Latest News:
25 Feb, 2012 23:42 Report
tom snr (IP Logged)
Date Joined: May, 2007
BLAYDON 17 COVENTRY RUGBY 17 TERRACE VERDICT
It is said that a week in politics is a longtime, and so it appears in rugby, as a Coventry performance full of committment and a game plan bore no semblance to last weeks performance against Macclesfield.
In an attritional game, which at times looked more like an extras set at Hammer Films,Coventry were able to finish the stronger and will perhaps feel aggrieved they could'nt get the win.
At times this was more like the Coventry from the start of the season as the new signings settled in well.
Cov decided this week to play with the advantage of the strong but cold wind.A bright start saw an early Khrist Kopetzky penalty putting them 3 points ahead.
New hooker Will hafu almost went over and Cov took the game to Blaydon with Cov's backs looking more dangerous.Yet the Blaydon pack gave Cov a hard time in the set pieces which looked ominous in the 1st half.
A series of 5m lineouts and scrums led to a Robbie Kalbraier try after a rolling maul.Cov fought back and on 33mins a similar 5 m scrum and pick up by Jamie Harrop saw Brett Daynes finish off with a try giving cov the lead 10-5 after kopetzky converted.The only question at the end of this half would be ,is this lead big enough against the wind.
Andy Weaver now came on for Liam Mather, and the scrum started to get on top of Blaydon.An impressive debut by Tom Hicks both in the lineout and scrum gave Cov a new urgency in the 2nd half.Another home penalty led to the obligatory 5 m linout and rolling maul for No 8 Jason Smithson to go over tying the scores at 10 a piece.
A brilliant Weaver break almost saw Barker and Hafu in but a series of 5 m scrums came to nothing.Against the run of play another 5m lineout to Blaydon was again finished off by Kilbraier, for this time Andrew Baggett to convert giving Blaydon the lead 17-10.
More and more Cov pressure came on led by Barker and Hicks, and a series of 5 m lineout and scrums were finally rewarded on 72mins with a try by capt Matt Tibbatts,Kopetzky made an excellent conv to make it 17 all.
Cov kept pressing on with a series of 5 m scrums only to be thwarted by Blaydon who were 1 man short for the last 16 mins with 2 yellow cards.
With Elliott Read ruled out on the morning of the trip with a broken ankle and James Whybrow also injured late it was a team performance that saw them getting a justified draw, the 1st away game points for some time.
The centre partnership of James Otutaha and Callum MacBurnie provided a good defensive shield.Kopetzky gave a steady performance with good kicking out of hand and got his backs moving quickly.
Will Hafu confirmed his fine form both in the lineout and around the field and should prove an excllent signing, and mention must be made of debutant Tom Hicks whose effort around the field and lineout especially in the 2nd half belied his age.
The back row of Tibbats, Harrop and Daynes had their most effective game for some time.
Overall the team felt disappointment in not getting the win but signs were there that this team was now gelling together and finding the form that was evident at the start of the season.

tom little

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/02/2012 23:49 by tom snr.

ReplyQuote

26 Feb, 2012 08:12 Report
Coventry Steve (IP Logged)
Date Joined: Nov, 2009
Re: BLAYDON 17 COVENTRY RUGBY 17 TERRACE VERDICT
Great report Tom, Thank you . It is good to hear that the team played well .
COME ON COV!!!!!!!!!

ReplyQuote

26 Feb, 2012 08:27 Report
bigm (IP Logged)
im glad they have broken the back of the away trip bogie,one small step at a time...well done to the players especially with the long journey....so what position did chris lee play,probably second row,with p cushing maybe a winger.

ReplyQuote

26 Feb, 2012 09:01 Report
Laugh Out Loud (Dave Roach) (IP Logged)
Thanks Tom. It's nice to read a positive report on a Sunday morning.

ReplyQuote

26 Feb, 2012 12:03 Report
Charliebravo (IP Logged)
Harlech123
Date Joined: Jun, 2009
Thanks Tom.
At least we got a point out of the game, but possibly more importantly it sounds like we started to play like a coherent team with a game plan and with a commitment. Well done to the team for giving a solid performance. May be this will be a watershed for the rest of the season.
I'll be at Rosslyn Park on Saturday - my daughter lives within walking distance from the ground so we'll be spending the weekend down there and I'm going to take my grandson to his first rugby match. How I'd love to see us win. As a number of other contributors have said, let's capitalise on the performance at Blaydon and forge ahead.

ReplyQuote

26 Feb, 2012 12:10 Report
Kimbo (IP Logged)
SK(int)
Date Joined: Jun, 2004
Quote:
CharlieBravo
Thanks Tom.
At least we got a point out of the game, but possibly more importantly it sounds like we started to play like a coherent team with a game plan and with a commitment. Well done to the team for giving a solid performance. May be this will be a watershed for the rest of the season.
I'll be at Rosslyn Park on Saturday - my daughter lives within walking distance from the ground so we'll be spending the weekend down there and I'm going to take my grandson to his first rugby match. How I'd love to see us win. As a number of other contributors have said, let's capitalise on the performance at Blaydon and forge ahead.

This geezer on Rolling Maul obviously don't agree..

Quote:
The Commander
Blaydon v Coventry worst game seen at crowtrees for two years. Blaydon allowed themselves to be dragged down to Coventry's one dimensional forward play. The best think about the game was the full time whstle that put us out of our misery.
Second week in a row ref was abismel Blaydon dominated the scrums but were penalised 3 times for going early. The penalty count was huge against Blaydon at one point we thought he only had one arm!
Well done to Coventry but i honestly can't see them getting many wins more this season if that is the "normal" Coventry game

(Sm150)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/Kimbeau/Cov%20Misc/covsmiley.jpg

ReplyQuote

26 Feb, 2012 12:30 Report
tom snr (IP Logged)
pot calling kettle black i think a series of 3 rolling maul tries to blaydon says it all plus having a "giant lock on the wing who was slower than our real giant lock.
in the end the ref bottled it as blaydon could have had at least 2 more players sent off a pen count of 16/8 says it all. the much vaunted blaydon packs faded badly in the last quarter.

ReplyQuote

26 Feb, 2012 15:20 Report
covkid53 (IP Logged)
Date Joined: Jul, 2008
Well of course Blaydon have been playing open attractive rugby all season in their push for the league title. So I have no doubt this was the worst game there this season.

The reason they are so many places and points clear of us in the division is because of this wonderful brand of total rugby they play week in week out.

What an honour it was for us to be allowed to set foot on such hallowed ground........

"The Commander" a legend in his own mind.

(Sm22)

ReplyQuote

26 Feb, 2012 21:26 Report
Correct me if I'm mistaken but isn't it two points for a draw?

ReplyQuote

27 Feb, 2012 00:14 Report
tom snr (IP Logged)
yes it is could be three if you get 4 tries.

ReplyQuote

27 Feb, 2012 08:42 Report
Charliebravo (IP Logged)
Harlech123
Date Joined: Jun, 2009
Sorry Dave, two points. Should have listened to the teacher. Story of my life.

ReplyQuote

27 Feb, 2012 16:51 Report
Cliff (Sm85)

ReplyQuote
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Message ListLog In

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net