rugbyunion
Latest News:
Unofficial Cornish Pirates Fans Forum

Yorkshire Carnegie game off
CAPTAIN BENBOW (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 09:43
Following an independent pitch inspection this morning the game has been postponed.

Re: Yorkshire Carnegie game off
piratepilot (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 09:46
Oh bloody hell, the sooner this winter is over the better. That's a lot of revenue lost on postponed fixtures. There's got to be another ground this can be played at, we can't keep postponing fixtures.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2018 09:50 by piratepilot.

Pirate15 (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 10:18
Moving to another venue would incur further costs. There is a free weekend in a fortnights time so I would expect it to be played then.

Trurotommo (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 11:10
Saw it on the BBC yet the offy hasn't bothered to mention it yet, not very impressive is it?

cornishbob (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 11:27
Trurotommo, just checked the offy site, definitely on there now. Maybe you were too early.

cornishbob (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 11:28
Copied from the offy site -- Following a pitch inspection carried out by an independent official at the Mennaye Field today, it has been decided to postpone Sunday’s scheduled Cornish Pirates versus Yorkshire Carnegie match in the Greene King IPA Championship.

The ground has experienced very poor weather this winter, and with a forecast for further rain it was deemed likely that the pitch would once again be unplayable.

Supporters who purchased tickets in advance for this match should keep them safe for use when the rescheduled Round 15 fixture takes place, the date to be set by the RFU’s organising committee. Confirmation is expected quite soon, when a further announcement will be made through the usual channels.

Tickets for the new date will be available at the gates on the day, whilst in the meantime they can also be purchased either through the ticket office, telephone 01736-331961, or on-line. The ticket office is open Monday to Friday, from 9am until 12 noon.

For further information please visit www.cornish-pirates.com/tickets
For those wishing to enjoy match day Hospitality in the ‘ITEC’ Sponsored Marquee, please contact Robyn, telephone 01736 335318/email robyn.ashurst@cornish-pirates.com

bolingey pirate (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 11:44
Should have been thought about when we left Camborne in such a hurry!!
Sorry guys, that move still riles me, whatever the reason for it......and I'm not the only one!!

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 14:00
Quote:
bolingey pirate
Should have been thought about when we left Camborne in such a hurry!!
Sorry guys, that move still riles me, whatever the reason for it......and I'm not the only one!!
That's history now, so no point in going over it. There were good reasons for coming back to Penzance. We are where we are. Nobody can control the weather - it's been the wettest January in living memory.
Hope more people will be happy when we move to Truro!

09 February, 2018 14:31
Thanks Stalwart....I'm only being flippant...this bloody weather makes me bad tempered!!!

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 15:46
Quote:
bolingey pirate
Thanks Stalwart....I'm only being flippant...this bloody weather makes me bad tempered!!!
Me too, mate. Haven't been to rugby for bleddy ages, peed off big time!

POSTS (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 16:34
Stalwart good reasons for leaving. Camborne.Are you serious.

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 17:59
Quote:
Stalwart good reasons for leaving. Camborne.Are you serious.
Yes.

*baldric* (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 18:31
Well three of us managed to make the trip today, battled through the motorway closure, then discovered the game is off... Still, weekend drinking round the area. Benbow later!

Still a Tyke - whatever the name!

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 20:01
Game now confirmed for Feb 25th - let's hope it stops bleddy raining!

2Harbourview (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 20:35
Baldric - feel your pain. I hosted a mate from Gloucs when were due to play Hartpury and that got called off at 11am on the day. Still a weekend on the lash in Penwith is not a bad way to pass a few hours, and you'll just have to come back in a fortnight. Enjoy your weekend here and thanks for supporting our night time economy

1spy (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 20:45
Stadium4Cornwall 3G all weather pitch. Keep faith in the future.Will Cornwall Councillors support the future?

Cowship Pirate (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 10:09
If the rain continues we may have to go to Leeds.
How about Hayle, Redruth, dear old Camborne ?

1spy (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 12:49
A matter of interest which one of those Grounds would be your choice?

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 12:53
Camborne for me.

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 12:57
Let's hope it doesn't come to it, but going to another ground could be done because Hayle, Reds and Camborne all have spare weekends on 24th/25th weekend.

11 February, 2018 19:51
Must be Camborne!!

Pirate Fred (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 19:21
Oh yes Camborne,many happy memories.

2Harbourview (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 07:55
Agree with Canborne - from a spectators viewpoint its a great viewing ground. A natural ampitheatre. Not quite the US Bank stadium in Minneapolis, but pretty good nonetheless.
I also miss getting lost in that bleddy estate.Once spent an age in there being directed by a former Newlyn neighbour. Wont say his name, but some will know him. Not only is he an ex Royal Marine but was actually a Station Officer at Camborne with the Fire Service at the time. I suppose someone else does the navigating and, in his defence, alcohol was involved.

