rugbyunion
Latest News:
Unofficial Cornish Pirates Fans Forum

The Future of Tier 2 Rugby
Pirate15 (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 18:39
It has been reported in this weeks Rugby Paper that plans to increase the Championship to 14 teams has stalled after the clubs failed to reach a consensus according to the RFU's Nigel Melville.The B&I cup is in its last season after it was agreed to scrap it because it has failed to prove popular with the clubs. A further meeting is due to be held this month to discuss a possible league expansion for the 2019-20 season and a new cup format involving Championship clubs for next season.

Re: The Future of Tier 2 Rugby
*Stalwart (IP Logged)
13 November, 2017 22:00
The new cup format should be that Championship clubs be included in the Anglo Welsh cup. It would create much more interest to get Welsh Regional teams and Premiership clubs (albeit second string sides) to Championship grounds.

SimonG19 (IP Logged)
15 November, 2017 16:44
"The Future of Tier 2 Rugby".

None.

HampshirePirate (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 10:18
Many of you probably caught Brent Pilnick's article on Sam Simmonds yesterday

Sam Simmonds: Exeter back-row targets regular England place after autumn debut [www.bbc.co.uk]

It mentions Sam played for the Pirates last season and played in the B&I cup. I wrote to Brent as I felt it would be interesting to focus on how Championship experience seems to aid the development of players. He wrote back and had some interesting thoughts on the future of the Championship.

I enjoyed your BBC piece on Sam Simmonds today.

I’m a Cornish Pirates supporter and I know a lot of people in the South West thought Sam had phenomenal talent. It’s great to see how he has developed.

The development pathway from championship player to international player is well established with a large cohort of the current team (Marler, Farrell, Slade, Nowell, Simmonds) all having played for championship sides during their development.

I didn’t know if you had considered looking at the reasons why this might be the case? We have an excellent coaching set up in Penzance, as do many of the other clubs in the league. I’m sure the opportunity to play competitive games against experienced opposition whilst receiving quality coaching at both Exeter and Pirates enhanced Sam’s development massively. The Championship is a much derided league, but for players like Sam or Tom Lawday one of our current D/R players from the Chiefs who is currently tearing up the Championship, it offers several advantages over the Premiership A League.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks for your kind words - good to see someone has read it!!

Funnily enough today we were talking about the players that had come up through the Chiefs ranks to make the first team - I think pretty much all of them bar Henry Slade had a period at Pirates, be it Ewers, LCD, Jack, Simmo, Bodilly.

And with the likes of Williams, Yeandle, Rimmer etc all having come from Championship clubs as well you're right, we probably should have a look if we've not done so already (I'll have a check!!).

Sadly I personally think the future of the second tier is going to be a development league - the gap is so large and aside from the relegated Prem club and Yorkshire no-one else has the infrastructure to go up. The demise of the play-off system has probably ended any chance of another club doing what Chiefs did a few years ago unless someone throws mega bucks at it or the relegated Prem club has some sort of financial meltdown.

Perhaps it might be like rugby league a few years ago when clubs bid for Super League licences - so if the Stadium for Cornwall is ever built Pirates might have a chance, although I cannot see Premiership chairmen voting their status away!!

Great to hear from you.

Brent

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
30 November, 2017 13:40
The task of reaching the Premiership is becoming more and more difficult. Maybe the way forward, when we get to the new stadium, is to try to get into the Pro 12 (or whatever it's called at the moment).

cheshire exile (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 06:39
Speculation in yesterday’s papers that the size of the Premiership could be cut to 10clubs to reduce the risk of player injury and burnout.
There would be 2 up, 2 down promotion and relegation.
The prospect has also been raised of responsibility for the Championship clubs moving from the RFU to Premiership Rugby and, tantalisingly, of more money for the Championship.

cornishbob (IP Logged)
01 December, 2017 08:49
Cheshire, on the face of what you say it's a sensible move IMO. But I wonder how they (the RFU) will look after the grass roots rugby in this country. After doing away with the B&I cup maybe there's room (especially if there's going to be only 10 clubs per league) for a national competition based of the FA cup format, with the top two tiers only coming in at the latter stages.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net