rugbyunion
Latest News:
Unofficial Cornish Pirates Fans Forum

New Cup Competition
Longrockerz2 (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 10:41
Just had an email from the club about season tickets, it also said that there will be an "Option to keep your seat for the 3 additional purchases for New Cup Competition, (same format as B+I Cup)" Will be interesting to find out who's sponsoring it and what it's going to be called.

Re: New Cup Competition
Pirate15 (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 11:10
There was s discussion on the Rolling Maul forum that the championship clubs will play each other in cup competition. Three pools of 4 based on regions which I think put us with Jersey, Hartpury and possibly Bedford.
I don't think thats going to sppeal to the fans but now the premiership have decided to go it alone with their own cup its left the championship clubs on their own. I guess we can forget any increase in funding or sponsorship. My biggest concern is that this proposal will water down the championship to the casual viewer.

cornishbob (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 13:46
Whichever way you look at it, the championship needs something other than the league. I suppose whatever is proposed will be better than nothing BUT it will die on it's feet for those clubs that struggle, at least with the B&I formula you had fresh blood every year to keep you interested. All this is supposition right now so lets see what they come up with. Personally I would be in favour of an FA cup style knock out competition open to all, it doesn't have to include the AP sides and it will bring smaller clubs into the reckoning and I'm guessing attract a sponsor much more easily than a competition within a 12 club league.

old prop steve (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 17:47
This competition sounds about as thrilling as cold rice pudding.

Surely somebody could have shown a tiny bit of imagination. If the Scots and Welsh dont want to play how about a cup competition involving the Championship and the Second Tier in France?

The RFU seem to have a 'Cant do/Its all much too hard' attitude.

rgre (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 19:48
Steve
Youíve hit the nail on the head as ever.
We tried to suggest a competition involving the Premiership A teams and the Championship teams on a league basis Š la B&I Cup.
It would have given us some juicy games.
Didnít get past go on the drawing board.
Never found out why.
Hopeless- at least we have the stadium to look forward to and hopefully a good final season at the good old Mennaye,
Best
RGRE

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 20:47
Beating your head against a brick wall as always with the RFU. But as Dicky says, we have a lot to be excited about and I, for one, hope we sign off from The Mennaye in style. Can't wait for the first game at the new stadium, what a day that will be. Thankfully we'll still be able to watch rugby at The Mennaye with The Ams, Colts and mini/juniors.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net