13 February, 2018 09:04
Surely, wouldn't it be sensible for the club to enter into some sort of agreement with Camborne, Redruth or wherever, so that games can be quickly played on the correct day within say 20 miles of PZ when the Mennaye is likely to be unplayable???

14 February, 2018 11:38
I know that i am not a Pirate but have followed your club resluts for sometime. So hope fully my comments on this subject will not offend anyone.

Look at the subject of moving games away from your own ground.

YC/Leeds have done this. But the preparation has been planned weeks in advance.

To move a game that has been called off on the day or day before. Okay you tell the sponsors of the game say you are playing aty another ground in Cornwall. Food and staff have to move incuring extra costs. I s the venue suitable for an operation like that ? Kitchen up to the standard needed. Visiting team have planned for Penzance hotel plus travel costs would CP be liaable for them. Spectators who traveled would also incur extra expense. I could go on.

As I say these are my thoughts, I can fully understand the frustrtion that you are going through (STALWART and CAPTAIN BENBOW have bitten away their fingernails) But please look at what CP/ Mr Evans and all at CP have done. You have some real top class men and women at your club. They need your help through voluteers to perfom tasks to get a game on pledge and give your help to CP.

If this offends admin please delete it.

So come on CP fans it's up to you.

covmick/Michael Carter

cornishbob (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 14:26
I appreciate the comments covmick but I don't think many (including I suspect the RFU) fully understand just how much rain we've had here at this end of the county. It's been incessant and apart from about 4 dry days it's been pretty much non stop since around Christmas. In fact as I type it's still chucking it down, even on the highest ground it's waterlogged and the water is running off the fields. No matter how many volunteers you might be able to muster the Mennaye which is almost at sea level would still be unplayable, indeed there are so many fixtures in Cornwall for all sports outstanding at the moment club secretaries are at a loss as to how to fit them all in. So yes it would probably be lovely to see more volunteers at any club but for now with this deluge it would be to no avail. The average monthly rainfall for January in Penzance is 121mm, this year we've had a further 64% bringing the total this year to approx 200mm (thats almost 8 inches in old money). By comparison the Coventry average for January is less than 70mm!!

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 14:46
That's it in a nutshell. Cornishbob. This year has been ridiculously wet and it's not only The Pirates who have suffered. Surely it's got to dry up soon! Agree with what Mick says, it's not so easy to suddenly move to another ground - even if there is one available -the logistics are very complicated.

Pirate15 (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 14:58
We are not the only ones beginning to suffer I see that Nottingham have postponed this evenings under 18 fixture due to waterlogged/ frozen pitches. Does this put Fridays game in doubt?

14 February, 2018 15:01
The Coventry pitch is like a glue pot. It is raing here as I write this. I understand what you are saying but the logistics of moving a fixture are not so simple as just picking up a phone and booking a venue. If you cam remember the winter of 1963 very little sport of any type was played from Christmas/Boxing Day to March. But today the corperate side off sport is so important to clubs and that throws up further problems. Thw Cov pitch now has Association Football played on it , I was told that game was called off last weekend. Likewise i was told that in March our ground is due to have 15 games played on it (unconfirmed by CRFC). I understand your frustrations and hope the better weather comes soon for you and the holiday income as well.

covmick/Michael Carter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/02/2018 15:01 by covmick1/Michael Carter.

2Harbourview (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 16:46
Mick - what about that bleddy game we played up there on a Friday night? One of your lads told me it had not got ABOVE minus 2 in the city that day. No way that was safe, but I think you had big money worries at the time, we had travelled and the teams were happy so it was played. Interesting juxtapose to the game down here v Hartpury which was called off by the ref after the teams had agreed to play. Probably did us a favour actually as we needed a bonus point win to make the B&I 1/4 final, and we were looking at mud wrestling. Went up to play on their cracking surface and scored 7 tries.
Looking forward to seeing all our Cov friends next season

14 February, 2018 18:59
The night I appeared on Pirates TV. On making my way to the interview I was talking to EX Cov players warming (SIC) up behind the posts before half time. Carl Rimmer and Ben Gulliver showed me how hard the ground was by sliding over the ground. It was with great respect to the Pirates that that game went ahead. The Coventry players at that time where hardly being paid. The perils of ownership fighting court room battles.

covmick/Michael Carter

cornishbob (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 09:48
At last some dry weather to look forward to, about a weeks worth if the forecast is to be believed so maybe just maybe the light is at last beginning to appear at the end of the tunnel!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net