rugbyunion
Latest News:
Unofficial Cornish Pirates Fans Forum

B&I Cup
Pirate15 (IP Logged)
01 May, 2018 19:45
Is the B&I cup finished or is there a new format in the offing?
Scottish Rugby Union today announced the 6 clubs who have successfully bid for a place in the SRU Super 6 league. This league is an attempt in Scotland to bridge the gap between the Professional Regional clubs(Glasgow and Edinburgh) and the amateur game by bringing in a semi-professional level.
How is that going to effect the Pirates,well one of the clubs Ayr RFC made this statement ""Ayr RFC are excited to have achieved Super 6 status and looking forward to playing in the new set-up and, in particular, the cross-border competition as Ayr are the only Scottish team to have reached the quarter-finals in the B&I Cup."

Re: B&I Cup
*Stalwart (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 08:25
"Cross border" sounds like these clubs will be included in some form of competition with English league teams. Will this be a new cup competition, or a rehash of the B and I?

1spy (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 08:54
No point running another Cup unless the RFU fund it properly and get a high profile sponsor.

old prop steve (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 09:28
The RFU had better hurry up and announce something!

Having dumped the playoffs as undermining the regular league (funny how they still keep it in the Premiership and then hypocritically wring their hands about our top players getting burnout!!) Championship clubs surely can't be expected to survive on 11 home games a season.

The Anglo Welsh Cup isn't massively popular either - Exeter won it at a half empty Kingsholm. Perhaps a two leg knockout competition involving Championship and Premiership clubs could be tried. The Premiership clubs would inevitably use it to give squad members some game time but it might still be worth a try for a couple of years to see how it went.

I would not be against going back to a 14 or even a 16 club Championship as we had a few seasons ago - providing of course they didn't reduce the RFU grants given to each club. Apart from the resurgent Coventry, Darlington and our friends at Plymouth Albion are probably just as equipped to compete at this level as say a Hartpury or a Richmond.

What do others on here think?

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 11:32
Agree with everything you say, Steve - but it's far too logical for PRL and the RFU to get it sorted.
I've just read an article in The Mail, by Charles Sale, that says that the new state of the art hospitality facility at Twickenham has gone over budget from 51m to 82m. Then I see a quote from an RFU spokeswoman that says: "The RFU is a not for profit organisation which invests all the money we make into the game of rugby."
Like so many politicians and Lords these people live in a parallel universe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2018 11:35 by *Stalwart.

wigston pirate (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 15:17
In the past few weeks Gavin has mentioned the PRL and Championship should have a knock out cup with the B & I going. The B&I concept was a good idea at first but soon dropped off once Thickening was no longer the destination at the end as was accomplished when Pirates played Exeter for the EDF final.

(Sm109)

Eastanglianpirate (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 16:34
Ah yes, Thickening, the HQ of the RFU 🤡

Pirate15 (IP Logged)
02 May, 2018 17:00
The B&I cup is a good idea on paper but with the RFU failing to promote it not only in England but with other rugby unions it was almost guaranteed to fail.If it had been supported by the RFU and they had taken a lead role I'm pretty sure the other unions would have followed and a sponsor could have been found. The proposed cup competition for next season of championship clubs playing 3 other clubs 4 times seriously risks diluting the product and not only will crowds fall but it will harm the league as well. A properly funded/promoted B&I cup involving the other Unions 2nd tier clubs can be successful but only if the RFU take their responsibilities to promote the game at all levels seriously.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net