rugbyunion
Latest News:
Unofficial Cornish Pirates Fans Forum

London Irish v Pirates
Pirate15 (IP Logged)
26 October, 2018 10:11
A couple of changes to last weeks side with Tom Cowan-Dickie starting at Hooker and Callum Paterson in the centre. Great to see Marlen Walker in the squad for the first time this season after recovering from an injury picked up in pre-season.
Full match preview on the club website.

Re: London Irish v Pirates
Pirate15 (IP Logged)
26 October, 2018 11:44
London Irish squad with ex-Pirate Blair Cowan starting at open-side.
15 Luke McLean, 14 Topsy Ojo, 13 Brendan Macken, 12 Bryce Campbell, 11 Ollie Hassell-Collins, 10 Ben Meehan, 9 Brendan McKibbin, 1 Danny Hobbs-Awoyemi, 2 Motu Matu’u, 3 Ollie Hoskins, 4 Josh McNally (c), 5 Teofilo Paulo, 6 Jake Schatz, 7 Blair Cowan, 8 Matt Rogerson
Replacements: 16 Dave Porecki, 17 Harry Elrington, 18 Patric Cilliers, 19 Barney Maddison, 20 Conor Gilsenan, 21 Stephen Myler, 22 Ciaran Hearn

Smudge21 (IP Logged)
26 October, 2018 13:50
Should be a good game, a bit nervous as it's a real makeshift back line for us due to injury! See some of you tomorrow!

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
27 October, 2018 09:23
Quote:
Hugo.LI
Should be a good game, a bit nervous as it's a real makeshift back line for us due to injury! See some of you tomorrow!
Getting your excuses in early!

bolingey pirate (IP Logged)
27 October, 2018 14:36
H/T - Irish 26 Pirates 8

SJP (IP Logged)
27 October, 2018 15:14
33 - 29 to Irish last I heard but game still going.

EDF Trophy Winners 2007
B & I Cup Winners 2010

bolingey pirate (IP Logged)
27 October, 2018 15:15
Final Score Irish 40 Pirates 29 Four try bonus point...great result considering the half time score, and Brett Beukeboom yellow carded for the last few minutes.....could have been a losing bonus point until the last few minutes...so very close !!

Heaf (IP Logged)
27 October, 2018 15:21
38-29 I think - conversion was missed ...

Pirate15 (IP Logged)
27 October, 2018 16:19
Great 2nd half from the boys to get a 4 try bonus point but a pity the last minute try from Irish denied us a losing bonus point as well. The damage was done in the 1st half when Irish scored 4 tries with 3 of them coming from catch and drives. Our set piece 'wobbled' again which made it difficult to maintain pressure in our opponents 22 and made it easier for them to clear their lines. I believe we are equal 3rd going into the 6 week break for the cup matches.

MullionPirate (IP Logged)
27 October, 2018 16:23
Just travelling back after the game..... left feeling this was a golden opportunity that has slipped through our fingers.... at 33-22 and Irish down to 13 we didn't seen to know how to stretch them and kept kicking possession away instead..... in the end their maul was the difference which we struggled to defend. I do sometimes think refs favour the attacking side too much in a maul. On a couple if occasions the Irish were able to rebuild the maul in what looked suspiciously like obstruction. Ah well, if we'd done it we'd be applauding it I suppose. Can't fault pirates for their effort and for hanging in and wedlakes try was a thing of beauty (pirates actually played most of the running rugby).... but I can't help feeling this was one that got away.....

SixNineOne (IP Logged)
27 October, 2018 18:44
As an Irish supporter, I have to say your guys gave us a real scare. Well done! The return leg should be a corker. I can see how you've done well this season as your running and offloading game was often excellent, but it was let down by some suspect set pieces and needless kicking away of possession. Fortunately for you, Irish seems determined to return the favour with some particularly aimless kicking without any effective kick-chase. But the real disappointment in a thrilling game was the referee, Ian Tempest, Who had a shocker - lots of forward passes and in-the-air tackles got ignored - I think we both deserve better.

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
27 October, 2018 19:43
Agree with Mullion that we did miss a big opportunity having dragged ourselves back to within one score. Probably just lacked a bit of composure when Irish went down to 13, although we did eventually use the space and scored a good try. We conceded a pretty soft try early in the second half with a couple of missed tackles, but apart from that we were the better side from half time onwards. The set piece was good, apart from the first scrum which went backwards at a worrying rate - but we sorted it after that. The line out, too was pretty good except we messed up two on our own throw five metres from the Irish line. Frustratingly we had another chance, caught the ball successfully, then got pinged for obstruction. In contrast Irish were very clinical in that area and scored four tries from catch and drives.
Have to say Irish are a pretty boring team, just playing to their strength in the pack and playing a low risk game plan based on kicking and then trying to pressurise the opposition. Effective but tedious.
In contrast Pirates played some exciting running rugby, only spoiled by a few careless handling errors at crucial times. Stunning try by Wedlake, and Kyle was brilliant at full back - rock solid under the high ball and dangerous whenever he joined the line.
We can definitely beat them when they come to The Mennaye.

JamesC (IP Logged)
27 October, 2018 21:42
Boring but top. Will settle for that for now.

Pirates kept going for full 80 mins - definitely a handful

1spy (IP Logged)
28 October, 2018 07:10
JamesC "Boring but top". Unfortunately not good enough for survival when promoted back into to the Premiership league.

JamesC (IP Logged)
28 October, 2018 12:07
Hence the “for now” qualification. Our pack is not too shabby but backs yet to get going properly. No risk of complacency I can assure you.

Heaf (IP Logged)
28 October, 2018 12:49
Losing Big Joe, Lewie and Johhny at the end of last season and now having Parton and Loader long term sick and still waiting for Nalaga, Bell and Fowlie to feature all haven't helped the backs situation ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/10/2018 23:12 by Heaf.

HampshirePirate (IP Logged)
29 October, 2018 11:30
I was also at the game. Haven't seen the Pirates play this season but they looked very good going forward. Wedlake's try was exceptional given the space he had. Shame we didn't get the ball to him after that. The Irish forwards were clearly well coached and executed the catch and drive very efficiently. It's difficult to convert kicks to the corner into tries each time- we failed once or twice in the match ourselves. Probably a bit easier if you have a bloke the size of the Irish 5 who was a monster! In addition, to concede only 7 points when down to 13 was impressive. We know what it's like to lose top players who've had years of coaching to Prem clubs. The Irish fans sitting around us all seemed a great bunch and we had a good chat at half time (although it was looking pretty dicey for the Pirates at that point!) Best of luck for the season. Hopefully the game at the Mennaye Stadium will see just as many tries, but the Pirates taking home the 5 points.

Pirate15 (IP Logged)
29 October, 2018 12:12
Robin Wedlake's brilliant individual score is up for the championship try of the week.
Lets get voting.

Geoff DC (IP Logged)
29 October, 2018 13:16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net