rugbyunion
Latest News:
Unofficial Cornish Pirates Fans Forum

S4C food for thought - Discuss
cornishbob (IP Logged)
15 May, 2019 19:22
13 May 2019

Newcastle is celebrating a £35m (€40m) boost to the local economy and an enhanced reputation as a sports destination after hosting the finals weekend for the biggest tournament in European rugby union.

Over 100,000 fans and visitors flocked to Newcastle for the European Rugby Challenge and Heineken Champions Cup finals which took place on Friday 10th and Saturday 11th at St James’ Park.

The two matches played out in front of packed crowds in St James’ Park with a UK record 28,438 watching Clermont Auvergne triumph over La Rochelle during Friday’s Challenge Cup final.

A full house of 51,930 packed St James’ Park to see heavyweight teams Saracens and Leinster battle over the Heineken Champions Cup.

To help create a carnival atmosphere the Champions Fan Village was created on the Quayside along with a food, drink and craft market running along Blackett Street and Spectator Plaza outside the stadium.

The 2019 Finals Weekend was delivered by a host of partners, including tournament governing body European Professional Club Rugby Ltd (ECPR) who selected Newcastle to host the prestigious event.

A partnership between Newcastle City Council, NewcastleGateshead Initiative, Newcastle Falcons and Newcastle United FC came together to deliver the event, working alongside other partners such as Northumbria Police and NE1.

Event director Mick Hogan said: “Once again Newcastle has delivered an incredible rugby event played out to a worldwide audience.

“The feedback from supporters, broadcasters, EPCR, the four teams and the local residents has been unbelievably positive.

“It took over two years planning but this has been the biggest rugby event that the city has seen. Over 60,000 people enjoyed our Champions Rugby Village on the quayside and the incredible carnival atmosphere across the city.

"The Heineken Champions Cup Final was the fastest-selling tournament further bolstering the city’s reputation as a world-class sporting destination.

“From the Trophies Tour supported by Go North East, to the tournament app and the 80,000 plus supporters who attended it has been an unprecedented success.”

It was also reported that: Newcastle Airport put on an extra 62 flights and extra 7,500 people used the airport; Hotel occupancy was at 97% over the Friday and Saturday, with 90% over the entire weekend from Thursday – Sunday; and over 2.1 million people interacted with social media posts about the event over the weekend.(Sm109)

Re: S4C food for thought - Discuss
Black Bart (IP Logged)
16 May, 2019 07:37
I was there for both matches and have to say apart from late tickets it was extremely well organised and St James' is a delight to attend, good sight lines, comfortable seats, no queues and friendly helpful staff. The quayside as always was manic. Great weekend with lots of like minded people. Cornwall should do everything they can to attract this sort of event, albeit on a smaller scale.

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
16 May, 2019 08:22
We just need to get it done - but still we wait for the promised government/Sport England funding. Why is it taking so long?

1spy (IP Logged)
16 May, 2019 09:07
Do the Movers and Shakers in Cornwall exist and do they have the vision? On the plus side we have seen some improvement in the last two years at Cornwall Council.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/05/2019 09:08 by 1spy.

ascloseasthis (IP Logged)
16 May, 2019 09:30
Stuck in the dark ages decisions made or should I say not made by a bunch of amateurs masquerading as a council. Disgraceful

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
16 May, 2019 16:18
Quote:
ascloseasthis
Stuck in the dark ages decisions made or should I say not made by a bunch of amateurs masquerading as a council. Disgraceful
To be fair, Cornwall Council have promised the money, but it is dependent on the £3m from central government and that is what seems to have ground to a halt.

16 May, 2019 20:54
Quote:
*Stalwart
Quote:
ascloseasthis
To be fair, Cornwall Council have promised the money, but it is dependent on the £3m from central government and that is what seems to have ground to a halt.

That may be but the delays the council caused were IMO disgraceful. And what does anyone expect from the self serving useless politicians in Westminster

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
16 May, 2019 21:19
Quote:
ascloseasthis
Quote:
*Stalwart
Quote:
ascloseasthis

That may be but the delays the council caused were IMO disgraceful. And what does anyone expect from the self serving useless politicians in Westminster

True - the standard of those "representing" us is at the lowest I can remember (and I've been around a long time!)

1spy (IP Logged)
19 May, 2019 17:30
Colchester Rugby Club will be moving to the Northern Gateway 76 acre Sports Hub next year this multi million complex is being built by Colchester Council. The Government has given £5.5 million towards the development cost.The Leader of the Council said it will bring a massive boost to the local economy.The Secretary of State approved Planning permission on 20th July 2018 and opening planned Autumn 2020.

AggiePirate (IP Logged)
20 May, 2019 18:30
We seem to be getting slightly away from Cornish Bob's post here. What I think he was alluding to was the massive amount of business which came to Newcastle by the staging of the cup final.
St James park is of course one of the biggest stadiums in the country and that could never happen in Cornwall, but on a smaller scale S4C is likely to boost the local economy massively, not just sports but conferencing and promoting the Cornish brand.
I recall being part of a 40,000 plus crowd at Twickenham for the old County Championship. The only other county who could get anywhere near that was Yorkshire and they have nowhere near our support. If Pirates could tap into that who knows....?

Porthusek Pirate (IP Logged)
24 May, 2019 12:00
Personally I don't think this thread is moving away from the original posters inital message at all.
My interpretation of that message being directly to outline the benefits to be had from a premiership standard rugby stadium.
And it is down to local governance to be aware of the benefit of such a stadium for a county like Cornwall, and act accordingly, something which Cornwall Council has failed to do for ten years now, yes ten years.
To attempt to lay at least some of the blame at this stage with the £3 million central government funding is rather missing the target, by a long long way.
Had Cornwall Council been on the ball (if only) they would have pounced on Cameron the moment he pledged financial assistance for S4C on one of his many visits to the Duchy.
But then again had the council been on the ball the stadium would have been in place long before Cameron had had a chance to make such a peldge.
For me the blame lays in one place for this completely unacceptable delay.
And I am fully aware, and very grateful, of the continuing hard work which is going on behind the scenes to bring this project to a successful conclusion. An ongoing thanks for that.

*Stalwart (IP Logged)
24 May, 2019 14:38
What you say is true, Pothusek, but the fact remains that we are where we are and the current sticking point is that central government has failed to come through with the funding that was promised. That funding will then release the equivalent from Cornwall Council and we'll be on our way. I don't understand why it is taking so long.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/05/2019 14:44 by *Stalwart.

25 May, 2019 09:55
£3 mill, a spit in the ocean, surely a private investor could be sought. Don’t rely on this pathetic group of politicians both in Truro and Westminster

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net