rugbyunion
Latest News:
Unofficial Cornish Pirates Fans Forum

London Irish v Pirates
Pirate15 (IP Logged)
16 November, 2018 11:14
The pirates have made a number of changes to the starting XV for this weekend's game. A number of players are unavailable due to international call ups and D/R players back at Exeter.
Full preview on the club website.

Re: London Irish v Pirates
*Stalwart (IP Logged)
16 November, 2018 12:32
Good to see a few players getting a chance - this is a tough task, but they'll give it 100% and you never know.

Pirate15 (IP Logged)
18 November, 2018 21:34
A heavy defeat for the Pirates against an experienced Irish side. We were under pressure in the set piece and conceded a number of penalties. Gavin Cattle admitted that there is a big gulf between the strength of the 2 squads in his post match comments but still found a few positives in the performance. Hopefully a positive response this week at home to Hartpury.

cheshire exile (IP Logged)
19 November, 2018 20:17
Salutary lesson. Itís a nonsense competition but a trip to London Irish canít be taken lightly and itís to be hoped that the youngsters confidence wonít have been dented too much.

Jolly Woodhouse (IP Logged)
20 November, 2018 11:32
Agree the cup is a nonsense competition
Real issue is Government funding

old prop steve (IP Logged)
20 November, 2018 15:00
Agree about the boring competition.

If the Premiership, Scots. Irish and Welsh don't want to know us then I would actually prefer us to play against National One clubs than this - at least there would be some novelty interest. There are only a finite number of times you can go to watch Pirates and Bedford!

I somehow just couldn't be bothered to go which is not like me.

A competition involving Tier 2 clubs from France and Italy might be interesting though.

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
20 November, 2018 15:14
The problem with having a competition against Nat 1 clubs is that their league is much bigger than the Championship so there wouldn't be enough time in the season to fit in a cup competition.
A cup involving Tier 2 clubs in France and Italy would be very attractive.

TryBlues (IP Logged)
20 November, 2018 22:25
As a Blues fan I totally agree, for us clubs who have been in the division for a long time and really no movement in clubs in the league to potentially play you 5 times gets a little boring however exciting our games can be.

The biggest nonsense is the local derby element which clearly whoever devised the competition didn't know where Bedford was located. I would suggest us swapping with either Jersey or Coventry would have made it more local for clubs.

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
21 November, 2018 09:50
Quote:
TryBlues
As a Blues fan I totally agree, for us clubs who have been in the division for a long time and really no movement in clubs in the league to potentially play you 5 times gets a little boring however exciting our games can be.
The biggest nonsense is the local derby element which clearly whoever devised the competition didn't know where Bedford was located. I would suggest us swapping with either Jersey or Coventry would have made it more local for clubs.

Clearly what's happened is that the London Clubs are grouped, the northern clubs are grouped and Pirates and Bedford get left over and stuck in the same group. It's a dog's breakfast.

2Harbourview (IP Logged)
22 November, 2018 13:17
Try Blues - feel your pain on geographic incoherence. In a preview to one of our games a few years ago one of the papers, and it was a broadsheet, talked about the West Country derby between Worcester and the Cornish Pirates! West of London I suppose

wigston pirate (IP Logged)
22 November, 2018 15:31
Sorry to say like several comments on the forum cannot show any enthusiasm for this competition. Feel sorry for the club been frog marched into this competition I really do. There should be a knock out competition involving Premier and Championship clubs which I believe would be well supported as the Premier would put out some academy players to start and after a couple of seasons see the different players coming out then to compete' As mentioned feel sorry for the club and looking forward to the Championship kicking in again come December.

(Sm109)

cornishbob (IP Logged)
22 November, 2018 15:55
I suppose the only good thing about this cup is that it gives fringe players game time while the first choice players are away getting injured in internationals!! The draw back is that a 6 week block will do lots of harm to gates as those that have just started supporting us will drift back to whatever they did before coming to the Mennaye. (Sm109)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net