rugbyunion
Latest News:
Unofficial Cornish Pirates Fans Forum

Ones That Got Away
One Eyed Pirate (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 08:35
Just for a bit of nostalgia, I was wondering who people would have on their list of players who they were most sad/disappointed to lose from the Pirates?

I'm not really thinking of the really top top quality players like Dave Ward and that blonde centre we pinched from Albion who moved on to quins (what was his name again?) who were obviously always destined for bigger things (although a complete list of all Pirates who went off to premiership or equivalent clubs would be very interesting), but the ones who people didn't expect to lose.

I think the most shocking one for me has to be losing McAtee - one of the best wingers we have ever had and came as a huge shock as he was still relatively young (27 or so and seemed so settled at the Pirates?). I still remember when he joined us as an 18 year old from Worcester along with We Davies like it was yesterday!

Then there were four Cornishmen who all looked to be absolute stars at this level and easily capable of playing at a higher level - Steve Thomas, the man mountain Collings, and the winger Lewis Winnecombe. They were all seriously fine players and really stood out in the short time they were with us. So sad that they didn't stick around. Wedlake seems to be doing pretty well at the moment - really hope he doesn't just disappear in the same way.

Then there was another 2nd row Cornishman, whose name escapes me for the moment, who left us for Leeds - I was fully expecting him to leave because he always looked like premiership material to me, but to lose him to a fairly mediocre championship club (I think lower than us at the time) came as very sad news. Maybe he could do a prodigal son thing, like Gavin Cattle and Wes Davies did smiling smiley

Then there was Jimmy Moore - a real fan favourite and a great player. It was so sad to see him retire so early - wish we could have had him for a few more years.

Re: Ones That Got Away
SAWTRY_PIRATE (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 09:41
OEP,I think the second row whose name eludes you is Mike Myerscough. He, like Matt Smith (not Cornish) both left for Leeds, and are currently still there.
The blonde centre was Matty Hopper. I rated him very highly! I believe he is playing in France for Oyannax.
As you say, another huge loss was Luke Collins.
Lets hope losing star and potentially star players will be a thing of the past when we are playing in the new stadium.

SJP (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 09:43
That could turn out to be a long list so I'll just throw a few names into the pot:-

Joe Bearman; Sam Betty; Carl Rimmer; Mike Myerscough; Ben Gulliver.

EDF Trophy Winners 2007
B & I Cup Winners 2010

SAWTRY_PIRATE (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 09:55
Phil Burgess

Falmouth_Pirate (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 20:38
Its tough to define "players we didnt expect to lose", so I just included all past pirates players I could think of.

For what its worth, I have tried to stay away from Exeter dual registered players, but had to include Nowell and LCD as they both played for pirates at a junior level!!

Missing a 12....

1. Carl Rimmer
2. Luke Cowan Dickie / Darren Dawiduk / Dave Ward
3. Paver (he left on loan to Exeter for a short time...is it too early to say Judge?)
4. Will James
5. Darren Barry
6. Sam Betty
7. Phil Burgess
8. Joe Bearman
9. Tom Kessell
10. Gareth Steenson
11. Matt Jess
13. Matt Hopper
14. Jack Nowell
15. Rob Cook

Not a bad team!

Pirate4ever (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 23:11
How about our captain from last season??????

Falmouth_Pirate (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 06:32
Chris Morgan is great, but not sure I would play him at 12... I'll admit I don't actually know who took the captains badge when he was injured.

Just realised I missed Blair Cowan as well - he would undoubtedly take a spot in the back row.

Cowship Pirate (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 07:55
Alberto di Barnardo

Eastanglianpirate (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 16:50
I,ll chip in with a couple of great Welsh centres, Steve Wynn from about 6 seasons ago and from 2 seasons ago Tom Riley - was surprised that they weren't signed on for more seasons.

Salty Dog (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 17:08
Nat Sammi, Villi Miassi? FP has noted most of them.

7Re: Ones That Got Away
welshpirate (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 17:33
Iva Motusaga-the jet! Heino Senekal! Lodewijk Hattingh! Tim Cowley-best no8 ever ! Gav Cattle our best scrum half ever. Jonny Bentley-best outside half. Drew Locke. Fats brothers. Alex Cheeseman. Villi of course. Rob Thirlby. Dave Ward-oustanding individual. My all time favourite has to be Rhodri- beautiful tries, the best against Coventry at Kenwyn when the whole ground stood and applauded him back to the half way line. Grant Pointer. Chris Cracknell. Dan Seal....Great memories!

2Harbourview (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 17:52
Good shout re the mighty W EAP. A bad mistake not to resign him, we really missed his class and durability the next season. And that's not just because he was Newlyn Steak Club sponsored

Salty Dog (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 18:18
Victor Olonga - speed and agility.

SJP (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 22:46
Duncan Roke.

EDF Trophy Winners 2007
B & I Cup Winners 2010

2Harbourview (IP Logged)
09 October, 2018 08:55
Duncan works as a rep now for my old company

One Eyed Pirate (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 07:42
Roke was great but seem to remember he was no spring chicken. What ever happened to Drewe lock and Tom Riley then (both in their prime)... As you say, EAP, both great players.

I think we did keep Steve Winn for one more season in the end, after we all expressed how disappointed we were that he wasn't being kept on.

Pirate4ever (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 11:37
I googled it.....Nicolas De Battista was who I was thinking of....but I'd probably have Winn over him...or Locke who was a brilliant partnership with JB at 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net