rugbyunion
Latest News:
Unofficial Cornish Pirates Fans Forum

Carnegie preview and team up
cornishbob (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 12:02
Pirates ‘Chomping at The Bit’ For Mennaye Action
After weeks of incessant rain in West Cornwall, the Cornish Pirates and their supporters will be looking forward to Sunday, and a first home game in 2018.

Since the Pirates last played a match at the Mennaye Field, which was back on New Year’s Eve, two fixtures had to be postponed. One was just a couple weeks ago against Yorkshire Carnegie, who will be this weekend’s welcome opponents.

Sunday’s rearranged game is a 9th versus 3rd clash in the Greene King IPA Championship, and the kick-off is at 2.30pm.

Changes in the Cornish Pirates starting line-up from the one that faced Nottingham Rugby last week sees Alex O’Meara and Harry Strong named as the wing pairing, Chris Morgan selected alongside Brett Beukeboom in the second-row, and John Stevens at open-side flanker. Included among the replacements are player/coach Alan Paver and Toby May.

Speaking ahead of Sunday, Cornish Pirates’ player/coach Alan Paver has commented:

We have had a lot, a lot of water on the pitch this winter and the ground staff have done a fine job, to even at times get it close to being playable. For obvious reasons It’s been a difficult period for the club and for the team, but with wind and sunshine this week it is at last looking in good nick for action and we are just chomping at the bit to get out there.

As for the challenge posed by Yorkshire Carnegie, who have done well in the league, they beat us narrowly 28-26 in October. They first and foremost pride themselves on their set play, so we know we’re going to have a bit of a wrestle there, and they also have good players to play an expansive game. With their balance they can cause sides a lot of trouble.

Match Officials
Referee: Simon Harding
AR1: Simon Adams
AR2: Nick Marshall
No:4: Ben Russel
Assessor: Lloyd Jackson
Sponsors
Match Ball Sponsor:
FWB

CORNISH PIRATES LINE UP
Starting 15
15 Kyle Moyle
14 Alex O'Meara
13 Dan Koster
12 Nicolas De Battista (c)
11 Harry Strong
10 Will Cargill
9 Alex Day
1 Marlen Walker
2 Sam Matavesi
3 Christian Judge
4 Chris Morgan
5 Brett Beukeboom
6 Tom Lawday
7 John Stevens
8 Tom Duncan
Replacements
16 Billy Keast
17 Alan Paver
18 Toby Freeman
19 Dan Lee
20 Mike Pope
21 Laurence May
22 Toby May

Re: Carnegie preview and team up
Longrockerz2 (IP Logged)
24 February, 2018 15:24
Yorks team for tomorrow below.
Yorkshire Carnegie:-
15. Stevie McColl 14. George Watkins 13. Andy Forsyth
12. Tom Casson 11. Louis Brown 10. Pete Lucock
9. Alex Davies
1. Marc Thomas 2. Joe Buckle 3. Kevin Bryce
4. Jack Whetton 5. Mike Myerscough
6. Ben West 7. Richard Mayhew (c) 8. Richard Beck
Replacements:-
16. Mike Mayhew 17. Charlie Capps 18. James Thraves
19. Matt Smith 20. Trystan Lloyd 21. Will Homer
22. Callum Irvine

piratepilot (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 09:03
Is Matt Evans injured again?

1spy (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 10:19
Will Homer Bath D/R was also loaned to Pirates from Bath 2 seasons ago.

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 10:45
Mike Myerscough - good Cornish lad and very fine player. Need to keep him quiet!

1908 (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 17:20
We kept him quiet for most of the game, Stalwart.

Very good performance from us today. The front five were immense.....scrummaging Carnegie off the park. Real bite in every tackle and a much improved lineout. Take a bow Sam Matavesi.

Some excellent handling from the backs despite the strong wind....the pass that put O'Meara in the corner in the second half was sublime.

Roll on Doncaster next week.

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 17:50
As 1908 says, we kept Mikey quiet and our scrum was awesome against a big Leeds forward pack. Got a bit nervous when Morgs got sin-binned and they got back to within a score, but we finished strongly and 5-0 against the third placed team can't be bad.

