rugbyunion
Latest News:
Unofficial Cornish Pirates Fans Forum

Phil Westren - Mr Pirates
*Stalwart (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 09:49
Not only us who appreciate Phil's dulcet tones on the PA. This from the Championship Forum.
"I agree the Ealing PA announcer is awful but IMO an absolute legend and a visit to Vallis Way would certainly not be as entertaining without him. Ealing are a genuinely decent club and I remember meeting them in Dublin Airport on the way back from B&I fixtures and their Chairman incredibly remembered me from seeing me at previous visits to Vallis Way and came over to chat. At the other end of the spectrum in terms of quality but also a total legend IMO is Phil Westren at Pirates a genuinely great bloke."
Simply the best!

Re: Phil Westren - Mr Pirates
cornishbob (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 13:51
Agree with your opinion Stalwart, can't imaging match day without Phil coming over the speakers,total legend. By contrast anyone remember the squeaky voiced lady at Albion, for me it used to grate whenever I heard her less than dulcet tones. Surprised glass didn't shatter when Albion scored.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2018 13:52 by cornishbob.

bolingey pirate (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 15:08
The guy at 'druth tried his best, but wasn't a touch on Mr W !!

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 16:10
Quote:
cornishbob
Agree with your opinion Stalwart, can't imaging match day without Phil coming over the speakers,total legend. By contrast anyone remember the squeaky voiced lady at Albion, for me it used to grate whenever I heard her less than dulcet tones. Surprised glass didn't shatter when Albion scored.
Remember her well - as you say, somewhat piercing!
The poshest one I've heard was at Blackheath (years ago when we were in the same league) - she sounded exactly like the queen!

old prop steve (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 17:41
Agree about the shrieking Banshee of Brickfields!

However there was a bloke at Esher who I always thought was hilarious - had a really dry wit.

Conversely there was recently another screaming clown at Nottingham who got right up my nose - but then I confess to being a grumpy old git. Hope he's gone by now.

As for Phil and indeed Sally - the countless thousands of hours of largely unseen work they have done for Penzance & Newlyn and now the Cornish Pirates is absolutely mind blowing.

We all owe them both so much.

One Eyed Pirate (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 18:33
OPS please do not remind me of that deafening, obnoxious, shrill woman at Albion. It was absolute torture hearing her shouting at us.

Phil Western seems to embody everything that is so special about Rugby and Cornish Rugby especially and his passion for the game and the club is infectious. For me, he is to the Pirates what Sue Barker is to Wimbledon, and what David Attenboroug is to wildlife documentaries. Here's hoping PW is still going strong when he is 91 years of age!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/02/2018 18:34 by One Eyed Pirate.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net