Replacements

16 Sam Matavesi
17 Billy Keast
18 Jack Andrew
19 Chris Morgan
20 Tom Duncan
21 Laurence May
22 Mike Pope

Good starting XV and very strong bench. It's going to be a mud-fest, but the boys can do this.

Re: Pirates v Jersey
Surrey Pirate (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 17:01
Also could be a slight breeze blowing too!

piratepilot (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 21:06
Looking forward to it. Might not be a very exciting game given the state of the pitch. A big forward battle is expected.

ascloseasthis (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 16:48
Is there going to be a pitch inspection or are the players expected to put on a good game in muddy soup?

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 17:33
Quote:
ascloseasthis
Is there going to be a pitch inspection or are the players expected to put on a good game in muddy soup?
It's a winter game, so we're going to get wet weather now and again. I expect the club will do everything they can to get the game on - big crowd expected and Jersey already here. I think the protocol is that the ref will consult both captains and then make a decision. There is a lot of rain forecast tonight, but there hasn't been too much today, so hopefully with a dry morning tomorrow the game will go ahead.

ascloseasthis (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 18:20
My guess is the pitch must be just about waterlogged, I cant see a big crowd if it continues to rain. The forecast for tonight and tomorrow is not good.

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 20:42
Take more than a drop of rain to keep us away!

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 16:34
Lineout malfunctioned which probably cost us the game as we missed several chances with line outs close to their line. Jersey had the edge at scrum time, too - their forwards are massive. We gave away soft penalties to give them field position and couldn't stop their rolling maul, which gave them all three tries. When we got some ball we looked dangerous and played some good running rugby - thought we'd snatched it with a great try near the end, but ref had signalled penalty against us and not a try! Final score 15-19.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/12/2017 16:37 by *Stalwart.

Pirate15 (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 17:18
A disappointing end to 2017 in a game that we should have won. We dominated possession and territory but our line out misfired on 7-8 occasions inside their 22 allowing them to relieve the pressure which ultimately proved the difference. Jersey had a strong set piece which won them the game on a heavy pitch with a strong wind. A frustrating afternoon not helped by some indifferent officiating.I'm sure the coaches and players will look to put it right in the B&I cup game in 2 weeks time.

wigston pirate (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 17:27
Listen in on BBC Radio and as Stalwart mentioned line outs let the side down and believed we snatched it at the end. All the best and a happy new year to One and All.
(Sm109)

welshpirate (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 18:13
We were dreadful. One of the worst performances I have seen in several years. Line out was a complete liability, even the ones we won we dropped! Out muscled in the scrum hence no real platform to play. Jersey hardly played any rugby because they didn't need to really. Then we butchered a winning try at the end. Choosing Josh Caulfield as our man of the match had to be tongue in cheek given the shambles that passed for a line out. Yes I know 5th choice hooker playing at the end and injuries galore, plus probably knackered after the hammering by Bristol. Nevertheless dire in front a good sized crowd.

rgre (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 06:57
Sick as a parrot is the expression that comes to mind.
I couldnt believe the commentary from David - as professional sportsmen a few of them need to re- examine their future plans imho.
RGRE

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 12:41
Didn't hear the commentary as we were at the game - did you mean John Martin, Dicky? Fact is we nearly won that game and it was line out problems that cost us - and that is fixable. Frustrating game. I wonder how much effect the nature of the league, without play offs, has on performance - I know there's a bit of money - but finishing 4th, 5th, 6th or 7th doesn't really make much difference.

SJP (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 14:28
Yes it was a soggy pitch not conducive to much running rugby but what little there was came from us.

The day the Pirates go on to the field with just one tactic to kick to corner and rolling maul the opposition to win will be the day I chuck my season ticket onto the fire. Yes I know we score tries sometimes with rolling mauls but we do at least mix it up a bit.

EDF Trophy Winners 2007
B & I Cup Winners 2010

rgre (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 16:31
Hi stalwart
Its not about money per se - its about getting fit to play in the S4C and win.
Having said that the difference between 2nd and 9th is 40,0000 I believe.
Not to be sniffed at methinks.
RGRE

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 18:49
Certainly not to be sniffed at, Dicky! I didn't know the numbers.
To be fair, we have been a bit unfortunate with injuries and it has meant we've struggled, especially recently at hooker. I'm sure Gav and Paves never use this as an excuse, but it certainly makes life more difficult not having men like Paul Andrew, Matt Evans and Chris Morgan missing for a large part of the season. Yesterday, at hooker, we had the young man Frost, from Taunton, who only joined us a few weeks ago and has performed brilliantly, and Matavesi making his debut - add to that Beukeboom was missing as well, it makes lineout time a lot more difficult.

welshpirate (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 21:06
The trouble was we kept on going for the lineout when everyone knew it would be lost. We stopped playing with our heads. Pope should have come on earlier and we should have tapped and gone more often. Jersey were a dull lumbering side and hated it when we played at tempo and ran at them...we just didn't do it often enough.

2Harbourview (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 22:44
Just stopped sulking. As others said, the lineout, in the second half particularly, ultimately cost us, but we were also out muscled at the scrum. A few unfair comments about Jersey on here - their back line was also decimated by injuries and they did a job on us. Not sure about the comment on possession, it felt to me like they retained the ball well for long periods, especially in the first half.
That said, we should have won. We had all but scored that try. Easy from the touchline of course but it was a real loss of composure at a key moment. I was stood in the Newlyn gate corner and they ran straight towards me.It ended up as a 3 on 1 from about 7 yards. All that was needed was to take the tackle, the guy may have slid in anyway, but it would have been very difficult to defend from there. But we tried a miraculous offload, knocked on and to confound things, the other support runner had got in front and picked the ball up. So instead of having a 5m scrum to attack, we gave away a penalty. Summed up our afternoon.

1908 (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 13:06
If it was a 3 on 1 you don't take the tackle. You just draw you man and put away an easy overlap. It's something that lots of teams find hard to do nowadays. They seem to revert to the long spin pass cutting out players in the mistaken belief that getting it out wide asap is the best way. It's not. Fix the inside defence by putting it through the hands, draw your man and there's your try.

2Harbourview (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 18:48
I think he was caught from behind Stalwart and was in front of the support with his ears pinned back - so I probably should have said he needed to just hang on to the ball. If he was a really clever 7s type he would have stopped and and gone sideways. But as I said its easy from the terraces and he had just run 80m across a ploughed field in about 10 seconds after 75 minutes combat.I think that would affect my thinking

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 22:01
Very true, Harbourview!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net