Pirate15 (IP Logged)
25 February, 2018 18:54
Tremendous effort by our pack to dominate the bigger YC forwards particularly at scrum time.Our line out was better but still needs to be more consistent as we are missing out on scoring opportunities in our opponents 22 as it continues to misfire.Huge defensive effort which prevented them getting onto the front foot and you could sense their frustration as things boiled over at scrum time.Although we lost our way midway through the 2nd half as they closed the gap to 5 points we regrouped and finished the game strongly to get a hard earned bonus point win.

cornishbob (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 09:09
Sadly couldn't make it yesterday but a welcome 5 pts against a top 3 side. I wonder with such a stiff swirling wind was kicking out of the question? That being so we had to keep ball in hand which allowed the backs to run and pass the ball instead of chasing it, does anyone think that not having to chase so much made the difference compared to recent weeks.

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 09:43
Quote:
cornishbob
Sadly couldn't make it yesterday but a welcome 5 pts against a top 3 side. I wonder with such a stiff swirling wind was kicking out of the question? That being so we had to keep ball in hand which allowed the backs to run and pass the ball instead of chasing it, does anyone think that not having to chase so much made the difference compared to recent weeks.
I think the kicking game is much maligned. Yesterday we kicked at the right times, accurately and chased really well. Trying to run the ball from everywhere sounds good, but is fraught with danger - knowing when to run and when to kick, then to do it well is the key IMO.

1908 (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 17:45
We kicked well on Sunday. Thought Cargill controlled the game really well. And as Stalwart said....the chase was good. Some good variations from our 10. Some little chips over the top mixed in with longer kicks kept the YC back 3 guessing.

All in all a very,very good performance.

cornishbob (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 18:01
Stawart, I'm not saying the kicking game doesn't have a part to play at the right times - it does. But aimless kicking instead of either running the ball or just keeping possession as we have seen at times is counter-productive.

Pirate15 (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 18:29
There is so much preparation put into games that I doubt any of the kicks are 'aimless'. The majority of kicks are from planned situations to either clear our lines or put pressure on our opponents. The difference between a good kick and a poor one is the execution including the chase.

cornishbob (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 18:44
Pirate 15 in a perfect world yep I agree. But on more than one occasion this season we have heard it said by the coaches that the game plan wasn't adhered to and some poor thinking was involved. I'm not criticising the team or the coaches, none of us are perfect (except for someone from 4 lanes) merely expressing a view.

Pirate15 (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 19:18
Cornishbob,
I'm all for healthy debate and a different point of view but not adhering to the game plan or poor thinking doesn't always relate to kicking. Kicking is an important part of every teams game plan. Ireland for example kick quite a lot but with half backs of the quality of Murray and Sexton their kicks are very accurate and very rarely fail to achieve their outcomes. I'm amazed how much time is spent on here discussing the amount of kicking in a match. I'm actually more concerned about our inability to complete line outs in our opponents 22. Yesterday we were clearly the better scrum but their line out was superior to ours. Its not the first time this season that our line out has been our achilles heel and have cost us crucial field position/points and ultimately the game.

piratepilot (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 20:11
The Pirates' kicking is never aimless, there's always a plan behind it, but perhaps often poorly executed. For all the poor kicks we've seen, there have been plenty of excellent kicks from our backs that have put pressure on the opponents or resulted in us regaining possesion further up-field. It's easy to forget the ones that work and the focus on the ones the don't.

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
26 February, 2018 20:20
Quote:
Pirate15
Cornishbob,
I'm all for healthy debate and a different point of view but not adhering to the game plan or poor thinking doesn't always relate to kicking. Kicking is an important part of every teams game plan. Ireland for example kick quite a lot but with half backs of the quality of Murray and Sexton their kicks are very accurate and very rarely fail to achieve their outcomes. I'm amazed how much time is spent on here discussing the amount of kicking in a match. I'm actually more concerned about our inability to complete line outs in our opponents 22. Yesterday we were clearly the better scrum but their line out was superior to ours. Its not the first time this season that our line out has been our achilles heel and have cost us crucial field position/points and ultimately the game.
I think a lot of the problem with the line out has been the injuries sustained by our hookers. We've had Channon, Cowan-Dickie, Fish, Frost and now Matevesi at hooker, as well as several different combinations in the second row. Matevesi is beginning to settle in, having not played at hooker very much prior to coming to us, and rightly got MoM on Sunday.

Cowship Pirate (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 17:07
They may have to come down on skis unless Santa can be woken up.

Perran Pirate (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 17:15
Has someone forgotten to send the BBC a report on the match? All there is on the bbc Cornwall news site is the story about the game being played at last
It seems that a brilliant victory like this is just the sort of publicity the S4C needs at the moment!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net