rugbyunion
Latest News:
Unofficial Cornish Pirates Fans Forum

Reasons for optimism.
old prop steve (IP Logged)
21 July, 2018 11:55
Despite the frustrations over the seemingly interminable delays over the new stadium there is much to look forward to for the coming season as the staffing has been significantly strengthed both on and (just as importantly for the mid-term future) off the field as well.

Last year our own full time squad was down to a mere 28 (25 if you subtract Paul Andrew, Bar Bartlett and Angus Taylor none of whom ever featured) and we are now up to 33 and have at last addressed our weaknesses in the lock and centre positions. It also would seem that we may have continued support from Keast and Caulfield. On the assumption that we get one or two more Dual registereds this looks a strong squad.

Sorry Toby May decided to move on from pro rugby and Di Battista also did well for us but generally the pedigrees of the newcomers seem on paper at least to be far better than those who have left. Furthermore with Morgs now a player/coach the age of the squad looks promising with only 2 players over 28.

Off the field we now have an extra coach, an extra analyst, a dedicated finance director, a much strengthened community team, a project manager for the stadium, Robin James as general manager plus Jan Rendall expanding his time as well. Just as importantly we have retained the knowledge, experience and commitment of Tom Magill, Phil Westren and Sue Read who all battled away brilliantly on our behalf when things were looking decidely dicey a year or so ago.

I for one feel more upbeat about our prospects than I have for about five or six years.

Onwards and upwards!

Re: Reasons for optimism.
SAWTRY_PIRATE (IP Logged)
21 July, 2018 16:38
A great post Steve. I fully agree with all you have said.
With the current squad, I am expecting a top four finish again next season.
Bring it on!!

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
22 July, 2018 12:59
Well said, Steve. Really looking forward to the new season.

KarlMarx (IP Logged)
23 July, 2018 18:40
I couldn't agree more Steve. Things are definitely looking very positive on and off the field.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I may have been born a Londoner, and it may have taken me thirty six years to discover my destiny, but one thing is certain - I was born to be a Pirate! (Sm109)

wigston pirate (IP Logged)
26 July, 2018 19:11
Another fine article Steve and how the club seems to have progressed in 12 months has been fantastic and looking good. Last season had Pirates down for 6th to 8th place. This season feel a top 4 is achievable and looking forward to my first game away to Hartbury.

(Sm109)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net