Latest news:
Unofficial Cornish Pirates Fans Forum

RFU Yorkshire Carnegie
Discussion started by Pirate15 , 26 July, 2019 17:16
RFU Yorkshire Carnegie
Pirate15 26 July, 2019 17:16
RFU statement on Yorkshire Carnegie

After careful consideration, and in compliance with RFU Regulations, the RFU Board has determined that Yorkshire Carnegie can remain a participant of the Greene King IPA Championship for the 2019/20 season.This is subject to the club satisfying certain conditions relating to the entering into of a Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA). As per RFU Regulation 5.3, a deduction of 28 points for Yorkshire Carnegie will be applicable in the 2019/20 season unless all creditors agree to the terms of the CVA by 9 August 2019.If the club stays up despite the points deduction, or would have been relegated anyway even without the points deduction, then there is a further deduction in the following season.
The case remains subject to review.

Still a doubt that YC will be in the league and if they do make it to the start line they may be subject to a 28 point deduction.

Re: RFU Yorkshire Carnegie
Geoff DC 26 July, 2019 19:38
Quote:
Pirate15
RFU statement on Yorkshire Carnegie.
If the club stays up despite the points deduction, or would have been relegated anyway even without the points deduction,

Since when have Leeds been a club ??

Most Championship teams are club based apart from Leeds & Hartpury if I have my info correct

welshpirate 27 July, 2019 02:04
Leeds are a total disgrace, Richmond should have stayed up without doubt. The RFU should have acted much sooner.

AggiePirate 27 July, 2019 17:35
Why are Yorkshire Carnigie being referred to as 'Leeds'?
Would we like it if Cornish Pirates were described as 'Penzance'?

Geoff DC 27 July, 2019 17:45
Quote:
AggiePirate
Why are Yorkshire Carnigie being referred to as 'Leeds'?
Would we like it if Cornish Pirates were described as 'Penzance'?

People from Newlyn would be pi**ed Off (Sm146)

Pirate15 27 July, 2019 18:27
Understandably Richmond are not happy with the RFU decision and have asked them for a review.
STATEMENT ON BEHALF OF RICHMOND FC

Richmond are disappointed with the decision of the RFU Board that Yorkshire Carnegie can remain a Championship Club and will be seeking a review of that decision.

Indeed, Richmond as an interested party have been in discussions with the RFU since April and were subsequently invited to make formal representations to the RFU board subcommittee considering the position. These representations were extensive. Richmond believe that Yorkshire Carnegie should be relegated from the Championship and that Richmond (who have remained financially solvent for many years) should be reinstated.

The reality is that Yorkshire Carnegie stand to suffer no sanction whatsoever as any potential points deduction is to all intents and purposes illusory. It arises only if a creditor refuses to sign up to their CVA and all have signed up already. Accordingly, it would appear that despite their dire financial position and the cancellation of contracts of players drafted in to rescue them from likely relegation, Yorkshire Carnegie remain a Championship Club.

Peter Moore, a director of Richmond said, “It cannot be in the best long-term interests of the Game that Clubs can run up debts of over £6m and cancel players’ contracts. We are very disappointed with the RFU decision which we will ask to be reviewed.”.

Pursuant to that process, Richmond will be asking for full transparency and in particular to see the recommendations together with the written reasons that were made by the subcommittee to the RFU Board.

As Peter Moore goes on to say, “Despite our extensive submissions all that we have seen is a brief RFU statement”.

Richmond intend to make the application for the RFU’s decision to be reviewed early next week.

Perran Pirate 30 July, 2019 01:34
Why do we refer to Y.C. as 'Leeds' ?

Because that's what they are... like us they are a result of the combination of two old neighbouring clubs - Roundhay and Headingly.
The re-branding as 'Yorkshire' Carnegie was the latest in a series of name changes. presumably to reflect funding interests.
The 'Yorkshire' title was a bit of arrogance that ignored Donny and Roth., to mention only two!

( And although after half a century of living here I see things almost totally from a Cornish perspective, a long time ago I used to row for Leeds University, and still remember the power of the shouts of 'Leeds! Leeds!' that used to spur us on. I wonder, does anyone shout 'Yorkshire Carnegie! ' at all.. ?? )

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 30/07/2019 01:37 by Perran Pirate.

*Stalwart 30 July, 2019 14:42
This is a disgrace. Richmond have run their club properly. They should be reinstated and Yorkshire relegated as they avoided relegation by bringing in a load of players they couldn't afford.

Longrockerz1 30 July, 2019 17:50
Quite agree Stalwart. Also Richmond were relegated partly because Hartpury brought in a load of loan players for the last few matches which dug them out of a hole but resulted in Richmond going down.

almostatyke 30 July, 2019 20:24
Sorry to spoil the "bayonet the wounded" approach seemingly fashionable in the Championship at present.
Fact one: Yorkshire Carnegie were 6th not 11th last season.
Fact two: the players who got us to that position were paid in full. Including your present DoR. Thus we paid for the 6th position.
Fact three: our backer was back-stabbed by his business partner meaning that the funds available for next season suddenly became unavailable without warning. Nobody was given a contract in bad faith. Our debtors were players/coaches that had contracts for our onslaught on promotion next season, and they do not come cheap. Players and coaches demand a premium for descending into the ugly Championship. One player has retired and is actually receiving 15% of a salary that he would not have earned.

