score if you don't have the ball!

19 October, 2017 11:27
..."only a baby at 20" maybe PP, but you talk a lot of sense, particularly about advertising and putting the club and it's brand about Cornwall, AND especially for the younger generation. This topic has been raised before, and I and my colleagues have discussed this need with various club officials on match days in the marquee, but nothing seems to change.
Anyway, enough of that one!!
........the new website...well, I'm inclined to agree with Aggie Pirate. I'm known by my friends as somewhat of a "technophobe" when it comes to matters I/T, so I've avoided commenting before merely leaving it to those better qualified than me. However, as an I/T "layman", I think it's a backward step for those reasons mentioned above.

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 13:29
Quote:
piratepilot
There's no doubt the website needed a revamp and some serious updating. The club needs to reach out to more people in a way that is relatively inexpensive and I think re-doing the website was the right move. A little off-topic, but advertising-wise, the Pirates need to branch out, otherwise we're just preaching to the converted, so I think the website was a good place to start. It looks very posh and is easily the best looking in the league IMO. As many have pointed out; it could definitely do with some stream-lining in certain areas. I think the general layout of the homepage is nice, with the previous and upcoming fixtures there, and the latest news directly below it.
Going back to advetising, I'd been living in Cornwall for a total of five years before I was even aware the Pirates existed. I only heard about it through my father who persuaded me to come along to my first game (Pirates v Notts 2015/16), and I've since fallen in love with the sport and the club.

Sorry to ramble there, I get a bit carried away sometimes! Basically what I'm trying to say is the website update was a long time coming, and more methods of advertising are sorely needed, especially more adverts targetted at younger generations (I'm only a baby at 20 and rarely see folk around my age on match day.

Ramble over.

You are right about advertising - it's something many of us have been banging on about for ages. Even in Penzance you wouldn't know we had a rugby club if you are a visitor, let alone
that there is a match on a Sunday, but no improvement seems to appear from one season to the next.

Surrey Pirate (IP Logged)
19 October, 2017 17:47
Agreed, Stalwart. I've been suggesting for years now that, at the very least the club could try for a presence of leaflets with fixtures etc at the tourist office in Penzance and in hotels/B&B in the surrounding area?

AggiePirate (IP Logged)
20 October, 2017 15:08
Does the club even have a marketing team now?

From The Bridge (IP Logged)
23 October, 2017 09:16
interesting comments about the new website, although a little surprised by the comments about having to click around for the match report. one click is enough to reach the match report from the front page.suspect this

23 October, 2017 09:56
Yesterday's match attendance would be nice to see although I, like others, probably couldn't find it on the new web site!!

From The Bridge (IP Logged)
23 October, 2017 10:00
2nd attempt! interesting comments about the website, although a little surprised about "having to click around for the match report" one click from the front page is enough to reach the match report so I suspect its just unfamiliarity with the layout. The new website was designed specifically to be enabled from all platforms, especially mobile phones and tablets to reach the younger audience, so we will investigate why some of you have had problems on tablet.
As for advertising, we have contra deals in place for local media, Cornishman, West Briton etc, but that was halved by the media company for this season who have been cutting staff and arrangements like ours.
All of our games last season were advertised in each newspaper, this year we have had to reduce this, but still advertise across all of the local media papers in Cornwall to ensure our presence is noticed. To reach a wider audience, we also advertised digitally on Cornwall Live, the analytics demonstrated that the all important click through to our website to buy tickets did not warrant continuing with this medium. This Season, we have a regular advert in the Penwith Eye, which is distributed to 10,000 homes and businesses in West Cornwall each month. We have an advert in the monthly Business Cornwall publication. We regularly use social media, Twitter, Facebook and instagram to create a wide reach outside of the more mature demographic that currently attend the games.We have produced posters and posted these to businesses and as supporters, you can print the posters and ask local businesses to place them in the shop windows where you live. We also advertise within the local colleges and have an arrangement that the students pay less than the gate price to encourage a younger audience attendance. In addition, we have worked hard to create a presence on local TV reporting of our game, which now means we now usually feature on the Saturday & Monday sports report.
The RFU are trying to encourage a greater awareness of the Championship by streaming games via their own facebook links and the Pirates feature in number of our away games.
As has been suggested, we are a small team, with very limiting resources and achieve a great deal, to give coverage to the Pirates Brand and the exciting rugby within the championship that we play in Cornwall through the various mediums mentioned above.
All that has been said on these pages and in person, in terms of advertising,is an area that management is aware of naturally, we would like to do a lot more, but funding is limited. However, rest assured, we are constantly exploring ways to create more awareness of the Cornish Pirates and the high standard of Championship rugby to be found at the Mennaye on Match Day.

23 October, 2017 10:23
From the Bridge - what has happened to the A2 sandwich board that Dave and I bought and gave to the club? It was used to display posters in town, on the pavement outside The Front Room.
I understand the ownership of that establishment has probably changed, but I hope the board is going to be used somewhere to advertise fixtures.

Black Bart (IP Logged)
23 October, 2017 10:36
Maybe not the right post, but how about offering family tickets to try to encourage a younger demographic?

ladypirate (IP Logged)
23 October, 2017 11:36
You don't necessarily have to 'click around' for news stories. they are all on the front page of the website, scroll down past the previous and upcoming fixtures and all the latest news stories are there.

Black Bart (IP Logged)
24 October, 2017 09:27
Is the club site down or is it just me?

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
24 October, 2017 10:15
Quote:
Black Bart
Is the club site down or is it just me?
I logged on just now - no problem. (11.30 am Tuesday).

Black Bart (IP Logged)
24 October, 2017 11:46
Stalwart, it's back up now as you say but was down for a good part of this morning

Tavi Pirate (IP Logged)
25 October, 2017 21:55
Marketing, visited the Whirlwind Sports shop in Par market a few weeks back, no new shirts in stock, no idea when they were coming in - great.

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
26 October, 2017 12:42
Quote:
Tavi Pirate
Marketing, visited the Whirlwind Sports shop in Par market a few weeks back, no new shirts in stock, no idea when they were coming in - great.
Not the club's or Whirlwind's fault, though - suppliers not doing what they should?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net