rugbyunion
Latest News:
Unofficial Cornish Pirates Fans Forum

Where are they now?
AggiePirate (IP Logged)
07 May, 2019 21:49
I was thinking about the great Pirates side which won the Third Division south, and that era generally, and wondered if any supporters knew what had happened to the players subsequently. I was particularly remembering, in no particular order, Nat Saumi, Villi, Victor Olonga, Steve Evans, Richard Carrol, Rocky Newton, Dan Seal, M.R, Lakalaka, among others.

I can also, just about, remember the day we won promotion, forget the name of the opponents but we went on a coach trip to Orpington or somewhere like that, and Dave Trembath having to apologise, bless him, for some drunken antics the night before in the hotel bar.

Great times!

Re: Where are they now?
*Stalwart (IP Logged)
07 May, 2019 23:02
Steve Evans has been playing for Pirates Ams for a few seasons now following a spell with Hayle. He's been brilliant and has tried retire a couple of times but always returns when the club needs him. His son also plays for The Ams and it was lovely to see the two of them playing together in a few games this season.

1spy (IP Logged)
08 May, 2019 08:00
Dan Seal retired from Bedford Blues in 2017. He is now Head Coach at another successful side Onley RFC.The Club manages 18 sides including two ladies teams.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2019 08:03 by 1spy.

old prop steve (IP Logged)
08 May, 2019 10:21
Good thread Aggie especially when things are a bit quiet at this time of year. Perhaps people on here can update us all.

To help tie them down the club in opposition was Westcombe Park and the team that day was Olonga Bearman (on the wing!) Saumi Gadsdon Newton Evans Roderick Higgins Ma'asi Seal Haag Hilton Carroll Waqanivere and Penrose with Richards and Morcom as replacements. It was the last match Pirates played before a certain Alan Paver arrived!

One of Vili's sons hooked for England U20 this year and is a rising presence at Northampton. As Ispy says Dan Seal had a good finish to his career at Bedford until injuries got the better of him. He was evidently getting very good treatment there as I heard that he then married the club's physiotherapist!

Joe Bearman joined first Dragons and then moved to Ospreys and was tipped to make the Wales squad on residency grounds when he received a string of frustrating injuries but I am not sure what he does now,

Rocky Newton is a senior officer in the RAF and when I interviewed him for the Pirates Legends book 4 years ago he was already a Squadron Leader and may have made Wing Commander by now?

We all know about Martin Haag who has renewed his associaton with the Pirates.

Nat Saumi finally returned to Fiji after a long spell at Brickfields both as player and coach and was working on sports development for the Fijian government.

Victor Olonga was as elusive to track down as he was on the field. He returned to Zimbabwe to rejoin the Panthers,married and last known to be running a market gardening company in Matabeleland.

Would love to hear of a few more.

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
08 May, 2019 11:17
Remember that day at Westcombe Park. We made a banner saying "Pirates Champions" but couldn't unfurl it until quite late in the game, as it was in the balance for a quite a while. It was great, because the team took the banner and posed behind it for a post match photo. Happy days.

08 May, 2019 17:41
As you all know Laklaka came to Coventry. Last I heard of him a good few years ago now, he was playing for Stoke - on - Trent RFC.

covmick/Michael Carter

cheshire exile (IP Logged)
08 May, 2019 19:15
Some legendary names in there. Is Richard Carroll still on the right side of the law and who is this prop Higgins of whom OPS speaks; canít place him at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2019 11:52 by cheshire exile.

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
09 May, 2019 10:32
Quote:
cheshire exile
Somme legendary names in there. Is Richard Carroll still on the right side of the law and who is this prop Higgins of whom OPS speaks; canít place him at all.
I don't recall him either, Cheshire.

wigston pirate (IP Logged)
09 May, 2019 10:33
What about Kevin Moseley! I recall attending Pertemp Bees and he had a chat with my young son who is now 30 6' 4" and has no interest in rugby at all.

(Sm109)

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
09 May, 2019 17:55
Quote:
wigston pirate
What about Kevin Moseley! I recall attending Pertemp Bees and he had a chat with my young son who is now 30 6' 4" and has no interest in rugby at all.

(Sm109)

Terrible parenting skills Wigston!

SAWTRY_PIRATE (IP Logged)
11 May, 2019 14:17
Three more names for the pot, Sam Heard, Wes Davis and Tom Luke?

cornishbob (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 07:57
Big Sam is busy making boats in his boatyard near Mylor. See him regularly round and about, still looks as though he could do a job in the front row.

1spy (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 08:22
Tom Luke is Head Rugby Coach at St Bedes Catholic College Bristol.

truropirate (IP Logged)
12 May, 2019 16:59
Last time I saw Wes Davis he was working for a local building firm as a carpenter.

2Harbourview (IP Logged)
18 May, 2019 10:19
Heard from Nick Makin recently (our first Newlyn Steak Club biy)- big hitter in the city now, but still spending much time in Crantock.
Duncan Roke is a medical sales rep at my old company
Not heard from Steve Winn (NSC No2) for a while but a couple of years ago he was back in Wales and had started working with disadvantaged children

1spy (IP Logged)
19 May, 2019 12:29
Rob Cook is Assistant Director of Sport at King Edward V1 School Stratford upon Avon.

old prop steve (IP Logged)
19 May, 2019 14:12
Interesting . My grandson Harry is at that school. Sadly he has zero interest in rugby and supports Portsmouth FC for God's sake!!!

wigston pirate (IP Logged)
20 May, 2019 20:09
As Stalwart stated to myself OPS

Terrible Parenting Skills

(Sm109)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net