I have always regarded your board as a beckon of the Championship, please do not let that slip.

cheshire exile 30 July, 2019 20:58
How many players do you currently have contracted ? Nothing to do with our board.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/07/2019 13:35 by cheshire exile.

cornishbob 30 July, 2019 21:41
Alls fair in love and war, lets not let this descend into a slanging match.

*Stalwart 30 July, 2019 22:20
OK, I'll leave it there, but Richmond certainly have a right to be peed off.

old prop steve 31 July, 2019 17:03
We Pirates were perilously close to being in a glasshouse ourselves not so long ago. Probably best not to throw any more stones!

Renaming ourselves the Cornish Pirates didn't exactly meet with a universal round of applause around the Duchy either if memory serves me right.

Life is tough enough for all clubs in the Championship so lets knock hell out of one another ON the pitch and back each other up as best we can OFF it.

1spy 01 August, 2019 15:15
Good post Steve.

Pirate15 03 August, 2019 16:15
There's a bit of a 'stink' brewing on social media about the YC situation after they announced their first signing of Joe Ford as player/coach from Leicester.
Ex-player Dan Temm who I believe has signed for Bedford has gone public with an unpaid medical bill that he has been sent after the company was unable to get payment from the club. He is questioning how the club can start recruiting 'new' players when agreements with last years squad have not been honoured.
There is a lot of comment about this questioning the wisdom of the RFU allowing them to continue for this season.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2019 16:18 by Pirate15.

*Stalwart 04 August, 2019 09:31
Quote:
old prop steve
We Pirates were perilously close to being in a glasshouse ourselves not so long ago. Probably best not to throw any more stones!
Renaming ourselves the Cornish Pirates didn't exactly meet with a universal round of applause around the Duchy either if memory serves me right.

Life is tough enough for all clubs in the Championship so lets knock hell out of one another ON the pitch and back each other up as best we can OFF it.

I think our situation was a bit different. We, at least, retained our Pirates name, and we were/are the only Championship/professional team in Cornwall. Since then Lanson have become Cornish All Blacks and nobody seems to mind (except the All Blacks!) I know it caused a few moans at the time, but most people are over it now.
The situation at Leeds is not just about the name - it's about how they have treated creditors and former players and how they seem to have been cut a lot of slack from the RFU. It's also tough on Richmond who run their club responsibly and were relegated because Leeds spent a load of money they didn't have on bringing in players to stave off relegation.
As always with these situations it their supporters who I feel sorry for - seeing their club dragged through the mire because of mismanagement.

almostatyke 06 August, 2019 18:43
I would like to qualify my statement above, which I made in good faith, that Carnegie paid for last season in full. Now it seems certain that some medical bills for players who were putting their bodies on the line on behalf of the club, have bounced back on the players. This seems to be because the medical companies had a contractual right to get 100% from the player and would have only got 15% from the club.

I and the majority of the Carnegie supporters on "Tykesrugby" forum have called on our club to settle these bills, even though it will erode of slim budget for next season. We await a response from our management.

Geoff DC 06 August, 2019 20:51
Quote:
almostatyke
I I and the majority of the Carnegie supporters on "Tykesrugby" forum have called on our club to settle these bills, even though it will erode of slim budget for next season. We await a response from our management.

I am sure we all feel for you at Leeds - but out of interest how many people constitute the Club at the moment apart from Directors & 2 coaches?

Otley, Donny, Titans etc. are clubs - have Leeds ever managed to become a club - apart from some really nice people who follow them win or lose?

AggiePirate 06 August, 2019 21:06
Well said Tyke. I personally abhor what you described as the 'bayonet the wounded' approach which has been evidenced by some contributors on this site. We are all rugby fans, whichever club we follow, or none, and the way supporters are treated by World Rugby, the RFU, the Premier cartel and CVC, to name a few, is a disgrace to the memory of Webb-Ellis.

I personally will never attend a ring-fenced match, even if the Pirates were ever to achieve that lofty status, but that is going slightly off topic. Whatever, good luck to you guys getting your club back on track.

Meanwhile, us mere mortals will continue to be treated like mushrooms.....

Pirate15 08 August, 2019 13:49
There is some good news coming out of YC that an anonymous benefactor has paid the bill for the players medical expenses from last season.

Pirate15 10 August, 2019 12:40
RFU statement released yesterday confirming YC will be in the championship this season and the removal of the 28 point deduction.
"The RFU Board had announced that Yorkshire Carnegie can remain a participant of the Greene King IPA Championship for the 2019-20 season but subject to the club satisfying certain conditions relating to the entering into of a Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA).

The insolvency practitioners supervising the Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA) entered into by Yorkshire Carnegie, Begbies Traynor, have provided confirmation to the RFU that 100% of the club’s creditors have either agreed to the terms of the CVA or been paid in full by third parties.

This information was received by the deadline of 9 August 2019, so as per RFU regulation 5.3 the RFU confirms that the club will not be subject to a deduction of 28 points for the 2019-20 Greene King IPA Championship season."

wigston pirate 10 August, 2019 13:28
With a 28 point deduction now not taken place I still be believe YC will struggle through the season as there appears to be no mention of players been brought in for the start of the season.

(Sm109)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net